Author Topic: Great cold ride today  (Read 10589 times)

Offline PH14

Re: Great cold ride today
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »
Yes TDI. I love it.

Great engine.  I always thought it funny that everyone got so excited over the original hybrids, when Volkswagen had been getting high fuel mileage for years with their diesels, with good sized cars. I do appreciate the newer hybrids, but the TDI is very hard to beat on the highway. I tried to get a Jetta a number of years ago, but they were going for more than retail here for a while. I ended up buying something else and don't need a different car yet.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 10:53:05 AM »
Great engine.  I always thought it funny that everyone got so excited over the original hybrids, when Volkswagen had been getting high fuel mileage for years with their diesels, with good sized cars. I do appreciate the newer hybrids, but the TDI is very hard to beat on the highway. I tried to get a Jetta a number of years ago, but they were going for more than retail here for a while. I ended up buying something else and don't need a different car yet.

I had a 1978 Diesel Rabbit 4 speed. Got 57 MPG highway or city. It didn't matter how I drove it. It only had 48 hp so acceleration was always floor it to red line, shift, floor it to red line, etc. I had an aftermarket 10 gal aux tank that fit into the spare tire well giving the car a 20 gal total fuel capacity. I once went San Jose CA to Albuquerque NM without getting fuel. Much of that at wide open throttle which got the car to about 80 mph on level ground. So me too, never been all that impressed with modern hybrids.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »

We're coming up on two years of ownership on our '12 Jetta TDI. Both my wife and I love that lil car.

On topic.

I'm glad that I didn't ride today. 26 degrees right now with snow flurries in the forecast. Two inches of snow on the ground now and it's still coming down...    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 06:10:01 PM »
Temp when I got to work today.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »
I went to a friend's house on Sunday and he asked me if I rode my bike over there or not. He thought he was making a joke but normally I would have ridden the bike but he was too close to gear up / gear off for that little distance.

The absolute worst thing about winter riding is all the perspiring that goes on during the 'getting ready' phase and the actual riding. Then the cold wind hits all the exposed, damp skin and is like an ice- pick wake up call. Then the discomfort sets in before the heated gear settles into some stable point. Nothing worse than riding at 20 F for five minutes; too long to go in shirt- sleeves and too short to shed off the overheating from gearing up.

Brian

Temp when I got to work today.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
Well they do make battery powered clothing that is used at 12 volts, which gives you the option of going over to wiring up to the bike. But if you purchase any of that 7.2 volt clothing, then you are stuck with the batteries or the nasty aspect of having to find / make an odd voltage power supply (DC/DC to boot).

Brian

Thanks Brian, that is what I have decided. The only thing I have yet to do is actually purchase anything.  ;D Yeah, having grown up in an electronics shop, I don't believe magic claims. lol
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:22 AM »
I went to a friend's house on Sunday and he asked me if I rode my bike over there or not. He thought he was making a joke but normally I would have ridden the bike but he was too close to gear up / gear off for that little distance.

The absolute worst thing about winter riding is all the perspiring that goes on during the 'getting ready' phase and the actual riding. Then the cold wind hits all the exposed, damp skin and is like an ice- pick wake up call. Then the discomfort sets in before the heated gear settles into some stable point. Nothing worse than riding at 20 F for five minutes; too long to go in shirt- sleeves and too short to shed off the overheating from gearing up.

Brian

So true, when I'm getting ready to head out, I get dressed in the garage. Cooler then the house, warmer then outside. Helps to stave off the sweating part. Added heated gloves yesterday. First piece of heated gear and worked great this morning!!  :chugbeer:

Offline PH14

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »
So true, when I'm getting ready to head out, I get dressed in the garage. Cooler then the house, warmer then outside. Helps to stave off the sweating part. Added heated gloves yesterday. First piece of heated gear and worked great this morning!!  :chugbeer:

I got good at getting ready. Around town I have no real issues and can throw on a shirt under another one and my jacket with its liner, along with my usual riding pants with normally just he rain liner. I find the quilted liner to be a bit too hot unless I'm riding far and the temps are under 30. If it is just around town I leave out the quilted liner.

I am much happier with the C14 in the cold than my old RC51. That was brutal since you got a lot more wind.

I rode yesterday to get parts for the car, and only threw the jacket with its liner on. I was fine but then again it was 32F so not too cold.

I doubt I would take the time to use heated gear for rides around town, longer rides, yes.

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »
Rode home from work today in rain/snow mix,first day with the heated gloves. Wow.....so nice!! Although yesterday was colder, today was nastier. Tomorrow taking the cage.  :'(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 03:33:57 PM »
Rode home from work today in rain/snow mix,first day with the heated gloves. Wow.....so nice!! Although yesterday was colder, today was nastier. Tomorrow taking the cage.  :'(

Lookin at the radar for your area. Looks to be cage weather for a while.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »
Lookin at the radar for your area. Looks to be cage weather for a while.

yeah, cage tomorrow, then heading outta town for thanksgiving with the family. hopfully it'll be riding weather friendly by monday. plan on laying the bike up for a month for maintenance. trying to squeeze december in before that though.  :_shudder_Emoticon