Author Topic: Howdy Y'all  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Ninjabne

Howdy Y'all
« on: June 08, 2019, 04:33:43 PM »
Name is Ben..new to the Concours..but been riding 42+ yrs on street legal machines...Dirt bikes and mini bikes way before that..I'm 66 yrs young... I love being vertically challeneged as they say. Am retired from Deaf Education and a background in Electronics.
The first street bike I learned to ride in Tucson AZ when i was in college there.. It was a mid 1970s Yamaha XS650 that had been turned into a chopper..extended forks..high sissy bar attatched to a king/queen seat..650ccs was considered big back in 1975.. This bike had a trigger clutch.. It had No Friction Point!!! Give it alot of gas and let out the clutch and hold on...if you did it right it was like being launched out of a cannon..That was not an easy intorduction to street bikes...but i got the hang of it and here i am...With the exception of 2 Honda ST1100s and a Suzuki Bandit 1250..everything else has been Yamaha..
I have seen many of the C10s' along my routes and travels over the years..i always dismissed them..Too big..too ugly..too heavy or bulky..
Even my awareness and knowledge of the C14 Connie was limited...As was my exposure. hence again the same preconcieved notions..
Fast forward to this past Monday...
A good friend has owned his 2008 C14 for a few months..and he wanted me to take it out for myself...I did and I was amazed at how well it rode and handled and just felt to pilot on some local backroad routes..Wow so here i am..i want one ..I'm between bikes  as i wrecked my 2007 Bandit 1250 last Oct...so its been 8 months since I have ridden..but Thanks to my good buddy I had an awesome eyeopener for a ride...I have to be honest though..I love Yamahas and so it has come down to either a C14 Concours or a Gen1or2 FJR1300..Cant afford a brand new model..I am retired...Take care and y'all keep the rubber side down... ;D
Dont speak..Unless you can improve upon the silence...

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Howdy Y'all
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 06:35:25 AM »
WElcome Ben! I am 66 and retired like you. I have been a C14 rider for almost 12 years and about 240,000 miles (2 08s and an 09) Have owned various sport, ds and adv bikes but none have the combination of handling and power of the C14. I rode FJR when they first came out, close to the c14 but not quite there.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Ninjabne

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
WElcome Ben! I am 66 and retired like you. I have been a C14 rider for almost 12 years and about 240,000 miles (2 08s and an 09) Have owned various sport, ds and adv bikes but none have the combination of handling and power of the C14. I rode FJR when they first came out, close to the c14 but not quite there.
Thankyou..I am finding a few 2008s within $4000..and that is right where i'd like to be...once i have the money in hand which I dont as of yet...So in the meantime i am here to read ..ask questions and learn as much as i can prior to buying ..So that we have a good experience based upon full knowledge. So we have some time before I make my purchase..and i suspect that prices will be coming down as we move forward...;)
Dont speak..Unless you can improve upon the silence...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 01:44:12 PM »
The Kawi is the better bike, and more power. 8)
That seals the deal for me, but I'm die hard Team Green.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
My husband has both a series one and two FJR. I let him ride my recently upspecced GTR/C14 and 5 days later we were roadtripping across the country to get him one.
He isn't particularly short in the legs, but somehow finds the heavier GTR easier to stand up than the FJR.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000