Author Topic: Anyone used an oil additive to stop an oil pan leak?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline KretonsLC

Anyone used an oil additive to stop an oil pan leak?
« on: July 16, 2019, 07:21:19 AM »
My '12 Connie developed a small oil leak on a recent tour and I've determined it's coming from the oil pan.  I've read about products like Lucas Oil and Blue Devil oil additives being effective for small leaks, but haven't found much about them being used in bikes like ours.

Does anyone have any experience with these products?

Offline kzz1king

Re: Anyone used an oil additive to stop an oil pan leak?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 11:48:04 AM »
You sure it's not valve cover or cam sensor O ring? I wouldn't count  on any additive.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
You sure it's not valve cover or cam sensor O ring? I wouldn't count  on any additive.

The valve cover, cam sensor area, and whole upper part of the engine are dry as a bone.  It's definitely the oil pan.  It developed while on a tour and that's where a service guy said it was leaking from.  When I got home I cleaned everything up and have been monitoring where the oil is coming from and have confirmed what the service guy said.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
Saw the question asked on the other forum also..

simply NEVER ADD ANYTHING IN THE CRANKCASE, THAT IS NOT PURE OIL....
you will ruin your clutch.

find, and fix the leak, there is no "band-aide"..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 03:07:45 PM »
I am no mechanic, but I would agree with MOB- oil additives might or might not work but can cause more problems than they seek to solve, especially on a motorcycle (and especially on a modern one like ours).  I would avoid additives and try to fix the leak the right way.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 03:49:16 PM »
Saw the question asked on the other forum also..

simply NEVER ADD ANYTHING IN THE CRANKCASE, THAT IS NOT PURE OIL....
you will ruin your clutch.

find, and fix the leak, there is no "band-aide"..

What he said....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »
Perhaps you changed your oil before this tour. Different oils have different additives such as seal swellers and conditioners already. Maybe you changed to something with less additives and that caused the leak.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 11:18:51 PM »
My '12 Connie developed a small oil leak on a recent tour and I've determined it's coming from the oil pan.  I've read about products like Lucas Oil and Blue Devil oil additives being effective for small leaks, but haven't found much about them being used in bikes like ours.

Does anyone have any experience with these products?
I wouldn't even ride the bike until that is fixed- you and Connie will be really sad when any oil hits the rear tire.

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 07:10:36 AM »
Perhaps you changed your oil before this tour. Different oils have different additives such as seal swellers and conditioners already. Maybe you changed to something with less additives and that caused the leak.

I've thought about that.  The dealer actually changed the oil when I had them check the valve clearances a few weeks before the tour, even though I didn't request they do so.  Even though I wasn't charged for it (on the invoice anyway), I doubt they used the Motorex Top Speed 4T that I use. 

I just changed it yesterday using the Motorex, so will see if that helps.