Author Topic: C10 EFI Project  (Read 18283 times)

Offline sport rider

Re: C10 EFI Project
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2020, 07:30:56 AM »
you might consider converting the triples to a standard bar riser where you could use an aftermarket set of bars.  you have a much wider selection of rise and pull-back to make yourself more comfortable.

gpineau

« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »
you might consider converting the triples to a standard bar riser where you could use an aftermarket set of bars.  you have a much wider selection of rise and pull-back to make yourself more comfortable.

where I have the bar now has stretched the brake line to the max. Any higher bar or moving toward the rider is going to require a longer brake line or relocating the hydraulic  manifold on the forks.  More surgery! 

And those risers are not cheap. I'll go to the salvage  yard this weekend and see what I can find.

I have limited time now. My wife has drafted me for a summer project.  Finish the basement!

Offline sport rider

« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2020, 02:41:13 PM »
ordering longer brake lines is simple.  the part that's problematic is the enrichment cable.  oh wait....you don't have that now, right?  new brake lines and new clutch line.  easy....

gpineau

« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2020, 03:49:51 PM »
I hope this is the last hundred buck I have to spend on this project.
I have new bars and pullback raisers on the way. 
I can steal the hydraulic lines off my junk magna. 

gpineau

« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2020, 03:31:56 PM »
My pull back risers finally arrived yesterday. (3 weeks)  I will never purchase from that outfit again.
I had to replace the brake and clutch hydraulic lines because the stock ones are too short.
Drilled new holes in the tripple tree to mount the risers.
Had to reroute a couple of harnesses to make them reach the new position of the handles.
In all it took a couple hours.
I took it for a short ride and it made a world of difference. I can sit up erect now. No more hunched over.

gpineau

« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2020, 09:44:32 AM »
Feels like a completely different bike. It handles like my Magna.
Some before and after photos. Look at the angle of my back.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2020, 07:10:19 AM »
Looks more comfortable for you.
Well done.

I've lost track on the project.
Is it tuned and running correctly now?

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2020, 05:50:34 PM »
Yes, I went out for an hour today and it is running great. Got home, drank a beer and went out again. I love the way it handles now.  I just need to fix the turn signals.

I need to delete some of my bikes.  I think I will keep this one since I have so much invested in it.   My V-star I will keep forever. That leaves the Magna and my other Connie. 

I'm selling the magna to the salvage yard.
 I'm  putting the other Connie (the one with full dress cowling) on craigslist.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »
before you "delete' your other bikes, ride this one on an extended trip, i.e. at least 500 miles, or 2 full tanks of fuel.. not being a party pooper, just giving some sage advice.  stuff happens "on the road", and if it's not stock/easily and easily fixed.... well, bad times and pain are not fun.    but glad you found and made this bike "what you wanted" so far..
When I mounted any of  my bikes, I never even thought "will it get me home, no matter where I go".. I can't say I'd be comfortable with that, in the back of my mind... we all like to experiment, but in the end, reliability and coming home, means a lot.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :hail: :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

gpineau

« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »
Been doing a lot of work finishing my basement so have not had any time to do serious riding until last week.
I have found that at low to medium throttle this bike is full of power and acceleration but if I go to wide open throttle it will bog down and and want to stall until I back off the throttle slightly, Then it takes off like a rocket.
took a lot of data logs and finally can see in the logs what is happening. The MAP pressure has maxed out while the throttle position is still rising. In fact the MAP pressure maxes out at before 50%throttle.

I am using the speed density method of fuel control which relies on MAP being somewhat linear from idle to WOT and that is mostly the case on single throttle bodies feeding a plenum.  But I have individual throttle bodies and there is not shared plenum to buffer the vacuum.

So I will be switching to alpha-n fuel control which uses the throttle position to determine the engine load and will give me higher resolution on fueling. This should fix the problem at wide open throttle.

You can see in the photo that MAP pressure has maxed out while the throttle is still rising.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2020, 04:26:08 PM »
Very interesting project, I appreciate inventiveness and DIY tech.  8). I've only read the first two pages plus this.  Do you plan on selling kits or releasing instructions to replicate your completed project?  Updating older designs with high efficiency engine management that pushes classics up into the performance realm of late models has been successfully done for autos, I like the prospects.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2020, 05:01:06 PM »
But I have individual throttle bodies and there is not shared plenum to buffer the vacuum.
Have you thought about taking the signal from a vacuum chamber (plastic bottle) connected to the four manifold boot ports?

gpineau

« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2020, 05:53:50 PM »
I have a vacuum canister already and it does slow down the rise in MAP to a degree but not enough.  And even with it,  MAP will reach max (atmosphere ) before the throttle reaches 50%.

For instance if I am  cruising  gingerly at half throttle and in 3rd gear. MAP will  rise to near max even with TPS at 50%. Now if I suddenly want to go WOT and beat the streetlight that just turned yellow....I will get a little burst of fuel due to accelerator enrichment then it will bog down.  I could make the top of fuel table the much richer to compensate but then it would be too rich while cruising at a lower throttle. There is just not enough range in MAP and it is not linear.

I found a your tube video that does a real good job explaining it(better than me)

https://youtu.be/9XvXfX3QhlU

I've already made the changes to the fueling scheme and re-scaled the tuning tables. Problem is, I cant test it right away. Last trip out I was sitting at a stop sign waiting for a gap in traffic when the lower radiator hose decided to explode.  Replacement hoses are on order but by the time they arrive I will be on to my basement project.  Dry wall arrives tomorrow ...darn.

No not planing to sell any kits. Most everything is available online. As far as instructions, every painful step is well documented in an online forum and I made a you-tube history along the way.

https://speeduino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2555&start=50

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9ZAieLe6zon1TuzB_mU4w5h5qqh5WuXQ

gpineau

« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2020, 07:24:32 PM »
MOB,
I sold one of my magnas and gave the other away to a good home.
Some day when I am not run ragged with other projects I will spruce up my other connie and get it ready to sell.
That will leave me with my V-Star and my EFI C10. 

After by lowering the frame and making a custom lower seat then  adding the pullback risers and Magna handlebar, the EFI C10 handles like a sports bike.  I thought I would miss my magna but I am liking this one better.  It's 30 years old so I hope it holds together a few more years.

gpineau

« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2020, 11:26:42 AM »
man I am pissed and very very sad.
while changing out the coolant hoses I had the tank straddle the frame sideways.
My beautiful tank got dropped on the garage floor. Full tank so it weighs about 50 pounds.
Bounced once and came to rest upside down. Luckily no punctures but the tank is seriously messed up.
A baseball size dent in the left front lobe and a crater in center near the seat.
Really sad to loose all the work I put into it.
Not sure if I should fix it , buy a new one or just live with it.

Anyone?  can dents be filled with bondo ?

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2020, 03:39:20 PM »
I've fixed a dent with Bondo but you have to hand sand down to metal then hand sand the Bondo so you'll need an afternoon and a tube of Ben Gay.
I have a clean 1979 KZ1000L tank, will check fitment if you like.
Sorry to hear of your mishap.  :(

gpineau

« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2020, 05:53:02 PM »
Thanks but I am certain it wont fit.
 I'll try my hand at pulling out these dents the best I can and see how it turns out.
I have a history with this tank. Originally I had a mirror finish polished on it but that got destroyed by rust(long story) . Then I painted it metallic carbon. Looked really nice until I got gas on the clear coat before it was cured. Then I painted it Burgundy like it is now. So I was so bummed when it hit the floor.
I found a mint 1979 tanks for $250. Not sure I want to spend another $250 on this bike.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »
Put some propane in it then throw in a match  :banana

gpineau

« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
Great idea. Have you tried that before?  How did it turn out? :cannon:

gpineau

« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »