Author Topic: Screw near the side of my 3 week old tire... possible to plug?  (Read 6653 times)

Offline kzz1king

Re: Screw near the side of my 3 week old tire... possible to plug?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »
What is the optimal drill bit diameter for there sticky things? ;)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »
I don't need no stinkin bonding glue...  Real men do it with just the gummy rope.

Seriously, I've never coated it with glue and they've all held admirably.  They also keep away pink elephants.  Never seen one while using the gummy ropes and no glue.

I always found a little lube aided insertion in small holes where excess reaming might be counter productive.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
all the worms are typical, brown, black, red, (sold under "monkey grip/Slime/other" generic company kits) and they all are coated in a compatible rubber, which does completely melt and bond them all, to the tire rubber, when the cement is applied LIBERALLY.. and I mean "slathered" on the rope...

my normal progression, is to first, attach my air pump, and begin airing up the flattened tire while I prepare the rope plug, with all the stuff sitting there on the ground on a rag... I fully coat the "rasp" with glue, and insert it, and push/pull 2 or 3 times, then do not withdraw it, while it's goobered with glue, it is sealing...then I squirt the cement on the worm, goober it up good, if it' a small nail hole (like a brad/or 8 penny nail) I make sure the "excess" inside the tire is "short", like 1/2" long, as a doubled up rope (bent in the middle) is a bit excessive for a "small" hole, or even a normal drywall screw... then I pull the rasp out, jam the plugger tool and plug in, twist and withdraw the tool.... it's sealed baby...
if the hole is larger, like a 16 penny spike, or something about 1/8' diameter(that pierced the tire), I'll do the doubled over full worm, with both ends ending up outside the tire tread..

like I noted, I ran a 1/8" drill bit into the tet tire, so a lot of rubber was actually removed, not just displaced like in a "puncture" scenario.

I've installed plugs in various car tires, at work and on the road for people, that jammed a dry plug in, and expected it to work... all I could say to them ALL, was "can't you read directions on the kit?????"
can't fix those people... they made velcro tennis shoes especially for them... 
once you open the tube of glue, might a well toss it out on your way home, when you buy replacement plugs and a fresh tube of glue, and never open them till needed.. I buy Monkey Grip tire cement in 6 oz cans, and keep them sealed.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 08:03:18 AM »
I've found two sizes of the sticky rope and I prefer the smaller diameter for fixing normal punctures in any tire.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »
I did not know that. I get whatever size Walmart has and struggle to get them in car tires sometimes. I often take a drill and open the hole up a little. I will try some of the methods MOB listed unless I am fortunate.
Wayne

I've found two sizes of the sticky rope and I prefer the smaller diameter for fixing normal punctures in any tire.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 06:17:37 PM »
all the worms are typical, brown, black, red, (sold under "monkey grip/Slime/other" generic company kits) and they all are coated in a compatible rubber, which does completely melt and bond them all, to the tire rubber, when the cement is applied LIBERALLY.. and I mean "slathered" on the rope...

Thanks for the answer.

....... that jammed a dry plug in, and expected it to work... all I could say to them ALL, was "can't you read directions on the kit?????"
can't fix those people... they made velcro tennis shoes especially for them... 

Well MOB, in defense of those poor velcro shoe wearin' folks, I have seen plenty of plug kits sold without the glue and many even without a reamer/rasp, so there is that. I do agree with you though about the use of glue. I wish I was strong enough to get the plug in with just one quick out and in plunge with the rasp out and the plug in, but it usually involves some escaping air and escaping air flung flying glue. I must be getting enough in there however, because they all seem to hold air and last.

I've never seen two sizes, of course I've never looked for the plugs at a truck stop, I imagine they'd have some larger ones available?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always found a little lube aided insertion in small holes where excess reaming might be counter productive.

Pinkie, I often think that some of your best efforts just sail overhead and don't get acknowledged.... Or....are they so low in the gutter that folks just step over 'em and ignore you?   :rotflmao:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 05:01:43 PM »
 ;D I get the same reaction at home.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 07:22:06 AM »
 :)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:32 PM »
Thanks for the answer.

Well MOB, in defense of those poor velcro shoe wearin' folks, I have seen plenty of plug kits sold without the glue and many even without a reamer/rasp, so there is that. I do agree with you though about the use of glue. I wish I was strong enough to get the plug in with just one quick out and in plunge with the rasp out and the plug in, but it usually involves some escaping air and escaping air flung flying glue. I must be getting enough in there however, because they all seem to hold air and last.

I've never seen two sizes, of course I've never looked for the plugs at a truck stop, I imagine they'd have some larger ones available?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pinkie, I often think that some of your best efforts just sail overhead and don't get acknowledged.... Or....are they so low in the gutter that folks just step over 'em and ignore you?   :rotflmao:

in defense of the "kit" you note, without glue, reamer/rasp/insert er... those are just PLUGS... they sell them seperatly... because people that use them, just want plug's and glue... they have the tools.. why add on another $5 when plugs just cost $2.50.. duh.

a for "small hole" plugs... I've simply laid the plug on the ground(on a rag), and stuck my pocket knife in the middle of the long rope, and slit it lengthwise...between the strands.. viola... skinny rope gummy plug.. goober it, and install it.. done...

if people have not used them, or used them incorrectly, I can't change their minds.. but if you are riding with me, and have a puncture, I'll let you decide if I fix it and we are riding again in 10 minutes... or do I say "adios,Muchacha.. I'll call a tow for you, next town I stop in,,"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 06:26:52 AM »
if people have not used them, or used them incorrectly, I can't change their minds

I carry a full kit with me on the bike, it is in the main bag.  It is really, really old and falling apart (the cardboard/bubble thing).  Looked at it yesterday- a reamer, an inserter, 5 ropes, and glue.  Can't read the directions anymore (from wear).  The sealed glue tube is still soft.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »

a for "small hole" plugs... I've simply laid the plug on the ground(on a rag), and stuck my pocket knife in the middle of the long rope, and slit it lengthwise...between the strands.. viola... skinny rope gummy plug.. goober it, and install it.. done...

I like that idea! I have a smaller insert tool (easy boys) that I could use with those.Thanks
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »
in defense of the "kit" you note, without glue, reamer/rasp/insert er... those are just PLUGS... they sell them seperatly... because people that use them, just want plug's and glue... they have the tools.. why add on another $5 when plugs just cost $2.50.. duh.

I was referring to the kits with the either the T handle insert tool or the screwdriver handle insert tool and ropes (without glue and without rasp) not simply a sticky rope "refill" just plugs package. OH  nevermind...I'm sorry I brought it up. Duh..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 03:48:37 PM »
I was referring to the kits with the either the T handle insert tool or the screwdriver handle insert tool and ropes (without glue and without rasp) not simply a sticky rope "refill" just plugs package. OH  nevermind...I'm sorry I brought it up. Duh..

I apologize Marty, I didn't mean you had Velcro shoes....
and I have seen the kit you mention, but commonly I see the full kits, extra spares of glue, and plugs, and other stuff all "racked together"...

The person I directed to about velcro shoes (because he actually WAS wearing some) was the father of an office girl, where I worked, the girl seemed to be in distress in the parking lot, so I rode over on my bike as I was leaving, and asked if she needed "help"... she hit a broken pallet on the road, and punctured both tires on the passenger side of her new Mustang..
Just then, dad showed up, pulled out a "home made Air Tank" (20# old propane bottle), and a plug kit... (full kit like mine) proceded to jamb dry plug in a tire, then emptied the tank trying to fill the tire (nowhere near enough air in tank to start...)  then poured some water over the plug, and it was bubblin' out air...

he had the glue sitting right there... he insisted "you don't have to use the glue... I never do".. then he stomped on the glue tube in defiance... in his velcro sneakers... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nuts: :nuts: :doh:

I opened my side bag, pulled out my pump and handed the girl the plug for the lighter, and while she was doing that, prepped a plug, and inserted it with glue... and did the front tire also... in like 5 minutes flat... dad walked around picking up gravel on his freshly glued shoe...
She was very happy, and wanted to pay me.. I just handed her the "backing card" from the "kit" and told her to stop at the Autozone, pick up a kit just like that, and put it in her trunk, and pick up the "spare plug/glue" refill kit for me...

