Author Topic: '92 forks setup  (Read 2098 times)

Offline blade

'92 forks setup
« on: May 17, 2011, 04:56:15 PM »
Alright for some reason I can't find my manual so can someone clue me in on the early forks? Is the air supposed to be similar to the preload screws on the later models? The PO told me he upgraded to Sonic 1.1's, so wasn't there a fix you could do after installing good springs to eliminate the air setup entirely?

I don't have this issue with my 05, obviously, but I would like to get the handling of the 92 closer to what I have with the late model.

Thanks

Stan

enim57

Re: '92 forks setup
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:03:04 AM »
Air gives stiffer progressive spring rate and will have some effect on ride height, but as you have Sonic 1.1's you dont need it. To improve it further use 10 or 15 weight oil and ultimately fit Racetech cartridge emulators, a sturdy fork brace helps too.

Regards, Russell

Offline blade

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »
Thanks Russell, I appreciate the answer. So let me throw another one out there as well.

If I had the second gen fork tubes would they fit the first gen triples or would I have to have second gen tubes and triples?

Thanks again

Stan

Offline Cagedodger

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »
They fit, but you'll need the second gen wheel, speedo pickup and axle to go with it.

You can also increase the fork oil level a little and do away with pressurizing the tubes. I put 10mm more in when I installed the Intiminators and have no complaints.