Author Topic: Colorado-Hwy 550  (Read 5058 times)

Offline MyConcours

Colorado-Hwy 550
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:40:43 PM »
Pic's of another great ride in Colorado.

Best regards,
Roy

Offline shokdimn

• Yeah, I'll trailer it!
Re: Colorado-Hwy 550
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »
Man!  Is that a beautiful blue sky or what?
Looks like ya had a great ride.
What did ya do with the side bags?
From a distance and without warning, relámpago!

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
Roy, These pics conjure memories of the COG National in Frisco in 2008. Best Dam (Brewery) trip I ever made (so far).  Thanks RICK!

IIRC, we rode to Durango in order to ride N up the Million Dollar Highway. It was under construction, so each lane waited awhile. When we got to go, we were @ the front of the pack for about 50 + miles....so beautiful...smooth new asphalt...gorgeous views...and NO CARS anywhere around us! (Go look @ some pics from the 2008 National for kicks)

Glad you made it out there (and back to MN) ;D

'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline MyConcours

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
Man!  Is that a beautiful blue sky or what?
Looks like ya had a great ride.
What did ya do with the side bags?

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your comments. :)

I left the bags with my daughter in Firestone (north of Denver). I wanted to travel light.
The first leg of the my journey to 550 started from Firestone at 12:45 on May 15th. Rode through Loveland & Vail Pass in the fog and mist. Temperatures were around 36-40F until I got to Glenwood Springs. Then it was 80F! Then I went south on Hwy 133 and spent the night in Delta. Got there around 7 PM.
From Delta to Durago, across 160, up 17 & 285 and spending the night in Poncha Springs. Arrived near 6:30 PM.
Left Poncha Springs around 7 AM. Going north on US 24 to Leadville it was sunny but cold. After Leadville, on 91, there was ice on the shoulders of the road so not much stopping for pic's.
Once I got to I-70 it warmed up a bit (+40F) and was still sunny. It continued to warm up all the way back to Firestone.

I hope I live long enough to do it again.

I will check out the 2008 COG pics.

Best regards,
Roy

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »
One of the most scenic rides in the world IMO. Can be sketchy this time of year though. We got snow last night.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
Roy, These pics conjure memories of the COG National in Frisco in 2008. Best Dam (Brewery) trip I ever made (so far).  Thanks RICK!

IIRC, we rode to Durango in order to ride N up the Million Dollar Highway. It was under construction, so each lane waited awhile. When we got to go, we were @ the front of the pack for about 50 + miles....so beautiful...smooth new asphalt...gorgeous views...and NO CARS anywhere around us! (Go look @ some pics from the 2008 National for kicks)

Glad you made it out there (and back to MN) ;D

That's just awesome! My wife and I rode home from Durango last Saturday. The weather was perfect, the sky a brilliant blue, and I don't know how we did it but we basically had Molas Pass and Red Mountain pass all to ourselves to ride at our own pace. The couple of cars and one semi we did catch were in areas where we simply went around them... It was unbelievable...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »

I left the bags with my daughter in Firestone (north of Denver). I wanted to travel light.
The first leg of the my journey to 550 started from Firestone at 12:45 on May 15th. Rode through Loveland & Vail Pass in the fog and mist. Temperatures were around 36-40F until I got to Glenwood Springs. Then it was 80F! Then I went south on Hwy 133 and spent the night in Delta. Got there around 7 PM.
From Delta to Durago, across 160, up 17 & 285 and spending the night in Poncha Springs. Arrived near 6:30 PM.
Left Poncha Springs around 7 AM. Going north on US 24 to Leadville it was sunny but cold. After Leadville, on 91, there was ice on the shoulders of the road so not much stopping for pic's.
Once I got to I-70 it warmed up a bit (+40F) and was still sunny. It continued to warm up all the way back to Firestone.

Nice ride... if you're ever down around Durango again, head west out 160 to Mancos.  Grab some tacos at Ted's Tacos  :thumbs:  It is worth the ride... I've done it round-trip from Brighton, just for them tacos.  :hail:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
Nice ride... if you're ever down around Durango again, head west out 160 to Mancos.  Grab some tacos at Ted's Tacos  :thumbs:  It is worth the ride... I've done it round-trip from Brighton, just for them tacos.  :hail:

That's funny... we gassed up in Mancos the morning we left and saw 'Ted's Tacos", and they were open for breakfast... I teased the wife about going in, guess we should have!
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
I think it was featured on Feasting On Asphalt I, Alton Brown show a few years back on FoodNetwork.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline slerickson

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »
During my 09 ride I stop along the road just below the water falls and looked over the edge.  My stomach started turning on me. I work constuction and have stood on steel beams 10 stories up without out decking for three floors below me and jumped out of perfectly good aircraft in the Marines and didnt have my stomach turn. I guesss I'm getting old.
In Loving Memory of My Wife
Ronda 1/27/63  7/16/08
MISS YOU BOO