Author Topic: Warped Rotors on a new bike!!!  (Read 8077 times)

Offline Scaffolder

Re: Warped Rotors on a new bike!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 07:57:10 AM »
Hi guys!  New guys here, just outside Detroit, MI--the Motor City.

I was a volunteer motor officer (motorcycle cop) for the 2007-2012 seasons, and it's standard practice for us to ride hours without ever putting a right foot down--you put your left foot down at lights, because the right is standing on your brake.  (You also are never in neutral while riding--ever--in case you need to get outta the way fast!)  Holding the brake leaves your lights on, and prevents rolling around. 

My point is,... I'm riding my '12 Kawi now like I rode my Harley, left-down at lights/right on brake, and after 400 miles on this new bike, I now have a rear brake squeak, and the pulsing other folks are describing while braking.  I also believe the brakes are very 'grabby' at a certain point after initially not providing much force at all, like they suddenly jump in force, but... that's another story.

Did they seriously do such a poor job picking discs for this bike that they're wearing out/warping this fast?  I mean, if you can warp a rotor just sitting at a light because 'that part of the rotor isn't cooling as fast,'... someone FAILED, miserably.

Anyway,... consider my '12 possibly afflicted too.  There's not much else to complain about, but that's certainly one thing.

PMC

This sounds exactly like my bike. I like to hold my right foot on the brake lever, but since I've owned the linked brakes models, I've been trying to adapt different techniques so I don't make K-ACT mad. Or K-TRAC.

I love these bikes and this is still the only problem I have with them. I sure do hope I don't have to get 3 sets of rotors to each set of tires. It will really limit the miles I get to put on this year.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »
I don't think so.  You'd have to ride outside of your subdivision in order to fully test those pads... :P

Oh I ran it real hard yesterday you smart arse....... but 262 miles of barely getting on the brakes, cause I know how to gear down before the nasty twisty bits instead of using the brakes.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »
 :D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline liquiddeputy

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
Hi all/Conrad!  Thanks for the warm welcome.
Strange... I just took a ~20 mile ride for gas and lunch, and didn't particularly notice any brake issues this time. :-\

"volunteer motor officer"? As in you did this without being paid?

Temporary Thread Departure:  Yup, lots of our local departments in the area run reserves/auxiliary officers.  Sheriffs in Michigan--from way back in the day--have always been allowed to deputize willing and able folks.  Since most here also go the extra mile to TRAIN, and realize the benefit of extra help for special events (and yes, it's free), we have some really great teams.  I was a marine officer (on the lake) from 2000 to '07, but once I did motor in '07, I never looked back.  I just switched departments this year, sold the Harley (which I paid for, and used) and now I'm happily on a better bike while driving another department's patrol cars :)  Everyone wins :)

Being a former motor officer, though, my choices for "next bikes" was extremely limited... and mine's coming along nicely, brake complaints or not :)

2012, black; Vic Ray extended/dropped passenger pegs; MCLarry's risers; MC Enterprises full bars; Givi E55NT; SW MOTECH rack & hardware; Admore lighting; still need a pipe...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
Temporary Thread Departure:

Ooooh, we love that :)  I will help

Yup, lots of our local departments in the area run reserves/auxiliary officers.  Sheriffs in Michigan--from way back in the day--have always been allowed to deputize willing and able folks.

In Virginia a sheriff is just an officer for the court- they only manage the jail and courtroom security, and serve summons/warrants and such :)  They have nothing to do with the police, tickets, law enforcement, etc.  Of course, we also don't place our cities inside counties either.... plus we are not even a state (we are a "Commonwealth")!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 04:29:33 AM »
Wrongo, my friend.  That may be in your locality but for the vast majority of counties in VA they serve summons/warrants and such, issue citations, provide law enforcement, and pull drunks off the road just like any other LEO would do.  My nephew is a deputy in Mecklenburg county and does all of these things.   

However, in the city of Fredericksburg they function similarly to what you state.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 05:31:47 AM »
Wrongo, my friend.  That may be in your locality but for the vast majority of counties in VA they serve summons/warrants and such, issue citations, provide law enforcement, and pull drunks off the road just like any other LEO would do.  My nephew is a deputy in Mecklenburg county and does all of these things.   

However, in the city of Fredericksburg they function similarly to what you state.

Well, it has been that place everywhere I have been (lived/worked/frequented/noticed) so far (Richmond, Chesterfield, Henrico, Newport News, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Alexandria, Williamsburg, Charlottesville, etc).  Mostly cities though.  Granted, that leaves a LOT of other territory- especially west.   Guess I am guilty of the dreaded "ass u me"!!!!  Send the Police- I mean the Sheriff!!  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 05:52:40 AM »
Go west, young man, go west, or north for that matter....

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 06:16:02 AM »
If I have to stop in the situation as I described above I've always made it a habit, on the bike or in the cage, to make sure that I have a lil room between me and the car in front of me so that I can release the brakes and roll a bit so that the hot spots under the pads can cool like the rest of the rotors.
I started doing this also when I first heard of the rotor issue, probably back in late 07 or early 08. 100,000 miles and no brake problems.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 07:34:04 AM »
I have 12,500 on my '08 ( just bought it last year with only 2,000 mi. on it) and haven't had any issues with the stock front brakes other than a squeak that has recently started just before stopping. I do engine brake a lot so maybe that is the difference. That may shorten tire life, but it also needs less braking pressure.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 07:45:08 AM »
> 73,000 on my '10, no warpage but worn THIN AS ALL  :censored:

I'm hard on brakes  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
> 73,000 on my '10, no warpage but worn THIN AS ALL  :censored:

I'm hard on brakes  :D
Not that hard!! Mine only lasted 40000 miles ;D ;D

I do wonder as to why some never warp, yet a few last without issue??  It appears to be luck of the draw and I am surprised that the Gen 2s are exhibiting the same issues.  With the carrier change and pad composite change you would think things would be fixed, but apparently not.  I'm still happy with the EBC rotors and pads.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
My 2011 really blows my mind. Just because it is so new. I'll change brand of rotors and pads, but Kawasaki should be paying for it.
I am still hoping to find someone in the forum that rides a law enforcement C-14 to see if they Know what the fix was for.
Joel from Maine.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
You and me both!  In fact, I'll buy dinner for the one that comes through with it...Seriously....don't read the fine print, though. ;)

Caveat....dinner is at McDonald's using the value menu...