Author Topic: Cam sprocket settings  (Read 2350 times)

Offline LT South Africa

Cam sprocket settings
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:20:36 AM »
Hi guys.

I have removed he cam cover to check the valve clearances.

On doing setup I noticed that the marks for inlet and exhaust look to be about 1/2 a tooth out when I view the cam sprocket in an Absolute horizontal position.

I have attached pics to this.

Are the marks off? Or am I seeing something that's not there?

LT

Offline Jim __

Re: Cam sprocket settings
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 05:30:00 AM »
Looks good to me compared to the manual....  If I understand your statement correctly, you're comparing the IN and EX on the same sprocket and they don't line up perfectly.  You only line up the IN mark on the intake sprocket and EX mark on the exhaust sprocket with respect to the ledge where the valve cover seats.  FYI: The exhaust and intake sprockets are actually the same part (same part number).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:09:23 AM by Jim __ »

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 06:15:49 AM »
Hi Jim.

Thank you for the response and explanation.

I do understand this is one part used for either side.

My worry is the mark for the inlet on the right sprocket as well as the exhaust mark on the left sprocket do not line against the body of the engine when viewed absolutely from the front.

Each seems about a 1/2 a tooth above the motor. Maybe I'm just trying to be too literal in my expectations.

Regards

LT

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:45:22 AM »
I have a question.
Was there not a warning about " Do not rotate engine using that crank nut" (the one in the bottom picture) because it can easily shear ?
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Jim __

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 06:52:37 AM »
Maybe it's an illusion, but the timing chain appears to have a little slack between the sprockets which might be causing the slight difference.  Also, to me, the IN and EX marks look practically parallel to the engine.  That's good.

Also, as Daytona_Mike said, be mindful not to rotate the crank using the nut on the end.  Use the hex slot cut in the end of the crank, instead.  I looked and did not see any warnings in the manual about this, although I could have missed it.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »
 It could be because of the angle the pic was taken, but the exhaust cam MAY be retarded 1 tooth. forget the vertical lines completely, unless you use them to count the links. the line where the IN And EX marks is what matters, and they should be at the deck surface when the crank is at TDC. steve

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:39:01 PM »
Yes, Steve mentions the hex nut in is video as well. Good advice not covered in the manual.

I also thought the can chain was riding high as it marries with the exhaust chain in the direction of travel.

Being new to Kawasaki and the Connie I struck his off as the way it is.

I stripped down the guides and removed both sprockets to realign both sprockets. No luck. Either the inlet and exhaust lines are above the body of the motor or below.

You should see on the pictures that the camera can see through the barrel of the cam and out the other side. I did this to prove the angle was perfectly horizontal.

The bike runs fine. Although much more engine noise than I am use to.

Maybe it's due for a cam chain replacement.

I have done the valves settings. Every valve was over tight when I checked the 1st time. I rechecked each valve over and over again.

LT