Author Topic: Great cold ride today  (Read 10587 times)

Offline PH14

Great cold ride today
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
I had to take my car to a friend in Ohio for some frame work. He lives about 2 1/2 hours from me. My wife drove the car and I took the C14. It was 30F when I left Pittsburgh and got all the way up to about 35F by the time I arrived. It was a great ride and was a beautiful morning. The ride back with my wife was warmer, but was still just in the upper 40's and maybe 50 for a short while. We took the longer way home, on Rt. 30 which was more fun than the Turnpike ride in the morning.

We had a great time. I hadn't been able to ride for a while since I have been traveling too much. I needed the ride today and enjoyed every minute of it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Great cold ride today
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
Nice!  :thumbs:

Sounds like temps are finally gonna start dropping here in the the PNW, tomorrow supposed to be mid 30's and dry for the morning commute, about time I get to start plugging in the Gerbings!  :thumbs: :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
Excellent! Last Saturday stared out at 6:30 and 23 degrees. Lots of layers, heated grips and gloves and I was good to go. Turned out to be an awesome day and 200 miles of riding. Rode about 1 hour, leisurely hour and a half breakfast and by that time low 40's. By the time I got home it was in the 50's. LOVE those kind of mornings!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
I have no heated clothing at the moment but I was warm. I used my AVG Telluride pants with the rain liner and quilted liner, along with a Joe Rocket Atomic jacket and its quilted liner, with Under Armour as a base layer and two thin shirts. I have a fleece neck cover I used as well. I had thin silk socks under wool socks.

I do want to get some heated gloves and maybe a vest or full liner at some point though, I just keep putting off ordering any.

It was nice seeing all the frost on the fields around me. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:13 AM »
I couldn't live without my heated gear.  Best investment I ever made.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 07:53:05 AM »

As I get older I'm finding my circulation isn't what it used to be. I just got some battery powered gloves and I likey. Now I'm really thinking about getting the whole 12V enchilada down to the socks.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »

+1...  :goodpost:   Year round summer warmth with my Gerbings! :thumbs:

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
I will be getting some at some point. Thankfully I have learned to keep warm without them. I have quality gear to layer with that I got for other activities. I usually ride all Winter in Pittsburgh. The gloves would be a nice addition as well as a jacket liner and possibly insoles. I always seem to have other things I need to spend my money on unfortunately. MotorcycleGear.com has some deals going on Tourmaster Synergy gloves at the moment and I have almost ordered. I just keep putting it off. I usually do this all Winter, then when it is almost over I figure I will just wait for next year.

I almost bought the Gerbing battery powered gloves because I think they would be nicer around town than having to plug in. Motorcyclegear.com has some by Mobile Warming that have a battery life of ten hours. I don't believe they can be plugged in like the Gerbings though.

I'll order some heated gear as soon as my wife stops needing my money.  ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 01:01:54 PM »

I'll order some heated gear as soon as my wife stops needing my money.  ;D

Just do what I do PH, tell her sorry honey there's no money for you to spend right now, I already spent it, sorry...  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 01:44:24 PM »

Right on. I even used mine on the KLR.  Florida boy had a tough time once I got to Albuquerque/Flagstaff and such where temps were low 30's!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »

Just do what I do PH, tell her sorry honey there's no money for you to spend right now, I already spent it, sorry...  ;D

I have to say she is very supportive of my habits. I said the other day I wanted to buy another gun, she said go buy it. I had no intention of spending money like that, and I didn't but she would have been okay with it.

We have had a lot of big expenses in the past couple of years. I moved her here from Thailand so we had the visa process and green card to pay for, along with my airfare and hers, then the wedding, then I had to buy her Winter clothing.  It is all tapering off but between general living expenses and all that I have been watching what I buy.

Currently the car is getting a lot of work done since I'm keeping it instead of replacing it. It had a rusty k-frame so I took it to a buddy who rebuilt it. While he had everything apart I had him replace the lower controls arms and bushings, my transmission cooler, belts, timing belt and transmission fluid. Thankfully his price for all that is around what I would have paid for just the timing belt replacement. A little more, but not much. I just wanted everything done before Winter.

