Author Topic: Dunlop E 3's  (Read 5841 times)

Offline oldkid

Dunlop E 3's
« on: May 12, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »
Oh Boy! Looks like I get to start the 1st TIRE THREAD on the new site. Just a couple of quick questions / comments. I would like to hear from anyone else running Dunlop E3's your likes / dislikes.
I recently put a set of bias E3's on my 05 C-10 after getting over 12K miles out of the Michelin Pilots. After only 100 miles they seem pretty good but I still find my self comparing them to the Michelins. They are smooth, seem to have decent grip but the bike dosen't have that "planted" feel. This is not all bad as the bike seems more flickable. I guess it just takes getting use to but I do miss the Michelins. :'(

Any real life reviews would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline medicevans

Re: Dunlop E 3's
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
I actually was going to start this EXACT same thread! But I didn't because I started the mock favorite oil thread. I am considering E3s for my next set of tires. I had them on my shadow and they were great tires. I'm interested to find out how peoples real world experience with the E3s have been.

Offline Leo

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:37:03 AM »
Sometimes even the same brand of tyres seem more responsive due to the fact they still have the new profile.  They will generally feel a little more planted when they start to wear.  This happens so slowly, you'll never notice.  Keep us posted on those E3 tyres.  I cannot believe the Michelins are gone.  I was riding a 17inch/19 inch bike when all the tire market was promoting 16 inch/18 inch sizes.  Now I have a 16 inch/18 inch bike and 17 inch tires are the hot ticket.  I seem to always be out of step. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline wpdad

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:35:22 AM »
I had E3's before my current Michelins.  They were okay but they do not grip when cold. 

Offline Electroken

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:18:40 AM »
I also just put on a set of E3s after having Pilot GTs. They do feel more responsive but I'm sure it's because they're new and "rounder". Both wheels balanced with zero added weight.

I'm starting an 8000-mile trip on June 15th and I'll check in with my impressions of them.

Offline RapidRoy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 07:32:22 AM »
What sizes are you guys running, where did you purchase them, and what did they cost? I'm about 2k from having to replace my front D220 which is showing uneven wear and is pretty twitchy when inflated to the recommended pressure. It seems a lot more stable when running it a few pounds less.
'99 C-10

Offline Electroken

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:23 AM »
I'm running the sizes intended for the GL1500 Gold Wing. Both are bias-ply designs.

F: 130/70-18
R:160/80-16

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
I got 15k out of them but they were chopped and losing traction. I never liked the way they turned in. I'm now using Avon bias and feel real confident in the corners as well as a softer ride.
I got mine

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »
I'm still torn between the E3's and the Avons.  I guess only time will tell what i get
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »
I ran  GL1500 size bias tires for 21500 miles on my 2006 C10. I've replaced them with another set and have 19K on them so far. I'm not an agressive rider but I don't hold up traffic either. I'm quite satisfied with them and will use them again.

Offline Rockstar

• Don't call em bikers until you've seen them ride
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »
I've had real good luck with E3s on my Wing but never ran them on my C10 = I never felt afraid to stick my big heavy wing into a hair-pin corner and still got  a little over 9000 miles out of them.
GL1800 my 2 up ride ZG1000 my alone time ride
Ninja EX 500 stolen by my son ride
Honda CRF off road ride
Scooter go get the mail ride

Offline oldkid

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 07:01:55 AM »
What pressure are you guys running in the E3's? Mfg. recomends 36 front and rear. This seems a little low compared to the GT's. Will higher pressure help with cupping or keep the middle from developing  the flat spot?

Side note..I was torn between the Venons and the E 3's but the Dunlops were more readily available localy and a little less expensive.

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
I found that the E3's are just a stiff sidewall tire. I still ran at 36 as recommended but the Avons recommend higher especially in the rear. The Avon's also have a higher weight capacity. I can't complain, just hope they'll last awhile.

Offline Rockstar

• Don't call em bikers until you've seen them ride
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 01:48:27 PM »
What pressure are you guys running in the E3's? Mfg. recomends 36 front and rear. This seems a little low compared to the GT's. Will higher pressure help with cupping or keep the middle from developing  the flat spot?

I run mine at 40 psi (again this is on my wing not my connie)
GL1800 my 2 up ride ZG1000 my alone time ride
Ninja EX 500 stolen by my son ride
Honda CRF off road ride
Scooter go get the mail ride

Offline Coyote Chris

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »
I'm with Mr. T.  I have 17k on mine and will probably replace them in a year.  I run 36 and 42 psi.  I dont ride fast or hard and I generally tour in cool times of the year and the day.  Besides the high milage, I like the stablitiy they give the bike and the fact that rain grooves and construction grooves are no problem.

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »
"rain grooves and construction grooves are no problem"
I agree there 100%. First thing I noticed and loved about them, no tracking.