Author Topic: Won't start after valve adjustment.  (Read 3745 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Won't start after valve adjustment.
« on: July 16, 2011, 07:20:12 AM »
I just completed a valve adjustment. The cam sprockets and timing were lined up perfect. I seem to have everything reconnected. The fuel pump comes on, the dash looks normal, the starter spins the engine with gusto but it does not start, no sounds of combustion. :'(

I initially forgot to ground the PCV. Fixed that but no change. Next I took the PCV out of the loop, still no change. Hopefully I am just missing something simple but what?

I performed the diagnostic at the dash - turned to on and pressed and held both buttons - nothing happens.

I have spark, at least at #1. Pulled the stickcoil, plugged in an old sparkplug and grounded to the engine case. Pressing the starter I see a spark..

Do FI engines get flooded?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:14:19 AM by lather »
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Won't start after valve adjustment.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:19:02 AM »
 :popcorn:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:32:22 AM »
Did you check the sprockets/timing before or after the cams were tightened down?
Are you sure that you are getting fuel to the throttle bodies?
Is the bike throwing any error codes?  Are you getting an FI message?
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:59:15 AM »
Did you check the sprockets/timing before or after the cams were tightened down?
Are you sure that you are getting fuel to the throttle bodies?
Is the bike throwing any error codes?  Are you getting an FI message?
Yes I checked the timing after torquing the cam caps. No FI light or message and no code.
I am unsure about the fuel delivery. I thought it possible that trying to start without the PCV grounded may have flooded the engine so I pulled the #4 plug and it did not appear wet. After trying the starter for several seconds I smell the faint scent of unburnt, stale smelling fuel.
BTW, the plugs are all brand new, just installed.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
It's hard to miss, but did you check the wiring to the stick coils?
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
Fired up! I waited about an hour to possibly clear a flooding situation while I rechecked harness connections, pressed as hard as I could on the stick coils to make sure they were fully seated. Then cranked it and cranked it and cranked it. It gradually started hitting more and more and I kept cranking. After a good 90 seconds of cranking and the engine trying to start it through a 51 - #1 Stick Coil. After going upstairs to look up 51 and reviewing the troubleshooting procedure (and reading the warning about dropping a stickcoil :-[) I went back down with the intention of swapping #1 and #4 and verifying that I had a bad stickcoil. But when I pulled the connector off of #1 I noticed it was not properly connected. How the hell could I have missed that before? I reconnected it and tried the started. Same deal - loooong cranking as the engine struggle to start but it finally did! And after about a 2 minute warm up it seems to be running like a champ.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
Great- glad to hear it (the starting part, not the missing of the coil connector part). It sounds like you may have had two separate problems at the same time, the engine was flooded and also missing spark on that one cylinder?

Now just to get a jump on things, when you are putting the fairings back on and drop that screw and cannot find it..... it is in the fan shroud, up against the radiator.  ;D ;D

Brian

Fired up! I waited about an hour to possibly clear a flooding situation while I rechecked harness connections, pressed as hard as I could on the stick coils to make sure they were fully seated. Then cranked it and cranked it and cranked it. It gradually started hitting more and more and I kept cranking. After a good 90 seconds of cranking and the engine trying to start it through a 51 - #1 Stick Coil. After going upstairs to look up 51 and reviewing the troubleshooting procedure (and reading the warning about dropping a stickcoil :-[) I went back down with the intention of swapping #1 and #4 and verifying that I had a bad stickcoil. But when I pulled the connector off of #1 I noticed it was not properly connected. How the hell could I have missed that before? I reconnected it and tried the started. Same deal - loooong cranking as the engine struggle to start but it finally did! And after about a 2 minute warm up it seems to be running like a champ.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com