Author Topic: Wheel bearing life  (Read 2891 times)

Offline kzz1king

Wheel bearing life
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:53:41 PM »
What kind of miles are the C14s getting before bearings are needed? I know I changed my front in my C10 about every other tire. I have close to 60000 on it now.

On another note I am looming for the axle diameters . I want to make a little better center shaft for my  H F changer. The threaded portion of rear is 17.5 mm.
Thanks
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Wheel bearing life
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »
My first c14 went 175000 miles never changed wheel bearings.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 08:23:52 PM »
Wise men say change wheel bearings when they are bad, not before.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 11:17:13 AM »
I did mine because I thought that they needed it.  I don't think that they were bad.  I'm thinking it's basically your riding style.  Somewhat more spirited or you are carrying a lot of weight around, could lessen life I suppose.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »
Who you calling fat?  ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 04:29:52 PM »
Who you calling fat?  ::)

If the sandwich fits.... eat it...  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 05:24:09 PM »
my take on it is to buy them, good ones, like NTK (don't start that China thing... I ain't buying your diatribe on quality..) and have them with you, in your bags, and when needed... simply do them.
Having replaced wheel bearings many times, (for myself, and others, and sometimes in emergency failures en-route on rides and rallies), I'll just say "replacing a fine bearing, may result in the new bearing failing in much less time, and at an un-opportune time", then just running till it's clearly "needed".

no guarantee on ANY life cycle, of any bearing, when a working one is pulled, and replaced, with another... just like tires.... they all can change ....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 06:03:02 PM »
I like this advice. Murphs the place to get them?

my take on it is to buy them, good ones, like NTK (don't start that China thing... I ain't buying your diatribe on quality..) and have them with you, in your bags, and when needed... simply do them.
Having replaced wheel bearings many times, (for myself, and others, and sometimes in emergency failures en-route on rides and rallies), I'll just say "replacing a fine bearing, may result in the new bearing failing in much less time, and at an un-opportune time", then just running till it's clearly "needed".

no guarantee on ANY life cycle, of any bearing, when a working one is pulled, and replaced, with another... just like tires.... they all can change ....
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 06:15:35 AM »
Yes, front and back.  https://murphskits.com
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
The front ones on my 08 went bad prior to 20k miles. The dealer replaced them under warranty (shockingly). With just a hair under 100k, I have a bearing on the back wheel that is starting to squeak. I noticed it was a bit tight the last time I changed tires. I'll get around to it one of these days...
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline Rexter

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
I'll get around to it one of these days...

Here ya go.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
 :thumbs:

Offline katata1100

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »

Reminds me of an old story. The local european car repair shop is the go to place for Porsche repair. I guy brought in his 911 and needed the wheel bearings replaced. Owner ordered some aftermarket bearings (I think they were sankin), when they came in, owner flipped, said he didn't want any jap made crap on his baby, he wanted genuine Porsche parts. So the owner obliged and got the bearings from Porsche, and they were double the price. When he took the bearing out of the Porsche box, it said Sanken, made in Japan. He showed it to the owner and told him to keep the box as he paid for it!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 06:03:53 AM »
Murphs has the seals as extra. Are they generally needed or can the old ones be easily removed and reused?

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Freddy

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 06:39:51 AM »
They will be worn to the point of letting water in.  I replace then every second tyre change.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 01:03:56 PM »
Are you replacing just the seals every other change or bearings and seals? Thanks
Wayne

They will be worn to the point of letting water in.  I replace then every second tyre change.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 05:21:33 PM »

I can't verify that..
just saying I do pack(smear a finger load) of grease, behind said seal, and that precludes any water ingress to anything behind it.. I only replaced an "outer seal" on one C10 I owned, as a preventative P/M once, as I had a chewed up seal on the speedo gear side, from a stupidly and rapidly found mis install..so I did both.(the seal on the gear side, and also the wheel r/h side) When proper bearings are installed, and a goober of grease is layered over them and outer seal in place, its a hands off, totally sealed thing, and can be cleaned, and reinstalled the same way for the life of the bike.. I do polish and clean the r/h "wheel" spacer o.d., that the seal contacts, every time, and have no issue after that.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Freddy

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 06:06:53 PM »
Are you replacing just the seals every other change or bearings and seals? Thanks
Wayne

When replacing the seals for the first time I very carefully flip the bearing seal out with a tiny screwdriver, push a fingerful of grease into the ballrace, refit the bearing seal and fit new outer seals.  I've helped friends do this on bikes which have come say 50,000 and there are water stains and slight rust on the bearings outer faces F&R.

With the wheel off, rotate the 'top hat' spacer/sleeve that the seal runs on and check how much tension, if any, the seal has.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?