Author Topic: Almost got hit today  (Read 2150 times)

Offline F-106

Almost got hit today
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
I went down to see Rocky the seat man this morning to set up an appointment to have my seat on the connie adjusted next month. I was merging from freeway to another when a yellow VW bug passed me. The driver sucking on her cell phone decided to make a lane change before she got all the way by me.  I closed the throttle and hit the brakes and avoided the hit. Pissed as I was just gave her the finger and I felt better. Just then a CHP cruiser went by me. He waved at me and pulled her over. I guess he saw the whole thing happen. I will be so glad when they ban cell phones in cars. I think those of us on bikes might live a bit longer. JUST HAD TO VENT!
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
Re: Almost got hit today
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:22:08 AM »
Right-o! Good reflexes!
I'm with you on the cell-phone ban. Those SOB's ought a just pull over to take the call like I do on the Connie.
But in their arrogance and ignorance they would rather risk lives to gain pleasure and convenience. >:(
'02 C-10

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »
I went down to see Rocky the seat man this morning to set up an appointment to have my seat on the connie adjusted next month. I was merging from freeway to another when a yellow VW bug passed me. The driver sucking on her cell phone decided to make a lane change before she got all the way by me.  I closed the throttle and hit the brakes and avoided the hit. Pissed as I was just gave her the finger and I felt better. Just then a CHP cruiser went by me. He waved at me and pulled her over. I guess he saw the whole thing happen. I will be so glad when they ban cell phones in cars. I think those of us on bikes might live a bit longer. JUST HAD TO VENT!

She got pulled over eh? Sweet! So often you see a driver like this and wish that a LEO was there to witness it. It's nice to see it happen once in a while.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:28:34 AM »
Gotta love Karma!! I have to admit guilt when it comes to cell phone use, even on the bike. I have bluetooth helmet sets and the bike to bike communications and even the phone, has been a godsend. I try to avoid especially cell phone calls and keep them short, usually just status checks with the kids. Longer calls wait until I'm stopped and/or off the bike. I have noticed when I am on the phone while riding, I am extra dilligent with my scanning and situational awareness, 'cause "they" are right, it's distracting. If cell phone use is banned, I'll feel no harm and will comply as long as it's enforced equally. I have noticed there seems to be less of a distraction when talking to another rider in the group, I think it has a lot to do with them being in the same situation, for the most part, another rider is seeing and experiencing and reacting to the same stuff you are. Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack. Nice job on the near miss and it had to feel good to have that CHP pull her over!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
Good job knowing your place on the road, and avoiding the Bug.
I would have had to stop with CHP though, and ask if I could introduce myself to the girl, as the person she almost killed.
 I can only imagine the impact of that, along with a ticket and good stern talking to to get the point accross.
The worst part of the whole thing is that if it was a younger girl, like  teens or early 20's, you can bet it went in one ear and out the other. I really hope not, but you can just about figure.
Ride safe all, and please, ATGATT.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:16:49 AM »
When you are talking to others in the same riding group you are generally talking about the shared experience so you are concentrating on what is around you.

When you are talking to someone elsewhere your mind starts to picture them whereever they are and you also start picturing what you are discussing. This distracts you from the highly IMPORTANT job of riding/driving.
Some drivers/riders can keep their concentration in the here and now but most can't.
If they are having an argument on the phone, STAY WELL CLEAR as they are apt to take their frustration out on the next thing they see.

Cellphone use in a car (even handsfree) is banned here in the UK, but rarely enforced.
I used to pass 20-30 people every day who were yakking on the phone.
Jeez, if you can't possibly live without taking/making the call then pull over and do it.
Phone/text drivers are as bad as drink/drug drivers and should be penalised accordingly.
IMHO as always.  8)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
You ever see these people who can't talk without using their hands speaking on the cell and waving their free hand all over the place? Not a good thing for being on the road.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn