Author Topic: 2013 Yamaha FJR has Factory Cruise, Traction Control - Just Ordered One  (Read 17746 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: 2013 Yamaha FJR has Factory Cruise, Traction Control - Just Ordered One
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »
I admit I had to look it up to see if you were right.  It really does still have Carbs!!!  I had no idea that anything bigger than a weed eater still had carbs.

The OP's listed website says it's fuel injected.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 11:44:06 AM »
Money.

It would be a substantial cost to re-vamp the crankcase / transmission on that bike with a very limited return- after all, how many people are really going to buy an FJR just because it sports a new sixth gear? I am not saying it would not be an improvement, only mentioning the actual return on the actual cost to the mfg. will be relatively small. New electronics are relatively inexpensive; especially things like a new dash layout and give an excellent impression of 'newness' even if there is little improvement. There are severe limits on what can be done with a $16K product in the way of changes and all of them cut into profits.

Another problem Yamaha has is that any and all of the investments on the FJR have to be returned from that model alone. At least Kawasaki can split investments to major changes on the C-14 or ZX 14 between those two models. An example is the major engine change in the ZX 14 for 2012- it is most likely to show up on the C-14 and that had to be a major consideration which Kawasaki factored into the initial estimates. By comparison, Yamaha cannot spread the costs of anything done to the FJR with any other model they make because it is the only model that uses that powerplant drivetrain.

Brian

Sounding better and better, but why in the hell they kept the 5 speed is beyond reasoning.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
The product mentioned that was still carburated was the Royal Star Venture from Yamaha, not the FJR. The FJR has always been fuel injected.

Kind of amazing that any road vehicle can pass the latest emission standards with carbs. But they really do have carbs. per Yamaha's own web site. http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/586/0/specs.aspx

Brian

The OP's listed website says it's fuel injected.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
I just read that it also has adjustable seat and handle bars. High end touring bikes should always have that.
If memory serves me right, I do believe the FJR has had adjustable handlebars & seat since the beginning??
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline booger

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
My condolences. ???
Lack of cruise control won't get me off my C-14.
But if we all liked the same thing life would be pretty damn boring.  And as long as it has two wheels it is A-OK by me.
I hope you enjoy many great miles on it.

Offline concoursbdh

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 04:55:39 PM »
I don't understand the 5 speed comments.  It has a gear indicator on the dash, if you hunt you should just look down and see it if you can't tell from the current performance and tach what gear your bike is in.  You can't compare the first generation FJR to our current C14, but with the gearing of the '06 and on FJR's th gearing is very good, very rider friendly, gets better fuel mileage than my 2 C14's have.  I really like my '10 C14 with the changes from the '08, but my 3 Feejer's were damn good bikes as well!  The adjustable seat, which my last standard Bandit even had is nice, but we don't spend much time on that subject with the connie...  the adjustable bars are nice as well, along with 6.6 gallons of fuel for the guys that like to ride far between stops!  I am a 11 year cogger, so just letting people in on more of the good parts of the FJR.  Some are missing a good ride if it's only because it is a 5 spd.  I am proud to see an updated version coming again, maybe they will make a 20 year run as our C10 did!  :)

Offline wrichstrom

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
From Cadman
If memory serves me right, I do believe the FJR has had adjustable handlebars & seat since the beginning??

This is true for the Gen II but I don't believe that is true for the Gen I. 

My opinion only as I believe the C-14 is an upgrade over the FJR overall, but I think the Yamaha 5-speed makes sense.  Going 75 or 80 mph my memory was that the Yamaha would be turning around 4000 - 4100 rpm.  With the C-14 I am turning something like 3800 rpm, which is not that big of a difference.  I rode with a guy who had a '03 K1200GT and I think in sixth gear that engine would be turning something like 4500 rpm at 80 mph.  (Keep in mind that these are not exact rpm numbers).  Although I am a big fan of both bikes I don't think the FJR 5-speed is a big downgrade over the C-14. 

My option for the FJR was downgraded significantly from a dealer who after I dealt with over many years gave me a lousy experience on a new purchase of the 2009 FJR AE model.  I was never so glad to get rid of that darned AE model which rode like crap in town, for a C-14!!!  Both the C-14 and FJR are great but I am darned happy with my Kawi and my new dealer!!
2012 C-14

Offline ugocon

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 01:40:52 AM »
The FJR is a classical example of squeezing a (once) good project till the last drop. ;)

The project is old and only restyled during the years.
5 speed gear is out of date nowadays, though if you stay in the speed limits the difference with a 6 speed is negligible.

The look of the bike is stylish, sign of an outstanding initial project.

