Author Topic: Computer Tech Problem...  (Read 2118 times)

Bergmenized

Computer Tech Problem...
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »
Adobe has released an upgraded version of their Flash Player to 10.3.181.14.

Every time I try to download it the page frappes and IE 8.0 says they restored the original page to protect my computer. I am supposed to disable my virus/spyware program to download. I really don't like to do this under any circumstances but I have Security Essentials and I can't see a way to turn it off anyway.

Anyone know of a safe work-around?

Dan

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Computer Tech Problem...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
First option:  Get rid of IE.   :rotflmao:  Safest work-around I know.

More seriously, you can disable MSE by opening it, going to the Settings tab select 'Real Time Protection', and uncheck the 'Turn on Real Time Protection' box.

If you already have Flash Player installed, it should update itself, without having to go to the download page.  You can make Flash Player check for updates itself by opening it in your Control Panel.  The update check is in the 'Advanced' tab.  It brought me to Adobe's site, which may still cause an issue for you, but I was already fully updated, so give that a try too.

I'm running MSE and can get to the page and do a download without a problem.  Have you tried navigating there starting from just the basic www.adobe.com ?  Then hit downloads, then select Flash Player.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Bergmenized

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
First option:  Get rid of IE.   :rotflmao:  Safest work-around I know.

More seriously, you can disable MSE by opening it, going to the Settings tab select 'Real Time Protection', and uncheck the 'Turn on Real Time Protection' box.

If you already have Flash Player installed, it should update itself, without having to go to the download page.  You can make Flash Player check for updates itself by opening it in your Control Panel.  The update check is in the 'Advanced' tab.  It brought me to Adobe's site, which may still cause an issue for you, but I was already fully updated, so give that a try too.

Staying with IE, synchs with my client. I did find one problem that disallows new videos to play. I had "Shockwave Flash Object" disabled in my "Manage Add-ons". Once I enabled it, I can now play videos okay.

Thanks for the tips on disabling MSE. I don't like to do that (and I really wish downloaders would not require that). You would think there would be some sophistication there.

Dan

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips on disabling MSE. I don't like to do that (and I really wish downloaders would not require that). You would think there would be some sophistication there.

It isn't a requirement to download, they just say that you *may* need to disable antivirus software.  Some AV software is far too sensitive to allowing downloads.  (Or can be set to be too sensitive)  I've very rarely encountered a download where I actually had to disable my antivirus.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
Dump IE??

Hell, dump Windoze!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!