Author Topic: fuel hose  (Read 4065 times)

Offline tabb212

fuel hose
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »
Just picked up a 95 Connie and noticed a small leak coming from the fuel hose at the nipple of the fuel tap. The hose may be old and ready to be replaced, the guy at the local bike shop gave me a length of hose he said would fit. It is a snug fit compared to the old one but it is also much thinner than the old. Should I look for the thicker hose instead of trying to put this new hose on the bike?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: fuel hose
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »
The quick answer is it is 5/16" hose you are looking for.  Some like black and some like clear.  Just a word of warning, re-attaching the hose at the carb nipple is pretty tough with the carbs on the bike but can be done with some patience and a good pair of needle-nose pliers.

And welcome to the forum!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline tabb212

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:23:31 AM »
I appreciate your response, I will look to make sure the new hose is 5/16. Question, when I compare the thickness of the old hose to the new one, does it matter, because the new hose is noticeable thinner.

Offline tabb212

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
The thicker hose (the one on the right) is on the bike, the thinner hose is the replacement.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
My thoughts would be it doesn't matter as long as it is fuel line and not vacuum line.  This is not a pressurized system, it is only gravity feed.  I just worked on my boat and used the silver/gray fuel line that is safe for alcohol fuels that is a little thicker walled than the black rubber hose that was on it (1999 vintage).

One of the main concern when someone replaces the fuel line on this particular bike is to get the correct length of hose.  Hook it to the carbs first, then cut to the desired length.  Obviously, use the old hose as a model if it looks correct.  If a kink occurs, it will starve it at high rpm or cause it to act like it is having vapor lock.  As the hose warms from engine heat it can form a bend or kink where a nice arc was when it was cold if its being pushed or tugged.  Watch out for this.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »
My son figured out an easy way to put the hose on the Carbs.
After the old hose is removed and the new hose is cut to approx. the correct length;
 Slide a long "thin" Philips screwdriver thru the inside of the hose with the tip sticking out the end.
 Place the end of the screwdriver inside of the hose barb on the carbs.
 Slide the hose down and over the hose barb of the Tee. (While doing this, take care,,,, DO NOT APPLY FORCE TO HOSE FITTING)
 Remove screwdriver.
The screwdriver I use is 3/16" or 1/4" Diameter and is about 10" long.

Hope this helps,
           Ride safe, Ted

PS: The only problem that might arise from the thinner walled hose is "it might kink more easily than a thicker walled hose".
      When you jnstall the hose, look closely that it is not trying to kink.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:52:18 PM by connie_rider »

Offline Stasch

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Good point Ted.  I just posted a similar procedure for the same original post on the other site.

I would also emphasize keeping pressure OFF the screwdriver or rod that's inserted in the 'T' fuel tube between carbs 2 & 3, so it doesn't get cracked.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
Good point Stash.
I went back and added that "important point" to my original note....

Ride safe, Ted

enim57

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
Place the end of the screwdriver inside of the hose barb on the carbs.
I've been doing this for years using a stiff piece of 3mm (1/8") wire. To slide the hose over the barb more easily put some lubricant (fuel will do) on the inside of the hose and use a twisting motion.

Regards, Russell

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:37:52 AM »
that will work with Tygon because it's really stiff. I seriously doubt it will work with the fuel hose the OP has, it's silicone and very flexible. I have it on my bike. Steve

Offline Summit670

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »
I had planned to try the copper pipe or similar method and use that to guide the tube on, inserting the tube thru the pipe but now I'm wondering. 

Maybe it's possible to have the small wire clamp on the tube by using the screwdriver/wire method and then you wouldn't have to worry about getting that into position afterward.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 12:58:15 PM »
If you have them, use a pair of the 11" needle nose pliers with the long handles and the slightly curved nose (20 degrees) from Harbor Freight to move the spring clamp into position, down in between the carbs, once the hose is in place.  It's a piece of cake with these long curved pliers.  You can get them on sale for $3.99 (worth every penny).  I used standard 5/16 fuel line which slips on and off the carb nipple easily without the need for a guide rod.

enim57

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39:54 PM »
that will work with Tygon because it's really stiff. I seriously doubt it will work with the fuel hose the OP has, it's silicone and very flexible. I have it on my bike. Steve
You could be right as I don't know what mine is. It's black, thin, without reinforcing, and reasonably flexible. I don't use any clamps - no leaks.

Regards, Russell