Author Topic: Prospective new member: Should I buy this?  (Read 1281 times)

Offline DSA

Prospective new member: Should I buy this?
« on: February 28, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
Hi folks,

I am planning to trade in my '93 CBR1000F for a used Concours 14. I went to see one at the dealer today. It is a 2008, and has under 15k miles.
They want $5,500 for it, and are willing to give me $1,000 for the CBR.
Before pulling the trigger on it, I wanted to get some current owner thoughts - who better to ask? :)

- Out the door, after factoring in my trade in, I would be paying about $5,100. From what I can tell from Craigslist postings, this seems very reasonable, specially since the bike has low miles. For reference, I live in the San Francisco Bay area. I could probably get more for the CBR if I sold it privately...but then I have to deal with the hassles that come with that.
- I test rode the bike and definitely liked it. It is totally stock except for a Delkevic slip on, which I found very quiet (not a bad thing, just an observation). I've read about the heat that those early bikes put on, and could feel it near my legs. But I don't get on a bike without riding boots on. It was 80F today and I wasn't able to ride fast during the test ride, but I did not find the heat oppressive. I can live with this.
- The guy at the dealership told me they repaired a leaking valve cover gasket on this. I read up, and apparently this is not uncommon with these bikes. But, is it a hit or miss with these bikes? Meaning, does that fact that it happened once to this bike mean it is likely to keep on happening?
- For some obscure reason, they didn't do the valve service while they were in there changing the gasket. I'm going to insist they do it before I buy it. I work on my bikes and would do it myself, but why buy a bike to have to immediately work on it?

I'm grateful for any thoughts on this, and on the bike in general.

Thanks!

Offline connie_rider

Re: Prospective new member: Should I buy this?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »
I think $5500 is too much. The market is down on bikes.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »
I'm with Ted on this. Win win for the dealer. They make two grand on the bike and get yours for free. Keep looking and good luck.

Offline DSA

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 07:02:23 PM »
Hmm ok, thanks for responding and good to know. I tried finding cheaper prior to this, but couldn't really" https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=concours+14
That first one is actually the one I'm looking at.

As for the other items: is the formerly leaking valve cover gasket to worry about? These bikes generally seem extremely reliable, but is there any other achilles's heel?

Thanks!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 07:28:32 PM »
I am planning to trade in my '93 CBR1000F for a used Concours 14. I went to see one at the dealer today. It is a 2008, and has under 15k miles.  They want $5,500 for it, and are willing to give me $1,000 for the CBR.
Before pulling the trigger on it, I wanted to get some current owner thoughts - who better to ask? :)

Seems a bit high.  Probably no ABS.  Gen 1.  You might be able to work with them more.  That is crazy low miles, though.

- I test rode the bike and definitely liked it. It is totally stock except for a Delkevic slip on, which I found very quiet (not a bad thing, just an observation).

If you like it now, wait till it gets an ECU flash (which is essentially mandatory now)

I've read about the heat that those early bikes put on, and could feel it near my legs. But I don't get on a bike without riding boots on.

Heat is heat.  Doesn't matter if you are wearing boots :)  The heat can be in your lap, too.  But there are things you can do.  The Gen 2 is much better at heat management.  But there are times I can be uncomfortable.

The guy at the dealership told me they repaired a leaking valve cover gasket on this. I read up, and apparently this is not uncommon with these bikes. But, is it a hit or miss with these bikes? Meaning, does that fact that it happened once to this bike mean it is likely to keep on happening?

C14 valve covers, as a rule, don't leak.  What leaks is the cam sensor o-ring.  So this makes me wonder...

For some obscure reason, they didn't do the valve service while they were in there changing the gasket. I'm going to insist they do it before I buy it. I work on my bikes and would do it myself, but why buy a bike to have to immediately work on it?

