Author Topic: Valve clearance  (Read 16399 times)

Offline Maverick

• I rode below sea level...and survived
Valve clearance
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:09:50 AM »
I got 22K miles on the bike and have 2 rides of 2500 mi each almost back to back, manual states 24 K

- Do I do the valve clearance before these trips, or can I safely wait till approximately 28k mi?

- My dealer is exclusively a Kawa dealer, very knowledgeable about the bike, but he has no knowledge about the PCV and autotune; will this job have any incidence on the map and bike tuning? Or would you recommend that I go to the mechanic who installed and mapped the PCV?
GTR Club Europe Member # 388
1400 GTR 2008

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Valve clearance
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »
I got 22K miles on the bike and have 2 rides of 2500 mi each almost back to back, manual states 24 K

- Do I do the valve clearance before these trips, or can I safely wait till approximately 28k mi?

asking this question here, of people that will not be paying for your bike to be repaired in the event there is an issue, is a bit iffy.

you need to make the decision on whether you feel lucky. We have no idea how you ride, the load you put the bike under, or anything about the bike YOU own and maintain, so in a nutshell, I would suggest doing the service prior to doing the additional 5, 000 miles.
Some here in the USA insist the bike does not need attention till in excess of 24k, there are others of us that have done this service ourselves, and have found clearances that certainly needed attention.
It's your call, and your bike, and it depends on how long you may want to own it.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Z71

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »
I would like to know how many here did their own valve clearance check at 15k miles and found one of more valves grossly out of adjustment.  Most of the time they are still well within specified range.   

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
It all depends on longitude. According to Kawasaki its 15,000 miles if you live in NA but 26,000 miles if you live in Europe. ;D

Offline Maverick

• I rode below sea level...and survived
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »
It all depends on longitude. According to Kawasaki its 15,000 miles if you live in NA but 26,000 miles if you live in Europe. ;D

That is my exactly my point, same bike but across the pond manual states 24K for valve clearance !

Aside from that, are there any incidence on the PCV maps when doing the valve check ?
GTR Club Europe Member # 388
1400 GTR 2008

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:58:20 AM »
I have had multiple dealers tell me that they don't even recommend it until at least 25,000 miles.  I'm having mine done right now at over 29,000 miles.  My dealer told me I am due now, but didn't seem overly concerned about me waiting that long.  I'll know this weekend how bad it needed it.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:09:43 AM »
I remember a thread where a guy (Flyin'Kaw IIRC) was told by his dealer which was also a friend, and was told to wait until 40,000 miles for his first valve check.  I'm not sure about exactly how far out his valves were but I don't think they were in bad shape at all.    But like MOB stated if you plan on keeping the bike you might want to go ahead and get it taken care of.  Or you could roll the dice, more than likely you will be just fine but there is always that chance..................   YMMV
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:45:03 AM »
I would like to know how many here did their own valve clearance check at 15k miles and found one of more valves grossly out of adjustment.  Most of the time they are still well within specified range.

Did mine at 14000 miles because it I did it over the winter when the bike was put up. 15 out of 16 were out of spec and needing of new shims.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:22 AM »
That is my exactly my point, same bike but across the pond manual states 24K for valve clearance !

Aside from that, are there any incidence on the PCV maps when doing the valve check ?
Having a PCV installed should have minimal impact  on performing a valve clearance check or adjustment, just one extra connector to unplug. 

The possibility of an over-rich or over-lean condition due to an improperly tuned PCV may be a good reason to due the check sooner rather than later. I recall one report of valve damage apparently due to excessive carbon buildup but I do not recall whether a PC was involved.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
asking this question here, of people that will not be paying for your bike to be repaired in the event there is an issue, is a bit iffy.

