Author Topic: synchronizing carbs  (Read 1634 times)

Offline mellow yellow

synchronizing carbs
« on: May 26, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
today was trying to synchronize my carbs. got 1 & 2 close, got 3 & 4 close. but when I try to balance the left and the right together I'm having a hard time. the revs. go up and I adjust the idler knob to bring them down, but I'm almost at the end of the knob travel and the carbs still aren't balanced. does that mean that there could be an issue with the piston rings?  I also did a valve adjustment and found a couple of the valves were tight and one was too loose. Thanks

Offline jimbobob

Re: synchronizing carbs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »
Watch this video. You may need to back off your adjustment screws and start over.

https://youtu.be/0O9ZrjXV-y8

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »
Thanks for the vid. got the carbs. synched this morning before watching the video. just had to keep playing with it. on a different note. after I put the tank back on, the bike would idle ok, but kept dying out every time I opened the throttle. I was banging my head over this and was almost ready to pull the carbs back off, when I remember years ago I ran into the same problem after synching my carbs. I had to put at least 1+ gallon of fuel back into the tank for it to stay running after I had emptied it, to take the tank off. can someone explain why this is? Thanks

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »
The one gallon of gas was only enough gas to run on reserve..
Did you have the petcock in the reserve position?

{doubtful this happened}
But; Only other thing could be you poured all the gas on the right side of the tank.
        Because of the hump in the middle/bottom of the tank, it would not reach the left side until you had enough to flow
          over the hump.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
nope, had the bike on the side stand. but all is good now. just have to replace the throttle cables. think I might have kinked them when reinstalling them back on the carbs. they don't go back smoothly unless I manually move them. they're the original cables that were on the bike when purchased in 05. Thanks for responding.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »
nope, had the bike on the side stand. but all is good now. just have to replace the throttle cables. think I might have kinked them when reinstalling them back on the carbs. they don't go back smoothly unless I manually move them. they're the original cables that were on the bike when purchased in 05. Thanks for responding.

going back in, and loosening the lock nut on the cable adjuster on the carb body, turning it a half turn, and tightening the nut again, and making sure the cable isn't "bent" where it meets the adjusting barrel/ferrule screw, alleviates that "binding" 90% of the time.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »
it's bent. got the replacement cables a few days ago. just waiting for some free time to install them.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 07:07:14 PM »
it's bent. got the replacement cables a few days ago. just waiting for some free time to install them.

ya can straighten out the old one... just mentioning...    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
they last a long time... and when the do snap, having new ones is nice..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..