Author Topic: speed limiter question  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Jethrobolas

speed limiter question
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
i glanced at the speedo after letting it breathe in 5th on an open stretch of slab this afternoon. I caught the needle dropping from a couple notches over 160 after I chopped the throttle. It was still pulling strong when I backed off.
After safe arrival at the hideout, I yanked the seat and pulled the ecu out from the strap looking for evidence of tampering (flash sticker).
2012 bought used this April with under 10k miles. I don't feel it runs like its been flashed. Wont come close to power wheelie without clutch in any gear. No sticker, appears bone stock aside from battery tender connector and tires.
I understand indicated speed doesn't mean actual speed, but I was well over 155 (limiter is set at 154 on gen2, no?) as far as the bike was concerned. What gives?
oh, found the rev limiter this morning :-* This thing is FUN. Need to sell a few unused items so I can send the brain on a Florida vacation at concours boot camp for a proper attitude adjustment. Hopefully can sneak that by the financial advisor this winter.

Offline Jethrobolas

Re: speed limiter question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
Just realized I posted this in the WRONG section. Im sorry, normally use my phone, not used to this computer. Not sure how i wound up posting this here.
mods please fix my foolish error!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:40:41 AM »
I don't feel it runs like its been flashed.

It isn't too hard to know if it is not flashed.  If there isn't much power below 4K at mid-throttle- not flashed.  If there are noticable power dips at mid or high throttle through 4K-7K- not flashed.  Of course, nothing illustrates the change more than riding it before and after :)

Need to sell a few unused items so I can send the brain on a Florida vacation at concours boot camp for a proper attitude adjustment.

Definitely
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 06:48:11 AM »
i glanced at the speedo after letting it breathe in 5th on an open stretch of slab this afternoon. I caught the needle dropping from a couple notches over 160 after I chopped the throttle. It was still pulling strong when I backed off.
After safe arrival at the hideout, I yanked the seat and pulled the ecu out from the strap looking for evidence of tampering (flash sticker).
2012 bought used this April with under 10k miles. I don't feel it runs like its been flashed. Wont come close to power wheelie without clutch in any gear. No sticker, appears bone stock aside from battery tender connector and tires.
I understand indicated speed doesn't mean actual speed, but I was well over 155 (limiter is set at 154 on gen2, no?) as far as the bike was concerned. What gives?
oh, found the rev limiter this morning :-* This thing is FUN. Need to sell a few unused items so I can send the brain on a Florida vacation at concours boot camp for a proper attitude adjustment. Hopefully can sneak that by the financial advisor this winter.

I'm not sure that I understand. Did the previous owner tell you that the bike had been flashed? Is that why you were surprised by the speed limiter at 154 (that would be actual speed, not speedo indicated)?

No such limiter on the superior gen one C14.    8) 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
I'm not sure that I understand. Did the previous owner tell you that the bike had been flashed? Is that why you were surprised by the speed limiter at 154 (that would be actual speed, not speedo indicated)?

No such limiter on the superior gen one C14.    8)

No, I was never told it was flashed. I don’t believe it is.
I’m not understanding why it seems my stock gen2 has no limiter. Further “testing” is required to verify results and a gps speedometer app with top speed memory should clear things up, but i am certain I was around at least 165 indicated and still accelerating before I started coming up on civilization and closed the throttle. If it has been flashed, I’m not happy and will be sending it to Steve at some point.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 01:18:03 PM »
C, you ain't alone.  I'm not sure I'm understanding the question either.  So the OP isn't happy about 165mph indicated?  Sounds like to me it's running fine.  What's the issue?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 03:25:43 PM »
If the tire sizes are not correct, it could be that (taller tires), combined with regular variance, would have the "indicated" speed far off from the actual speed.  It gets quite amplified as speed gets up there.

Does the bike really limit SPEED or just RPM?  I thought it just had a rev limiter.  If it limits only RPM, then top speed would be rev limiter x gearing x tires.  So indicated speed could be more than what one would expect.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »
C, you ain't alone.  I'm not sure I'm understanding the question either.  So the OP isn't happy about 165mph indicated?  Sounds like to me it's running fine.  What's the issue?

