Author Topic: How to install new radiator hoses  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
How to install new radiator hoses
« on: February 09, 2015, 06:04:34 PM »
I got my new radiator hoses today, My service manual has been missing since i packed it away dew to bug/pest spraying but i think the book says i need to remove the radiator and the header pips, is all that really necessary? ??? :'(

I will be replacing a failed water pump and that's why i want to replace all the hoses while i'm at it.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Summit670

Re: How to install new radiator hoses
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
I replaced all the hoses on my 87 a couple of years ago and I didn't have to remove the radiator.

If you want to put new orings on the coolant logs, you will need to remove the radiator and the carbs.  I've done the carb side but I haven't done the radiator side but I think it needs to come loose or entirely off.

If you disturb the thermostat housing too much you can get a leak from the lower o-ring below the housing and that can be replaced by carefully coming up from the bottom with a socket to reach the bolt that holds the therm housing on.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
I'm stuck, can't get the water pump to line up, i think the water pump shaft is connected to the oil shaft because the water pump is flush with the engine case, it's just less than one quarter inch off and i can't start the 2 long bolts.

can anyone help

i did install all the new water hoses, what a PITA, i live in a apartment and ran out of day light so i'll have to try again tomorrow

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »
Going from memory here... and I'm old...

Remove the outer cover, keep it close by. While pushing on the housing, rotate the impeller until it engages with the drive lug/slot. Slip the cover on, insert one of the long bolts to maintain alignment, rotate the assembly to line up the hole. Screw the long bolt in... finger tight.

Rick

Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
There is a flat blade screwdriver type notch on the water pump shaft which must fit onto the drive in the engine.  I left the cover on my pump and eyeballed the alignment of the notch to make sure it mates up with the water pump as the pump is slid into place.  I don't recall it being a big challenge.  I was dealing with a 25 year old water pump and didn't want to have to install a new seal on the cover of it.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 04:15:32 AM »
Ok i think i know where i might have made a mistake, I eyeballed the notch to and it slid in just as i expected and was perfectly aligned with the holes for the 2 long bolts, however i did not put the bolts in at that time, first i installed the water pip hoses and i guess while tightening the pip hose it pulled the pump over and maybe off the notch, that's the only thing i can think of.

I sure hope i don't have to take the new hoses back off and put them back on, new hoses are hard to pull and install even after lubing them with coolant.

well it's after 3am and will be daylight in about 4 hours so i'm gonna go for another round with it.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »
Back in the saddle, i just pulled the pump hoses and pulled out the pump and put it back in and bolted it up and installed the hoses.
so fare i got 42 miles half town half highway and temps are normal, still need to check coolant again after an all night cool down but so fare so good.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Oh yeah' the old pump was the problem source with the bearings squealing like a pig and when i took it off and turned the impeller by hand it had a lot of play and did not turn smoothly but there wasn't any side to side wiggling like in Steve's video, but I'm sure it would have been very soon, anyhow No more noise now. I need a  :chugbeer:   8)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
Back in the saddle, i just pulled the pump hoses and pulled out the pump and put it back in and bolted it up and installed the hoses.
so fare i got 42 miles half town half highway and temps are normal, still need to check coolant again after an all night cool down but so fare so good.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Oh yeah' the old pump was the problem source with the bearings squealing like a pig and when i took it off and turned the impeller by hand it had a lot of play and did not turn smoothly but there wasn't any side to side wiggling like in Steve's video, but I'm sure it would have been very soon, anyhow No more noise now. I need a  :chugbeer:   8)

:thumbs: :chugbeer:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)