Author Topic: 2008 Windscreen bracket  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
2008 Windscreen bracket
« on: June 08, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
It finally gave up and snapped.  It could have been designed better but it lasted over 10 years holding the screen back.  Pics attached.  The bracket is part of an assembly that lists for $600.

I am hoping that someone out there either has one or knows of one.

Offline Freddy

Re: 2008 Windscreen bracket
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
It can be repaired, I've seen, with some ingenuity tho I haven't done so.  I chose to strengthen mine before that happened.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:21:25 PM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »
It finally gave up and snapped.  It could have been designed better but it lasted over 10 years holding the screen back.  Pics attached.  The bracket is part of an assembly that lists for $600.

I am hoping that someone out there either has one or knows of one.
Were you running an aftermarket screen or other windshield mod that may have caused this?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Tree

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:03:16 PM »
It can be repaired, I've seen, with some ingenuity tho I haven't done so.  I chose to strengthen mine before that happened.

Great minds and all that.  I was thinking of modifying mine the same way.  If I can't get a replacement I'll use your design if that's OK.

Were you running an aftermarket screen or other windshield mod that may have caused this?

The screen was on the bike when I bought it used.  I can't recall who made it (I think they are no longer in business?) but I have read that they were decent screens.  Given that the bracket focused most of the strain in a weak area (by design) makes me happy that it lasted as long as it did.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:32:38 PM »
You should be able to add a piece of metal or some rigid plastic to the underside of the slotted guide and have a 3/16" (4mm) bolt & lock nut hold it together.  That should then do the same thing as my mod, allowing the added piece on the underside to be held in place and slide on the slotted guide.  You shouldn't need a replacement.

EDIT: I should add that it was not my idea/mod.  It was the brainwave of sefj1100 (Scott) on the Australian forum in 2011.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:27:18 PM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Tree

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 06:48:39 PM »
You should be able to add a piece of metal or some rigid plastic to the underside of the slotted guide that and have a 3/16" (4mm) bolt & lock nut hold it together.  That should then do the same thing as my mod, allowing the added piece on the underside to be held in place and slide on the slotted guide.  You shouldn't need a replacement.

I plan on modifying the broken one as you suggest if I can't get a used unbroken one.  I reached out to Mr. Bill and he has one from the bike he is parting out.  I'll see what his asking price is...

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:00:12 PM »
I have a spare but am nervous about giving it up. That is why I asked if you were using a non oem screen. I am running the old oem with Madstat brackets.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:17:59 AM »
I had some other parts of this assembly TIG welded. I didn't have the piece that broke off of this piece, but I really thought that it could have been welded back if I did have it. It really seems like a poor design and I was thinking it would be even stronger if it got welded because there is plenty of space for extra material. I just assumed most people lose the broken piece so you might have other options. The slot seems sensible too.

Offline Tree

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 11:18:02 AM »
I had some other parts of this assembly TIG welded. I didn't have the piece that broke off of this piece, but I really thought that it could have been welded back if I did have it. It really seems like a poor design and I was thinking it would be even stronger if it got welded because there is plenty of space for extra material. I just assumed most people lose the broken piece so you might have other options. The slot seems sensible too.

Unfortunately I do my best "welding" with a soldering iron.  I agree that the piece could easily accept more material to strengthen it.  I just don't have that aluminum welding skill.  Since the bracket is only available as OEM in the form of a $600 assembly I encourage riders to look at their bike and invest in a preemptive repair.

Offline Tree

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 10:27:02 PM »
Done and done.  New/used bracket received and installed.  Thanks to Freddy for the lead and Bill for the bracket.  Bill is parting out a bike in case anyone is interested.  Need a complete motor?  You can find Bill on the "other" site.