I’m happy but confused because the bike is not supposed to go that fast in stock form.
The whole reason I keep typing “indicated” is because that’s what the speedo was reading which, in theory, is what the bikes computer thinks my velocity is. Theres no gps built into the bike that I’m aware of, so when the speedo reads 154 it should go no faster being limited to that speed by the factory programming(regardless of actual speed). Why was it still pulling into the 160s?
As I said, more testing is needed to verify the apparent anomaly. Whenever the opportunity arises again.
No need to think too deeply about it. Obviously this must be the first report of this happening. Maybe I’m just loosing my marbles. I will return to this thread either yay or nay when I try again.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:28:32 PM by Jethrobolas »

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 04:07:47 AM »
To my knowledge, there isn't a "speed" limiter, only a "Rev" limiter within the ECU.

There have been several GPS documented 165 MPH runs (in 5th gear as there's too much wind resistance to go this fast in 6th). The main reason that the C14 "normally" tops out in the 160's is mostly due to the Aerodynamics & Wind Resistance. Oh and the size of the riders balls.......

So Jethrobolas.... How was your bike configured when you made this run? With or Without the hard bags? Do you have the "stock" windscreen or aftermarket? I'd presume that you had the windscreen at it's lowest setting and you were in a "tucked" position, but again, that is just a presumption.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 05:00:19 AM »
My Gen1 clocked at 185 by friendly police radar, controlled setting.  Not by me.  Balls too small.  It had one of Steve's flashes.  Don't remember which one now.  The C14 is one amazing, little known amazing machine.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »
To my knowledge, there isn't a "speed" limiter, only a "Rev" limiter within the ECU.

There have been several GPS documented 165 MPH runs (in 5th gear as there's too much wind resistance to go this fast in 6th). The main reason that the C14 "normally" tops out in the 160's is mostly due to the Aerodynamics & Wind Resistance. Oh and the size of the riders balls.......

So Jethrobolas.... How was your bike configured when you made this run? With or Without the hard bags? Do you have the "stock" windscreen or aftermarket? I'd presume that you had the windscreen at it's lowest setting and you were in a "tucked" position, but again, that is just a presumption.

Side cases on, no top case, stock screen full down and I didn’t weasel under the paint but I got tucked in a bit to get my helmet/shoulders  out of the wind.

Rode it to work again but have my top case mounted because I need the storage today so I don’t want to push it too much. Sure makes the 160 mile round trip more tolerable. Long commute because I dislike Chicago but need the money it contains.  Fantastic machine, no doubt. If I could just get the wifey comfortable on it...........and her discomfort has nothing to do with the way I ride...usually.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
I have no references to quote, but somewhere on the internet was read by my cousin's ex-girlfriend's brother-in-law's acquaintance's friend ( ::) ), and it said that the GEN I C14's were limited to 300 kph (186.411 mph) and that Gen II's were limited to 250 kph (155.3 mph) from the factory.

Somebody check that out for us will you?..... I'm just too busy right now.  8) :popcorn:

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
I have no references to quote, but somewhere on the internet was read by my cousin's ex-girlfriend's brother-in-law's acquaintance's friend ( ::) ), and it said that the GEN I C14's were limited to 300 kph (186.411 mph) and that Gen II's were limited to 250 kph (155.3 mph) from the factory.

Somebody check that out for us will you?..... I'm just too busy right now.  8) :popcorn:
I have read the same thing, and that is the reason I started this thread. Honestly, I thought it was a well known fact.
Why would kaw limit the speed? Are you less dead in a crash doing 155 than 185? With machines available that can easily walk right by the Connie, whats the point of limiting top speed.

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
I’m happy but confused because the bike is not supposed to go that fast in stock form.
The whole reason I keep typing “indicated” is because that’s what the speedo was reading which, in theory, is what the bikes computer thinks my velocity is. Theres no gps built into the bike that I’m aware of, so when the speedo reads 154 it should go no faster being limited to that speed by the factory programming(regardless of actual speed). Why was it still pulling into the 160s?
As I said, more testing is needed to verify the apparent anomaly. Whenever the opportunity arises again.
No need to think too deeply about it. Obviously this must be the first report of this happening. Maybe I’m just loosing my marbles. I will return to this thread either yay or nay when I try again.

A number of my motorcycles over the years have had a speedo error of around 12%, that would make your actual speed about 145, at an indicated 165, well under the limit. My RC51 had an error of 8%, so an indicated 165 would be 151.8, also under the limit.  An 8% error is not uncommon.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »
I found this. Not sure why the C-14 is 155, other than the fairing would make it less stable above that speed.
Or the agreement changes from 186 to 155 for certain class of motorcycles.

Best Answer:  The OEM Japanese manufacturers decided to limit the speed of any bike that could approach 200 mph to 186 mph.This was done in 2001.Mainly the reason was to keep the goverment from stepping in and setting horsepower limits.In 1980,in the USA,we had senators screaming about "Killer Superbikes" and wanting to set HP limits then. Luckly, it did not happen. This Agreement was widely reported on in 2001 by all the M/C magazines.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 04:12:18 PM »
Yep, perception and the belief that manufacturers are encouraging people to do dangerous things, such as ride at very excessive speeds, on their products. Which is exactly why we have 1) the fastest production motorcycle and 2) the quickest production motorcycle. And that helps sell bikes but it also alerts some other people, notably politicians, that we must 'do something' about this horrible problem, whether it is either horrible or even a problem or not. This is not new either, the big four American car manufacturers signed into an anti- racing plan back in the 1950's when cars started to produce a lot of horsepower and go considerably faster (1957 if memory serves).

Perception trumps reality every single time: red sports bikes doing 80 MPH are far more of a danger, and actually going much faster than an old- man's fat sport- tourer doing 80 MPH, especially if ridden by an old man. Sounds silly but it works the vast majority of the time.

And once is a while someone really does 'do something' about this pressing problem- the French limit motorcycle hp to 100 so bikes such as the C-14 (or GTR1400) have air restrictors put into their intakes, as well as any other motorcycles sold and used in France. Now a realistic look at motorcycle fatalities will show that there is absolutely no need to have more than 100 hp to slaughter people by the dozens of thousands but hey, as long as they 'did something', that is what counts, right?

On a more sane level, Germany was tired of picking up German carcasses and their motorcycle wrecks and instituted a new law; a new motorcycle license holder was limited to 600 cc max. for the first two years after receiving his / her motorcycle license. Then that person could ride anything. And BTW, the person did not have to actually ride <any> motorcycle for the first two years, simply let the two year time- out run out and viola! This actually had a positive effect on reducing motorcycle deaths in Germany, or so I have been told by several German nationals.

Brian

I found this. Not sure why the C-14 is 155, other than the fairing would make it less stable above that speed.
Or the agreement changes from 186 to 155 for certain class of motorcycles.

Best Answer:  The OEM Japanese manufacturers decided to limit the speed of any bike that could approach 200 mph to 186 mph.This was done in 2001.Mainly the reason was to keep the goverment from stepping in and setting horsepower limits.In 1980,in the USA,we had senators screaming about "Killer Superbikes" and wanting to set HP limits then. Luckly, it did not happen. This Agreement was widely reported on in 2001 by all the M/C magazines.

Ride safe, Ted
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 04:22:30 PM »
 At 75 indicated with the 50 series I am doing 70-71. With the 55 series 75 it is 72. I have never checked it at 150 but have had occasion . Cant imagine what the penalty for that is.
Wayne

A number of my motorcycles over the years have had a speedo error of around 12%, that would make your actual speed about 145, at an indicated 165, well under the limit. My RC51 had an error of 8%, so an indicated 165 would be 151.8, also under the limit.  An 8% error is not uncommon.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2019, 04:32:17 PM »
Yep, perception and the belief [...] we must 'do something' about this horrible problem, whether it is either horrible or even a problem or not. [...] Perception trumps reality every single time

Sounds exactly like the vast majority of "gun control".  I believe that most people operate only on emotion, not logic or fact.  (And these "woke", "emotional" and "empathetic" people are also really good at spending other people's money and taking away other people's rights, choices, and freedoms).

Of course, there is a weak relation between a motorcycle's top speed and/or power and the likelihood of a fatal accident on those.  But that is more likely because of who is attracted to that model.  Such a person is likely to be irresponsible and dangerous at 150 or 125 or 100, or 60 MPH.   Power and speed are only a small, small fraction of overall risk.... If I had a dollar for every slow HD rider I see who is dressed completely inappropriately, changing lanes without using signals, barely visible brake lights, weaving, severely distracted, tailgating, and doing all kinds of stupid stuff, I would have a lot of money.

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 04:43:37 PM »
The speedo and the ecu get signal from the same sensor for speed but each interprets the signal independently. My bike as an ex police moto happened to come to me with the speed sensor wire disconnected from the ECU but still connected to the speedo. It resulted in an error code. I'm willing to bet the ECU interprets the speed from that signal much less optimistically than the speedo.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 07:11:35 AM »

I'm positive that Kawasaki is fully aware that the speedo doesn't show the actual speed. Further, I'm sure that if they wanted to limit the speed to 154 (and they have) as indicated by GPS then they would have no problems doing so regardless of what the speedo reads.

My understanding is that the speedo reads ~5% high. Add 5% to your 155 and you have ~163, exactly what you observed according to your first post.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn