Author Topic: Connie vs newer bikes  (Read 3907 times)

Offline katata1100

Re: Connie vs newer bikes
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 10:31:03 PM »
A C14 can blast through the 1/4 mile about 1.5 secs faster than a C10. It has some serious grunt and that never gets old. I’m not dissing the c10, but when a luxury bike like the c14 has more whoopass than a late 80’s GSX1100R, it is amazing.
When you have a bike that has that, it should help put that c10 in the rear view mirror of your memory.
The c14 is superior in every way. However, think of this-
When the c10 came out, it was a great bike. Even though it is dated and there is better stuff out there, it still is a great bike.
Look at it like this- my ‘06 GTO to a ‘69 GTO.But that doesn’t make the ‘69 GTO any less desirable . Forget that it’s s collector car; it’s still a blast to drive.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »
Had a 2002 C10 and an 08 C14.  No comparison in power and braking.  C14 hands down is the better one in my opinion.  But hey, I'm the one with an Indian Roadmaster now.  LOL.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »
I'll add my counterpoint.  After 15 years of C10 ownership, I "upgraded" to a C14 in 2017.  My initial impression was a little disappointing as the around town torque was not what I expected for 40% more displacement.  The brakes and power windshield were the big improvements in my opinion.  The handling is improved but I have  owned many sport bikes including a zx10r with a few track days.  This is still a heavy pig but I knew that going in.  The thing I really miss on the C10 is the range and soft suspension.  I like to put in 12 hour days and my last trip was in a headwind with me stopping every 150 miles or so on I-40 and my best was 170 before the light came on.  The C10 would go 220.  That soft mushy suspension that everyone complains about is real nice after a few hours in saddle.  I sold my C10 before the first long trip thinking there was no way I would want to go back.  Knowing what I know now, I would have never switched.  For what I used it for, the C10 was the better suited.  I probably should have done the FJR1300 since it is more touring oriented but I like Kawasaki and the C14 looks so much better.                                 
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline katata1100

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 10:14:13 AM »
It’s not really fair to base a bike’s fuel efficiency on driving in a headwind. It’s like saying my ‘03 Jetta diesel wagon is a fuel hog because it once got only 36 mpg ( it was fully loaded, outside temp was 110
and I was doing around 105 mph!).
With Mcruise on, fuel saving mode too, when cruising long stretches of interstate, I get 50mpg. That gives the c14 a range of 250miles, that’s plenty.Also worth praising is fuel injection, bike runs perfect at sea level or 12k’.
As for comfort, on this bike, it’s more a function of the seat than suspension (at least for me). My once
comfy seargent seat is no longer comfy so I’ll replace it. I really softened up the suspension on my bike with adjustments so I’m happy there.

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 06:30:50 PM »
My C14 is an 08 and does not have eco mode.  On my last trip of 4K miles, the light would come on around 170 or less assuming I had the nerve to wait that long.  Most of my trips are out west and the 30 miles or so remaining after the light might not get you to the next station.  A lot of the time I was alone and didn't feel like risking it.  My buddy with a BMW 1200 GS was getting the same mpg, he just has a lot bigger tank.  I believe the eco mode came about due to complaints on range with the 1st gen.  The C14 is an awesome bike and I will probably be riding it for years to come.  There were just some qualities of the C10 that really fit my long distance riding style.  I even got my bun burner gold on it   ;)       
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS