Author Topic: Forced Maintenance Outage  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Forced Maintenance Outage
« on: February 14, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
There is nothing like a good, continuous, cold, moist, and wet rainy season...  It makes for a good time to repair the ride and get it ready for "riding season".  Good thing it's raining too.  I need the time.

The pic shows the sad state of my Connie as of this morning.  In it you can basically see the exhaust is disconnected.  I had to do that in order to get to the oil pan.  Why do that you ask?

I sheared the oil pan drain plug clean off while placing the bike on a U-Haul MC trailer.  Yep, sure did.  So, I will be replacing the pan, gasket, plug, washer, oil, and filter.  I got nothing better to do, right?

While I'm in there I will replace the leaky o-ring.  It's not a terrible leak, just messes up the front of the motor.  If anyone can recall the specs for the o-ring I'd appreciate the intel.  I'll look around for the postings, I'm sure I'll find it in here somewhere.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Forced Maintenance Outage
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
 Bummer. I broke the oilpan on my Ninja by trying to replace it with the oil pump not installed properly. Good luck.
You can order the correct o-ring from Murphskits.com Good service and reasoable price
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Tree

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »
Bummer. I broke the oilpan on my Ninja by trying to replace it with the oil pump not installed properly. Good luck.
You can order the correct o-ring from Murphskits.com Good service and reasoable price

Yes! Murph's site.  Forgot about that.  Thanks!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline katata1100

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
I can’t really see much in the pic, and I have no idea what year your bike is but I think they relocated the drain plug in ‘10 to make drain plug less vulnerable . Something to think about when you order a
new pan.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 07:21:46 AM »
+1.  If I was going to replace the pan I'd do it with a 10+.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 09:28:17 PM »
+1.  If I was going to replace the pan I'd do it with a 10+.

Yep, absolutely
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
+10
 :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline mff

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:25:18 AM »
Also happened to mine back in 2009, sent it to a shop in CA & they milled/welded a new bottom with a side drain plug for $150- Has worked great!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 07:52:35 PM »
Quite...

Offline Tree

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
Sorry about the lag.  I have had the displeasure of moving 2 times last month.  Now, about that oil pan:

I think my Connie is acting out and seeking attention.  I recently purchased a gently used Ducati and I have had nothing but trouble with the Connie since then.  I am also starting to wonder about my luck.  Good and Bad.  I managed to touch the radiator with the exhaust pipes when I was removing them in an effort to get at the oil pan.  It appears that no amount of forethought and pre-planning would have prevented the event either (I tell myself that anyway  :-[).  I simply lost my grip and the pipe kissed the radiator and viola!  A pin hole leak!  I never considered removing the radiator to get to the pipes.  There is was plenty of clearance...

So, this maintenance outage is experiencing a schedule shift and growth.  While I'm at it I will replace the tires and install new TPS since I have that stuff already.  I have a new radiator on the way so I had some time to ponder the leak.  (A new radiator is absurdly expensive.  Seriously)  I grabbed some JB Weld and shoved a few batches into the radiator and let it set up.  I think it worked for now.  I have ridden it and let it heat up with no more leak.  I'm not going to continue using it, I just wanted to see if JB weld could seal it.

That's it for now.  I should be back on the road this weekend.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 12:39:02 PM »
I had a friend use JB weld on a rad leak and it failed after 5 years of riding when someone t-boned him.

Offline Tree

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 12:47:01 PM »
I had a friend use JB weld on a rad leak and it failed after 5 years of riding when someone t-boned him.

I bet the JB weld held just fine too.  Probably leaked coolant from a crack in the engine case or anywhere else there was no JB weld.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »
 :thumbs:   That JB weld is good stuff.  Carry it with me all the time on rides.

Offline Tree

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 10:03:13 AM »
:thumbs:   That JB weld is good stuff.  Carry it with me all the time on rides.

While I complete this current maintenance outage I have a question.  Perhaps it would be better to go looking for an answer but I am curious (RIGHT NOW ;D) and I need to satisfy my Ego, ID, or some other obscure psychological need.

Since you mentioned JB Weld (the greatest gift to Humankind) I am curious to know what else we consider riding around with "just in case".  You know, what is in/on the bike for the inevitable"unplanned roadside stopover"?

Offline Tree

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »
OK.  Almost done.  I just have to replace the plastic and Connie is ready to roll out.  A couple of pics.

The oil leaking from that o-ring completely coated the radiator after 50k+ miles.  The JB weld that I shoved into the cooling fins did OK.  It could use a good washing with a de-greaser I guess.

If you have to replace a radiator don't forget the hardware on the old one!!!  You have to transfer clips and such to mount the new one.  Of course, you'll figure it out, hopefully before you slide the new one in place.  :-\

The cooling fans are of different sizes.  Would not have guessed that.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
Wire, duct tape, tie wraps....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 04:07:38 PM »
The cooling fans are of different sizes.  Would not have guessed that.

Wow, wouldn't have guessed that either.  I suppose it has to do with clearance for other stuff.  Love that photo...also, the fans really don't cover much of the radiator, do they?  Maybe 33%