Author Topic: Gas octane at higher elevations  (Read 5655 times)

Offline TJ

Gas octane at higher elevations
« on: May 03, 2013, 12:15:14 PM »
Just learned that you can use a lower octane at higher elevations. Since we just moved to Peyton CO which is approximately 6,200 feet I am wondering if 85 or 85.5 octane is safe to use in our bikes?
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Gas octane at higher elevations
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
At elevation, lower your octane requirement by two.

Up here, 85 octane is 'regular' grade, the same as 87 octane at sea level.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
If I remember correctly- the higher the octane, the slower the burn and/or more retarded the ignition is.  Higher performance engines, especially with higher temps and compression, need a higher octane to prevent preignition of the fuel.  Higher octane fuel is actually less energetic and should only be used when required by the engine design.

At higher elevations, there is less pressure and less oxygen per unit of air.  That will retard the ignition and slow the burn with less need for more octane.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »
Hello TJ, welcome to my neck of the woods. I live in the Black Forest area. Our bikes call for 90 octane at sea level. You can definitely get by with less at higher altitude due to what Maxtog said. Typically in this area regular is 85, Mid Grade is 87 and Premium is 89. You can use 87 without any knocking but not sure about 85. I use premium only because there are times I have been traveling and could only find 85. If I'm half full with 89 and put some 85 in I think I end up with 87. Better then pure 85.

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
Interesting. Even though i have only had my bike since last fall, i have always filled up with regular. I will consider high octane once the weather warms up to summer highs. I have never actually considered elevation as part of the equation, only ambient temps and city driving.

Wouldn't the ECS compensate for lower air flow, thus injecting a slightly smaller volume of fuel?

chrs- mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 04:53:39 PM »
Altitude is definitely part of the equation. Octane effects the flash point of the gas and higher octane is used in higher compression engines so there is no pre-detonation aka knocking. Less atmospheric pressure means less actual air getting into the cylinder less compression, lower temps in the combustion chamber means lower flashpoint gas can be used.

Offline TJ

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
Hello TJ, welcome to my neck of the woods. I live in the Black Forest area. Our bikes call for 90 octane at sea level. You can definitely get by with less at higher altitude due to what Maxtog said. Typically in this area regular is 85, Mid Grade is 87 and Premium is 89. You can use 87 without any knocking but not sure about 85. I use premium only because there are times I have been traveling and could only find 85. If I'm half full with 89 and put some 85 in I think I end up with 87. Better then pure 85.

Thanks. I was thinking we only needed 87 at sea level. But since my bike and manual are still with the movers I could easily be wrong. Hope to have her on the road by 13 May. I am soooooo looking forward to riding again after a short, cold, season last year.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 05:47:58 PM »
Thanks. I was thinking we only needed 87 at sea level. But since my bike and manual are still with the movers I could easily be wrong. Hope to have her on the road by 13 May. I am soooooo looking forward to riding again after a short, cold, season last year.

The bike clearly calls for 90 octane [at sea level, although that is not said] both in the operator's manual and the sticker on the gas tank (which of course I and most people remove).  87 is not high enough.

Quote:

"NOTICE: Use minimum of 90 octane gasoline only to prevent severe engine damage."
"NOTICE: Never use gasoline with an octane rating lower than the minimum specified by Kawasaki."
"NOTICE: Avoid using blends of unleaded gasoline and methanol (wood alcohol) whenever possible, and never use “gasohol” containing more than 5% methanol."
"Use clean, fresh unleaded gasoline with a minimum Antiknock Index of 90."
"Operating problems that result from the use of poor quality or non-recommended fuel may not be covered under your warranty."

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »
Alky is all but unavoidable and it's all E10 as far as I know. Til fedgov decides E15 is better for us that is.

Max is that 90 a RON number?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
Alky is all but unavoidable and it's all E10 as far as I know. Til fedgov decides E15 is better for us that is.

It is E10 here also (stupid idiots).  Anyway, quote:

"The Antiknock Index is an average of the Research Octane Number (RON) and the Motor Octane Number (MON) as shown in the table.

Octane Rating Method         Minimum  Rating
================       ============
Antiknock  (RON + MON)               
Index         ---------------                 90
                          2                                                       "

Offline daveyboy

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »
I was really surprised that this bike calls for 90 octane--its compression ratio is lower than many other bikes that only require regular.
My Kawasakis:
2012 Concours
2003 Z1000
1970 G4TR 100 Trail Boss

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »
I was really surprised that this bike calls for 90 octane--its compression ratio is lower than many other bikes that only require regular.

Normal compression ratio is a major factor, but not the only factor.

We have to trust that Kawasaki engineers are competent at choosing the correct octane specifications.  Unnecessarily high octane lowers mileage and performance- neither is something they would want to do.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:24:14 PM »
Variable Valve Timing.  Compression goes up as RPMs increase.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
Never less than 89 for me......Never less!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 07:12:43 PM »
Really?  You know, this is strange, I was riding back from South Hill, VA today and I was thinking that we hadn't had an octane thread in a quite bit of time.  I must be psychotic.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:24:48 PM »
...or psychedelic.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »
Really?  You know, this is strange, I was riding back from South Hill, VA today and I was thinking that we hadn't had an octane thread in a quite bit of time.  I must be psychotic.

Yeah... :o
'02 C-10

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bluedogok

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »

You can still find E0 in places away from the major metros with EPA issues. A gas station not too far from my parents in Oklahoma City has both E0 and E10.