Of course since this is currently our only car, I can justify the heated gear since I will be riding the bike more so she can have the car. I'll just say, "Hey, all this gear is cheaper than a second car.  ;D "Oh, and I bought  Ural with a sidecar for the Winter too dear."

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »
Now, on a serious note, I have considered the textile heated glove but wonder if anyone has any experience with them. Are they as warm as the leather ones? I was wondering if the blocked the wind as well.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »
27 degrees when I left the house. Another gorgeous day in the PNW.  :thumbs:

Recycled picture, but it was just as nice this morning.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
I run 210 miles last Friday night (or Saturday morning) from New Haven Ct. to Wells Me. The temps went from the mid 20s to the mid 40s. It was about four hours.
It wasn't as bad as two weeks ago on my way to Boston. A chance of a snow shower and it was a soaking wet snow for about 80 miles and I didn't even pack the rain gear.
I am back in New Haven this week, but didn't like the forecart for the Friday night commute home. Freezing mix. I really hate having to stay out of town without a bike. At least the Passat has been getting almost 50 mpg.
Joel from Maine.

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 09:23:57 AM »
27 degrees when I left the house. Another gorgeous day in the PNW.  :thumbs:

Recycled picture, but it was just as nice this morning.

I love days like that.

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
I run 210 miles last Friday night (or Saturday morning) from New Haven Ct. to Wells Me. The temps went from the mid 20s to the mid 40s. It was about four hours.
It wasn't as bad as two weeks ago on my way to Boston. A chance of a snow shower and it was a soaking wet snow for about 80 miles and I didn't even pack the rain gear.
I am back in New Haven this week, but didn't like the forecart for the Friday night commute home. Freezing mix. I really hate having to stay out of town without a bike. At least the Passat has been getting almost 50 mpg.

Nice. I assume the Passat is a TDi.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
For what it is worth, I would not buy any type of battery- only heated gear. I would suggest if you want to try heated gear, do so with gear that actually runs on 12 volts so you can tap into the bike if you choose to later. The problem is that batteries just do not provide much energy and stretching it out over longer periods of time just makes the amount delivered smaller. If at all possible, look at the wattage rating on each piece of heated clothing; there is just no way around physics and anyone claiming that there is is.... well, fibbing. So while Gerbing gloves draw 27 watts, I believe you will find the batter powered ones to be much less and will not compete no matter what 'magic' any manufacturer claims.

My favorite physics 'fib' is the one where light manufacturers or retailers list a particular lamp at, for example: 65 watts, equivalent wattage 85 watts. Implying they can make 65 watts of energy perform as 85 watts would and that is just not possible.

Brian

<snip>

I almost bought the Gerbing battery powered gloves because I think they would be nicer around town than having to plug in. Motorcyclegear.com has some by Mobile Warming that have a battery life of ten hours. I don't believe they can be plugged in like the Gerbings though.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
For what it is worth, I would not buy any type of battery- only heated gear. I would suggest if you want to try heated gear, do so with gear that actually runs on 12 volts so you can tap into the bike if you choose to later. The problem is that batteries just do not provide much energy and stretching it out over longer periods of time just makes the amount delivered smaller. If at all possible, look at the wattage rating on each piece of heated clothing; there is just no way around physics and anyone claiming that there is is.... well, fibbing. So while Gerbing gloves draw 27 watts, I believe you will find the batter powered ones to be much less and will not compete no matter what 'magic' any manufacturer claims.

My favorite physics 'fib' is the one where light manufacturers or retailers list a particular lamp at, for example: 65 watts, equivalent wattage 85 watts. Implying they can make 65 watts of energy perform as 85 watts would and that is just not possible.

Brian

Thanks Brian, that is what I have decided. The only thing I have yet to do is actually purchase anything.  ;D Yeah, having grown up in an electronics shop, I don't believe magic claims. lol

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »
Nice. I assume the Passat is a TDi.
Yes TDI. I love it.
Joel from Maine.