Author Topic: Stebel install part duex  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
Stebel install part duex
« on: August 21, 2012, 05:55:51 AM »
Initially installed my Stebel under the lower left fairing, but with the Canyon Cages taking up that space, I had to find another location.  Placing the whole thing under the right upper fairing was not an option for me since I did not want to blast myself with 139 decibels!

So, separating the compressor and horn was the only way to go. Unfortunately I ended up with the version that had the black plastic shroud over the entire thing, so separating it was a lot more difficult. After seeing Awaz's adventure into this process and his use of the Dremel (http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9249.0), I decided to take a less destructive approach.

Denatured alcohol, and a couple of screw drivers did the trick....there is ALOT of glue holding that shroud on.  Pried the sucker back, and liberally pored the alcohol between the shroud and horn, making sure I did not pore any into any of the compressor openings.  The alcohol released the glue, and the shroud popped off with some strategic prying.

Mounting the compressor in the upper right was easy. Just used the steel mount I used for the previous install, bent it slightly, and it worked perfectly attached to the left side fairing/mirror mount.

Horn was a bit more difficult...after trying to find a place next to the stock horn, lower left and right fairings, I moved onto the forks. Tried to mount it various ways on the left, and finally came up with it mounted on the right.  Blends in nicely, and is not noticeable. I just need to paint the angle bracket black.

Pics....
[smg id=363]
[smg id=364]
[smg id=365]
[smg id=366]
[smg id=367]
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)