I'm not paying for his bike repairs, but I am still going to say to get the valves checked. It is like an oil change- a little too soon is better than a little too late, especially before a long trip.
The other reason, besides making sure that valves are in spec, is that inspection should include throttle synching. For all you know, they might be slightly out, gone out over time so you are not too aware of it. If that was the case, after a synch, you'd say "wow, feels real smooth!" and this would make a difference on 5000 miles of riding.
I know that whenever I'd take out my buzzy katana 1100 for a long trip, I'd set up the sticks and tweak the synch to make sure all was purfect to save my wee hands.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »

Moot point.
He is talking stretching to 28k, and doing 5000 miles of trips in a back to back jaunt, before even looking.

I still maintain that the MAJORITY of us here that did the service ourselves, found the need to make compensations. Most of the folks that took them to dealers were told the bike is "fine", and very few have an actual map of measurements from said dealers to prove it. I can pretty much gurantee everyone that did thier own work, has documentation of the actual measurements, and what now lives inside the engine. ;)

There did at one time exist a poll, showing our responses on what was found and when, I don't have time to find that thread.

oh, make sure you change that air filter before the trip also....most folks don't touch it untill they do the valves, and @ 20k, it does need an air filter.... ;)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:36:51 AM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:48:13 AM »

did it at 14,400, most were out of range.
Will

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
At 25,000 almost all of mine needed changed. One was four or five steps from being correct. But if you have a typical dealer tech check them, chances are, they will all be fine.
2008 C-14

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »

- My dealer is exclusively a Kawa dealer, very knowledgeable about the bike, but he has no knowledge about the PCV and autotune; will this job have any incidence on the map and bike tuning? Or would you recommend that I go to the mechanic who installed and mapped the PCV?
I would ask both of them, how many C-14 or ZX-14 engines have you done a valve adjustment on? Until they have done several, I would definitely not recommend them.
2008 C-14

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:21:51 AM »
I would ask both of them, how many C-14 or ZX-14 engines have you done a valve adjustment on? Until they have done several, I would definitely not recommend them.

Your point is a funny one.  Many people here say they don't trust dealers and feel better about doing it themselves.  But the reason I took mine to a dealer to do it is precisely the reason you stated.  I'm a decent mechanic, but I have not been that far into an engine in nearly 30 years.  I know my dealer has worked on many ZX14s and Concours.  They know what they are doing and I don't.  If this were the old days and the shims were on top, and there was not layers of tupperwear and various equipment for smog hanging everywhere I'd do mine still.  But the level of difficulty has changed from the last time I did a valve adjustment myself many times over.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 06:24:41 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
If this were the old days and the shims were on top, and there was not layers of tupperwear and various equipment for smog hanging everywhere I'd do mine still.  But the level of difficulty has changed from the last time I did a valve adjustment myself many times over.

Shims? I am used to screw adjusters on my old bike. Tell you what, with all the local law enforcement agencies buying these bikes for service, all you'll need to do is find the dealer with the service contract for them, they should have experience with them.
I think the highway patrol cop that I talked to said he puts around 20k miles a year on his BMW, was looking forward to his new state issued C14.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »

In the USA we measure distance in miles, 15,000.  In Europe and most of the rest of the world the unit of measure is kilometers, 24,000.  Valve clearance and Power Commander V are in no way related.

How in the hell does longitude have anything at all to do with any questions or answers in this thread?

Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 03:05:42 PM »
Have almost 15k on mine now, gonna wait till 25k. I think I trust the dealer to do mine, although I will more than likely tackle it myself. Seems the dealers almost always see them within spec, yet when we do it they need adjusted.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »
Because Kawasaki quotes two different mileage intervals depending on where the bike was sold. If sold in the US or Canada, a valve lash check is required at 15K miles. If sold anywhere else in the world the intervals are 26,000 miles. The valve trains are identical between all C-14s so there is no mechanical reason for this difference. The only reason any of us could ever think of was emissions- it is probably a US regulation and Canada just got lumped in so all the bikes sold in both countries have the same maintenance schedule.

At any rate, it is pretty odd and has confused a lot of people since the bike was first introduced.

Brian

In the USA we measure distance in miles, 15,000.  In Europe and most of the rest of the world the unit of measure is kilometers, 24,000.  Valve clearance and Power Commander V are in no way related.

How in the hell does longitude have anything at all to do with any questions or answers in this thread?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com