Author Topic: 2014 Sport Touring Shootout  (Read 7893 times)

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
2014 Sport Touring Shootout
« on: July 15, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
In just 4 short years our beloved Concours is the old bike on the block...better dig deeeep if u want the Beamer tho!

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2014-sport-touring-shootout-bmw-k1600gt-vs-kawasaki-concours-14-abs-vs-triumph-trophy-se-vs-yamaha-fjr1300es
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline TJ

Re: 2014 Sport Touring Shootout
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Good article and spot on about the Concours being least improved. Kawasaki needs to add cruise control. Sometimes I wonder what Kawasaki is thinking. I can understand their desire to keep the price down but sooner or later buyers move over to the higher tech machines.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
Good article and spot on about the Concours being least improved. Kawasaki needs to add cruise control. Sometimes I wonder what Kawasaki is thinking. I can understand their desire to keep the price down but sooner or later buyers move over to the higher tech machines.
Im guessin we'll see a new Concours for 2015?? Kaw isnt gonna take it layin down, not with all the recent updates to all their other bikes
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:03 AM »
I completely agree with the facts enumerated in the review, just not on the conclusions.
CC? nice, but I have a Go Cruise and I drive at least once a week bikes with CC, and don't miss it one bit. Ever.
Linked brakes? I drive an '08.
The K1600 has more torque? Yes, but it needs it to haul the extra weight. And it's a sweet engine but, sorry... have you driven that whale in the twisties?!!! Sheesh... after you drive it a while you understand that it feels light, but it isn't light. And don't get me started on reliability, or high speed stability (I personally, as engineer, cannot fathom why there are mono-arms in this world), or making a u-turn, or the price, or the throttle lag, or the total disconnection from handlebar to front wheel contact patch, or...
The Trophy cannot follow a C14 even for 2 curves, given the same driver's skills. I don't need more comfort than what the C14 gives me.
I love the Yamaha's engine sound, and the need of a 6th gear is arguable. And it might be able to follow a C14 for 3 curves.
No electronic suspension adjuster? That's a bummer, and I'd be willing to pay BMW price for that (700 USD is the option on a GS, if I remember correctly) but I won't give up everything else. Right now there is no better bike for me. And it's the cheapest.

I spent the weekend riding with a guy with a Yamaha YZF1000 from 1994, another one with a new KTM Super Duke 1290, a BMW R nineT and a Ducati 999s. The Yamaha was the fastest, by far. I came second. Far, far behind was the rest.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:38:08 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »
2 of the main dings on the C14 are: no cruise control and can't leave the bags unlocked. I have a Rostra electronic cruise control, $240 plus about 4 hours work and extra keys with knobs for the bags, ~$20. So for $260 I solved some of those complaints and we still have the fasted bike of the bunch.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
Amen
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »
2 of the main dings on the C14 are: no cruise control and can't leave the bags unlocked. I have a Rostra electronic cruise control, $240 plus about 4 hours work and extra keys with knobs for the bags, ~$20. So for $260 I solved some of those complaints and we still have the fasted bike of the bunch.
But the buy-in to this genre has gotten pretty steep.  We shouldn't HAVE to spend $240 and several hours to get it.  And spare keys doesn't let you leave the bags unlocked.  We should be able to unlock the bags and still have them securely closed.
Now, the locks thing is really nit-picking, but for the C14 to be competitive again, cruise control, ride modes and electronic suspension adjustments are going to be must-have items.  It eliminates guesswork for a lot of people who have no clue how to set up their suspension.  Al that, of course, adds $$$ to the bottom line which defeats the whole price-point thing.  But really, how much more expensive is the FJR right now? 
Heck, give me the cruise control, ESA, and more range & I'd be thrilled. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »
But the buy-in to this genre has gotten pretty steep.  We shouldn't HAVE to spend $240 and several hours to get it.  And spare keys doesn't let you leave the bags unlocked.  We should be able to unlock the bags and still have them securely closed.
Now, the locks thing is really nit-picking, but for the C14 to be competitive again, cruise control, ride modes and electronic suspension adjustments are going to be must-have items.  It eliminates guesswork for a lot of people who have no clue how to set up their suspension.  Al that, of course, adds $$$ to the bottom line which defeats the whole price-point thing.  But really, how much more expensive is the FJR right now? 
Heck, give me the cruise control, ESA, and more range & I'd be thrilled.

I leave a key in 99% of the time. I just looks like a small black knob on the case. Just turn the knob and open the case. But I agree with your assessment. CC, ESA do seem to be the new standard. I'm just saying my "old" C14 still stacks up pretty well with the others.