As I already posted some time ago, I recently discovered that you cannot mount at the same time the bags and the top case, that is an important limitation for a touring bike.
This is because the rear part of the frame doesn't grant the necessary sturdiness when vibrations and vertical accelerations arise.
Yamaha warns about this and prohibits it so if something happens while mounting everything they cannot be considered responsible.
It's also true that few FJR owners I talked to say they always mounted both, well loaded too, and nothing happened.

In my opinion too, the FJR is a backwards move from the C14...

... but if you like it, go for it!  ;)

It's a matter of passion

Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline wrichstrom

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »
I have had both the FJR(s) and the C-14 and ugo is correct on the step backward  :).  Both are great bikes 8).
2012 C-14

Offline jayke

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
Here's why I ordered the '13 FJR:

1) 40K trouble free miles on the C14, If it don't trade it soon it won't be worth anything.

2) My local dealer sell Kawasaki / Yahama... no trips out of town for service

3) My wife has a heck of a time getting on the C14, the bags are too high.  She has bad knees and I'm tall.
    She gets on first, then I have to drag my leg over.  This is getting harder as I get older.  On my '05 FJR she   
    got on second.  I hope she can do the same on the new one.   

4) Cruise control - I'm not puting cruise on another bike - I don't have the time.

5) After 5 years wanted something different for a while.

The C14 is the better bike but the FJR isn't that far off.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
She gets on first, then I have to drag my leg over.  This is getting harder as I get older.
Sad to say, I know what you mean.  :(

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
Here's why I ordered the '13 FJR:

1) 40K trouble free miles on the C14, If it don't trade it soon it won't be worth anything.

2) My local dealer sell Kawasaki / Yahama... no trips out of town for service

3) My wife has a heck of a time getting on the C14, the bags are too high.  She has bad knees and I'm tall.
    She gets on first, then I have to drag my leg over.  This is getting harder as I get older.  On my '05 FJR she   
    got on second.  I hope she can do the same on the new one.   

4) Cruise control - I'm not puting cruise on another bike - I don't have the time.

5) After 5 years wanted something different for a while.

The C14 is the better bike but the FJR isn't that far off.

General question for the group: Is this common practice? I've never let my wife climb on the back seat of a bike without me already being astride the thing for stability. She has no chance of reaching the ground in event of an inadvertant lean from back there and on many bikes I'd have no way to stop it if she did.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »
General question for the group: Is this common practice? I've never let my wife climb on the back seat of a bike without me already being astride the thing for stability. She has no chance of reaching the ground in event of an inadvertant lean from back there and on many bikes I'd have no way to stop it if she did.

I don't carry passengers much but when I do, I get on the bike first. Also I have no problem throwing a leg over but I almost always hit the right side case with my boot. Assuming the bike is on level stable ground I now step on to the left peg with my left foot, make sure I have my weight over the center of the bike then throw the right leg over. Much easier and no hitting the left side case. I can also do this when on the center stand.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
I'm always on the bike first, mama just puts her left foot on the left passenger peg and then swings her right leg up and over the passenger backrest, works like a charm and when she has a short skirt on the folks behind us always enjoy...  :o ;D ;)

Offline jayke

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »
I've got a Shad 46 Liter top case with one inch spacers under it to move the backrest up for her. No way she can get her leg over that with a bum knee.  She's only 5'1" anyway.

When she gets on first, the bike is on the side stand. I put my foot on top of the side stand and hold on to the left handlebar while she gets on.  I've told her not to lean to the right.  That's the only way we can ride together.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
When she gets on first, the bike is on the side stand. I put my foot on top of the side stand and hold on to the left handlebar while she gets on.  I've told her not to lean to the right.  That's the only way we can ride together.
ditto

Son of Pappy

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
ditto
Almost a ditto, mamas gotta lean right ;)

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 05:45:21 PM »
I'm so scared of the bike going over that I always get on first, steady the bike, and have my babe get on second, reminding her to not stand up straight when on the pegs.

(I do the same with my wife.) ;)
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »
I'm so scared of the bike going over that I always get on first, steady the bike, and have my babe get on second, reminding her to not stand up straight when on the pegs.

(I do the same with my wife.) ;)

I just put it on the kickstand for stability, once she's on and planted on the seat I stand the bike up (with an easy mama lean to the right), works much better IMO.  :thumbs:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 05:49:52 AM »
I step through the bike instead of trying to swing a leg over.

Then I steady the bike upright and lean forward.

My wife uses my shoulder and steps on the left footpeg with her left foot and then steps through and puts her right foot on the right footpeg and sits down.

The only bike I don't step through is the dual sport.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077