It is a LOT of work on this bike.  And they would be insane to not check the valves if the cover was off.  It is a very time consuming job, so if you can swing that, it might be worth that price.  If you trust they will actually do it.  (I am not very trusting).  Can we assume they at least replaced ALL fluids?  What about TPS?  Were they working?  Even with low miles, after 12 years, they should be either dead, or have already been replaced.  If not, add that to the list (they are expensive to replace).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DSA

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 10:22:15 PM »
This was really helpful!

- It does have ABS. They aren't bringing down the price any further. I might be able to get them to shave 200 bucks of DMV fees off, but that's about it. I figured I was better served trying to get the savings by having them do the valves.

- What is the ECU flash for? Usually it is to unleash power that has been held back by emissions requirements, or to fix a snatchy throttle. The throttle seems plenty smooth to me, and the last thing this bike needs is more power :).

- I should badger them more about that "valve cover leak" then...

- Yeah, they changed the oil, flushed the brakes, replaced the coolant, and put new tires on it. Didn't check the TPS or ask about it - these are not things I think about on my 1993 CBR lol. Fair point on the valves. I may ask them to take a picture or something?

Thanks again for the input!

Offline DSA

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 10:28:57 PM »
If this is what you're referring to, actually, I can totally see why: http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ZG1400.htm
Janky website, but I've heard only good things about Ivan's tuning.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 07:09:34 AM »
DSA. we understand saving $$.
Because of the info below, and the current market, we think you can do better, and get more for your current machine.

Go to http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php and go down to the Marketplace.
A few bikes are there now. Mostly newer than your looking at, but most that you will see there were owned by COG Members.
{ so there is a history available }

New/old stock Connies often are available at a dealer for as little as $10,000 with full 3 year warranty available.
Your looking at a 08 for half that amount..

As others said, the cam O-ring is the most likely to be a leak. Never heard of a valve cover leaking if someone hasn't removed the cover. Not sure about an 08, but newer Connie's have a TMPS to check tire pressure. If that fails, about $300 each... Very likely to need replacing on an 08.
Maybe the dealer installed new when they did the tires?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 07:34:21 AM »
I would also ride it and make sure that both tire pressure sensors are operational.  You should see pressure from both wheels.  I think that the 2008 came with 2 full sized fobs as well.  If you have one then I'd be looking to get a backup.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DSA

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 10:09:31 AM »
Fair enough. I think I'm trying a bit too hard to talk myself into this. I'll wait for something better. Thanks for the great advice you all shared, and hope my next post is introducing my C14!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »
hope my next post is introducing my C14!
:banana Looking forward to it.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 11:22:46 AM »
- It does have ABS.

Cool!

- What is the ECU flash for? Usually it is to unleash power that has been held back by emissions requirements, or to fix a snatchy throttle. The throttle seems plenty smooth to me, and the last thing this bike needs is more power :).

Yes to all.  Reduces throttle snatch, better mileage, much more power, smoother.  Just better in every way.  I highly recommend it.

Remember to check the TPS....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 11:41:20 AM »
Fair enough. I think I'm trying a bit too hard to talk myself into this. I'll wait for something better. Thanks for the great advice you all shared, and hope my next post is introducing my C14!

I agree with the others, it's too much. I don't mean to pile on but just to add that Kelly Blue Book (and yes opinions vary on them) gives a trade in value of $3245 and a retail of $4720 so with a
$1000 trade in $3500-$3720 would be more reasonable. If you like that model (some prefer the appearance of the earlier models) I'd give the dealer your offer and phone number and then keep looking.
If he still has the bike in late May, I believe he will call you and you still have the chance of finding a newer model that you may fall in love with until then. Best wishes.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »
 :goodpost:

Don't rush into anything.  But at the same time, as bikes get old, condition matters more and more.  I know to me, I am willing to pay more for the color I want, or the condition I demand, or sold by a reputable entity, and with the least hassle/travel.  Perhaps this bike *is* worth that price to you, but perhaps not.  It is a good thing to shop around, regardless.

But the decision to own a C14- that is a good one, regardless :)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »
That's have been some low mileage bikes on Cycletrader.com recently. Not sure if any are close to you.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1