If I were in the market for something new I think I would go the other way and look for something lighter. My son just bought a 2005 Gen 1 FJR and the best thing about it is that at 537 lbs dry it is a full 100 lbs lighter then a 2014 FJR and ~120 lbs lighter then my 2010.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »
I'm with you on going the other direction.  Since they revived the VFR I've been hesitant to go to the cycle dealer 2 miles from my house.  I bought the C14 over the FJR thinking my wife might be more comfortable on the bike.  But since I've had the seat Spencerized and a Cal Sci windshield put on to address her biggest complaints, she hasn't been on the bike one single time.  She said 'maybe' if I got her a 1/2 helmet.  So my next bike will be bought for me- no one else.  That's not to say I'm not really happy with my '08 C14, just my next bike will be a different animal.  But that's still a long way down the road for me.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
Just how much crap does one need on a bike? I thought most bought their bikes to "get away" and "enjoy the freedom of the road".
Far too much importance is placed on farkles and not getting out and enjoying the ride.
JMO.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »
Just how much crap does one need on a bike? I thought most bought their bikes to "get away" and "enjoy the freedom of the road".
Far too much importance is placed on farkles and not getting out and enjoying the ride.
JMO.
Some folks require a lot.  Cruise is great for long highway drones.  I had it on a prior bike.  Now, for most of my riding, a VFR, ZRX, GS750E would suit me fine.  The new naked bikes are fine machines, but for some reason every manufacturer thinks they have to make an ugly bike, then call it 'striking' or 'avant garde'.  There are several old standards that I'd be more than happy riding all over the local roads, but if I'm going distance, cruise and more range are tops on my list.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 11:19:05 PM »
I don't know you, but 250 miles plus is range enough for me. My body needs a pause (whether I notice or not) before the tank needs more fuel, and it forces me to take one to be able to keep riding safely.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 11:57:35 AM »
I agree with Martin about the range issue. Although, if you're cruising across the "middle of nowwhere", it would be nice to have that little bit of extra range in the tank just in case. I've been on roads where the next station was so far ahead that we had to turn around and go back for gas and find another route. Granted, it wasn't for the  Concours, but for another rider in our group, but it can and does happen.

Nowdays, cruise is just about essential for touring part of sport/tourer. Lacking it was one of the only things that I had issue with on my Concours. That 85 miles each way to work and back (mostly Interstate) begged for one.

I still don't understand why they don't put more emphasis on the fact that they're comparing at $14k Concours against a $26k BMW. It's like saying a Vette is inferior because it doesn't stack up against some hyper-sports car that cost $250k.

And I personally don't think the electronic suspension adjustment is all that necessary on a bike that's on the road all the time. If you have a bike that may go offroad, like a GS, then maybe.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
I didn't have any fuel issues riding across Wyoming/Nebraska/Utah/Nevada in 2010.  Range of the bike is not an issue to me..  200 miles on a tank is fine.   I agree the bike needs to be updated but even if they do, they won't have me as a buyer.  This is my last bike.  It totally suites me, but it's the end of the line for me (not anytime soon).  Next vehicle is a convertible.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 03:21:35 PM »
Next vehicle is a convertible.

Heresy  :rotflmao:

Offline eng943

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 05:49:38 AM »
I completely agree with the facts enumerated in the review, just not on the conclusions.
CC? nice, but I have a Go Cruise and I drive at least once a week bikes with CC, and don't miss it one bit. Ever.
Linked brakes? I drive an '08.
The K1600 has more torque? Yes, but it needs it to haul the extra weight. And it's a sweet engine but, sorry... have you driven that whale in the twisties?!!! Sheesh... after you drive it a while you understand that it feels light, but it isn't light. And don't get me started on reliability, or high speed stability (I personally, as engineer, cannot fathom why there are mono-arms in this world), or making a u-turn, or the price, or the throttle lag, or the total disconnection from handlebar to front wheel contact patch, or...
The Trophy cannot follow a C14 even for 2 curves, given the same driver's skills. I don't need more comfort than what the C14 gives me.
I love the Yamaha's engine sound, and the need of a 6th gear is arguable. And it might be able to follow a C14 for 3 curves.
No electronic suspension adjuster? That's a bummer, and I'd be willing to pay BMW price for that (700 USD is the option on a GS, if I remember correctly) but I won't give up everything else. Right now there is no better bike for me. And it's the cheapest.

I spent the weekend riding with a guy with a Yamaha YZF1000 from 1994, another one with a new KTM Super Duke 1290, a BMW R nineT and a Ducati 999s. The Yamaha was the fastest, by far. I came second. Far, far behind was the rest.

I can't say I agree with your complaints on the k1600. True, peddling the bike at parking lot speeds it feels heavier than my c14, but once moving it handles arguably as good or better. High speed stability is tremendous. I routinely take mine into triple digits, and it is extremely planted. I am completely convinced that the duolever front suspension is the best design for a sport touring bike. The k1600 never exhibits brake dive into corners.

Both bikes have great power, but the k1600 has better roll on power, which is nice for two up riding. My c14 had flies removed and tuned. Noticeably smoother than the c14 as well, especially around 4500 rpm where my c14 would enter a slight buzz phase.

I am nearly two years into owning my 16, and have had no problems.

I liked my c14, and am anxious for kawasaki to redo it. If they give it cruise and esa, revise the horrible linked brakes, I will most likely come back to a c14.

All
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »
I didn't have any fuel issues riding across Wyoming/Nebraska/Utah/Nevada in 2010.  Range of the bike is not an issue to me..  200 miles on a tank is fine.   I agree the bike needs to be updated but even if they do, they won't have me as a buyer.  This is my last bike.  It totally suites me, but it's the end of the line for me (not anytime soon).  Next vehicle is a convertible.

I bought my Pontiac Solstice last August thinking it would help me wean off my addiction to riding.  I've had some great drives in it, but it just doesn't compare to riding.

For those who wonder about the cruise control, I don't want it for droning down the Interstates.  I want it so that I don't have to keep looking down at my speedo to make sure I'm not accidently going 85 in a 55.  Having cruise allows one to concentrate on the ride instead of the throttle.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 07:19:33 AM »
I bought my Pontiac Solstice last August thinking it would help me wean off my addiction to riding.  I've had some great drives in it, but it just doesn't compare to riding.

For those who wonder about the cruise control, I don't want it for droning down the Interstates.  I want it so that I don't have to keep looking down at my speedo to make sure I'm not accidently going 85 in a 55.  Having cruise allows one to concentrate on the ride instead of the throttle.

+1 When traveling on the C14 I typically set it to 4 over and then stop looking at the speedo.