Author Topic: Engine noise?  (Read 6661 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Engine noise?
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:14:55 PM »
A few days ago my bike started making this squealing and squeaking noise when idle, the noise is there while riding to but can't hear it much because of the wind, I can't put my finger on where it's coming from, seems to be down low on the left side of the bike around the Alternator area, the bike still starts and runs fine but it's freaking me out as i don't want to get left stranded.

Anyone know what this could be? please help, this bike is still my only transportation.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Engine noise?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »
Wrong side of the bike, but did you check the counter balance shaft adjustment?
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:56:05 PM »
A couple of questions for you that might help in understanding.
Does the sound change with engine speed?
Is it different when it's cold or hot?
Does it change if it's in gear or neutral, clutch applied or not?
Does it change when you put a load on the motor (i.e. start moving) vs. Neutral and not moving? Or does it remain the same no matter what?

I'm sure there are many fine questions that I havent though of.

Wrong side of the bike, but did you check the counter balance shaft adjustment?
It will make a racket if its adjusted improperly. There's probably other thing to consider but sound travels in strange ways in a crankcase.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:59:37 PM »
I haven't checked the counter balance but i don't think that could be the problem, i just went out and started the bike' cold start and right away the noise started up and its getting louder and now sounds like its coming from either the alternator or water pump and both have never been replaced fare as i know, 5 years ago i did replace the water pump and counter balance O-ring and haven't had a problem since, right now I'm leaning towards the water pump bearing going bad.

Does the alternator make noise when its going out? I'm pretty sure the water pump would make noise but i don't know about the alternator.
Also the noise is some times intermittent but it is getting more frequent and louder like Metallic clashing, i know these kind of noises can be hard to finger unless an expert can hear it in person and knows about the connie's ins and outs.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:11:26 PM »
Its kind of hard to explain the noise because its like some small hard part broke off and is getting tossed around a bit & the noise changes as its happening. that's why my thinking is a bearing some where.

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »
Either water pump or alt bearings are good places to look. The alt is pretty easy to pull and check by spinning slowly and checking for anything other than smooth rotation. Water pump a little less accessible but can be checked the same way.
I had to pull my water pump out a while ago to do some service and noticed a notchiness in the bearing so I replaced the pump. It only had about 26,000 miles on it.

Its kind of hard to explain the noise because its like some small hard part broke off and is getting tossed around a bit & the noise changes as its happening. that's why my thinking is a bearing some where.

What you described could be because of a bearing failure. I'm not sure what kind of catastrophe can happen if it fully seizes while it's running. Tread carfully.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:22:44 PM »
''Tread carfully'' Exactly or    :hitfan:

good news is i'm only three blocks from autozone so i could walk and get some 50-50 antifreeze and prepair myself for the work, bad news is ill have to wait a week for any parts to ship, this sucks, i just flushed and replaced my antifreeze less then a year ago but i know i will have to do it again if i replace the waterpump.

Could you walk me threw checking the alternator first, i have removed the water pump befor but never the alternator, from the looks of it there is three bolts on the left side of the alternator.

been riding this bike 6 years Year round and still learning things.

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 07:53:16 PM »
The manual states the following:
1. Remove cam chain tensioner (I guess it's in the way)
2. Disconnect alternator lead
3. Unscrew mounting bolts and pull out
4. Do not lose coupling dampers

If the symtoms that you describe is indeed the alt bearing, it will be evident when you try to spin it.

The cam chain tensioner needs to be re-installed with care. Don't just put it back in. It needs to be set up properly. Careful not to spin the motor with the tensioner out.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »
Gotcha, i have replaced the cam chain tensioner befor and am aware that it can be a bit tricky but i'm not gonna remove it if i don't have to but from looking at it closely today i could see how it might be in the way, i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thank You!

if it wasn't for people like you and this forum I'm not sure i would still have this bike.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »
Well i never got around to pulling the generator yet but have a question, will any generator or water pump from 93-06 fit my 86

i been looking around on ebay and even came across a generator from a zx i think that's the one that gives a little more juice for accessory's

Offline throb

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 04:21:31 AM »
http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/c/kawasaki_motorcycle/parts

The fiche at this website shows part number for '86 superseded to match that of later years, so I'm guessing yes, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge in that area will chime in.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »
Thanks

A long time ago there was a post on the forum but it's not here any more about removing & reinstalling the cam chain tensioner, i had printed it out but now i can't find the papers, i know there is a trick to it but i can't remember what it was, can any one post the trick, my bike is an 86 but i have a 95  tensioner and i know it's different then the 86.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
Well i started the bike up again and this time i put one hand on the generator and the other on the water pump and I'm 99% sure its the pump, i could feel and hear the bearings grinding away and was just reverberating up threw the generator so i have a new pump and a set of rad hoses on the way from Murph. i was gonna get a used pump but this one of them parts i don't want to worry about or have to replace again for a long while.

I know i have to drain the antifreeze but Do i really have to drain the oil to, I just changed the oil three weeks ago.

Offline throb

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
service manual says yes; don't know if it's because oil & coolant don't play well together or what.  Sending you a PM if you want to take a look...
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
pm sent thanks

Offline Summit670

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 08:02:13 AM »
I put a new water pump seal in without draining oil.  I leaned the bike against a solid object so the oil would be away from the opening.

Since I don't have a bike lift it made the area easier to see too.

Another option, though messier, would be to let the excess oil drain out into a pan as you remove the pump.  I believe then you would only need to top oil off when you are done.  Make sure your coolant lines don't get oil in them.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 12:44:32 PM »

Another option, though messier, would be to let the excess oil drain out into a pan as you remove the pump.  I believe then you would only need to top oil off when you are done.  Make sure your coolant lines don't get oil in them.

This is exactly how I did mine, on the centerstand with a drain pan under the water pump.  The shaft seal is well above the oil sump, IIRC I only lost about 2 quarts of oil.  Just make sure to drain the coolant first so you don't get it in the oil.
2005 Concours-"The Other Woman"
Stock except Canyon Cages and heated grips