Next day, she brought over the "kit" I asked for, and 2 dozen KrispyKreem donuts... wooo hooo..... :P :P :P :P

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 08:35:54 PM »
I don't use the glue on my sticky ropes. I think I tried once and there were issues with it staying in place when I aired up the tire. It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly the issue. Regardless, it takes some pressure to get them in place, but I am a dry inserter!

I'm proud to be the seemingly current record holder with the number of plugs in one tire! I'll wait by the mailbox for my prize ;D

As for the difference in color of sticky rope, I've never even looked. I have used black, brown, and red. They all seem the same to me. Now I'm curious...
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2019, 07:37:48 PM »
Got a nail some where in California in my rear tire and the bike shops and tire stores in Sacramento wouldn't patch it.  Went to a used tire store and 5 minutes and $5 later it had rope plug in and aired up.  Rode back to Texas the next two days worried about having issues.  When I got back home I replaced the tire and tried to pull the plug out with pliers from the inside and couldn't do it, plug wasn't going anywhere.  I have no issues with rope plugs.           
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
I'm going to be 'that guy'...I'm almost 45 and have been plugging tires since I was a teenager. Not once have I ever had a plug fail or had a tire issue related to a plug install.  I have also had nail/screws in close proximity to the sidewall, but as has been said, if it's in the tread, go for it. Just like anything else in life, with plugs, you need to use common sense and prep/install properly. My last PR4GT rear had nearly 15k miles on it and 5 plugs. Yep, 5. Two of which were there since the first month it was installed. A job I just recently left was in close proximity to a recycle scrap yard. It was very common to see people pulled over with flat tires within a mile or so of that place.

Glad to hear.  I recently plugged my rear PR4GT which has maybe 4k miles left, so now I have the confidence to just keep it until it's worn out.

Offline STC14JIM

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2019, 08:07:20 AM »
I'm going to be 'that guy'...I'm almost 45 and have been plugging tires since I was a teenager. Not once hav.  e I ever had a plug fail or had a tire issue related to a plug install.  I have also had nail/screws in close proximity to the sidewall, but as has been said, if it's in the tread, go for it. Just like anything else in life, with plugs, you need to use common sense and prep/install properly. My last PR4GT rear had nearly 15k miles on it and 5 plugs. Yep, 5. Two of which were there since the first month it was installed. A job I just recently left was in close proximity to a recycle scrap yard. It was very common to see people pulled over with flat tires within a mile or so of that place.

Please tell us your technique for plugging tires - solid plug, gummy worms, how much do you ream the hole, how much glue, etc , etc.

OK, So I went on line and watched some YouTube videos on tire plugging.   Some used glue and some didn't, BTW.  I think I will use glue - why not ?  Also watched one where the plug/patch was inserted from inside.   That looks like the best way for a "permanent" repair, although some guy by the name of Arie said he plugged a tire with a worm and then rode across the country without a problem.  And others said their worm plugs lasted until the tire wore out and was replaced.   I think I'll check the glue in my patch kits in both my bikes, soon.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:53:40 AM by STC14JIM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »
OK, So I went on line and watched some YouTube videos on tire plugging.   Some used glue and some didn't, BTW.  I think I will use glue - why not ?

If I were, I would, too

Also watched one where the plug/patch was inserted from inside.   That looks like the best way for a "permanent" repair

That is a patch, not a plug.  And, applied correctly, it is, indeed, permanent and the "best" way.  Of course, it is a LOT more work- it requires removing the wheel, then the tire, cleaning it, roughing it, glue and patch, then remounting tire, rebalancing the wheel, and remounting the wheel.  Whew.

, although some guy by the name of Arie said he plugged a tire with a worm and then rode across the country without a problem.  And others said their worm plugs lasted until the tire wore out and was replaced.

Many people have posted that a properly applied and glued plug will last the life of the tire.  I don't doubt it, although it is still not as certain as a patch.

I think I'll check the glue in my patch [plug?] kits in both my bikes, soon.

My many, many-year-old, never-used/opened plug kit has glue that might be solid as a rock :)  I think I pressed on it several months ago and it was squishy.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »
I rode a plugged rear tyre halfway round Australia, and at speeds of over 200 kilometres an hour. It was only a few weeks old when it was plugged, but it lasted the full life of the tyre. If the worm is applied properly (we use glue) it should never give any trouble.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2019, 06:14:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Michelle. What are you riding?