Author Topic: Needs Work  (Read 2611 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Needs Work
« on: September 21, 2012, 04:03:57 AM »
First of all, I am not sure if this is the right place for this and if not I apologize and please move to the correct area.

I have had my 92 for 5 years now and I have tried to maintain it to the best of my ability.  I am at a point in my life that I just have no time anymore to work on anything right now.  Between work and a 5 and 6 year old in school and having homework and extra curricular activities, there just isn't time for much of my extra curricular activities anymore.  And I am not complaining at all because I love my kids and spending all the time I can with them and volunteering to help at the school and sports and hell even my daughter's dance school.  I am sure many of you have also been in this position. 

The second part of my situation is that I love the Concours.  I have bought and sold a Vstrom 1000, a Harley Road King, a Goldwing 1500, and I still also have a Vstar 1100 and a 74 Harley Sportster.  All in the hopes of finding a bike requiring less of my time for maintaining yet as enjoyable to ride as the Concours. Problem is that none were as comfy (except the Goldwing, but honestly it was just kind of bland to ride) or as fun or get as good as fuel mileage as my good old C-10. 

So to my point, I figured rather than waste anymore money trying to find the right bike, I would rather spend less money on my current Concours and have the same old fun reliable bike.  So my question is, is there anybody in Northern Virginia or within a couple hour drive that knows a good cheap mechanic that will do some work for me for a reasonable price compared to a dealer (if the dealers would even work on an antique like that).  Or is there anybody on this forum that has some time and wants to make some extra money.  I am not asking for a hand out.  I am willing to pay, but trying to avoid any dealer rip offs.  Below is a list of things I would like to get done. 

Fork seals leaking and need replaced.  Again.
Carbs cleaned and synched and float levels adjusted. (Could also send these to SISF).
Brake fluid flushed, changed, and bled.
Coolant system flushed. 
Fairing bracket on steering head fixed. (Fairing held in place with tie wire now).
General cleaning (not a washing really but things like the pipes cleaned up).
Relocate coolant bottle as I ride with no lower fairings.

I'm sure there is more, but my mind is blank right now.  The bike runs pretty good and I still ride it every week (trade off between the C-10 and Vstar every day to and from work).  It is just all these little things nagging at me that I don't have the time to take care of.   I can bring the bike to you and will not really rush you to have it done by any certain time.  If anyone is interested, just let me know and I will give you my phone number and we can talk and work something out. 

Thanks         

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Needs Work
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
Guy Young is down in the Richmond area. Kind of far, but he absolutely knows the C-10 inside and out as he is the former tech dude for the Concourier mag. He retired from his regular job and built a shop in his back yard to work on bikes as a "part time job".

You can't get much better than that, unless you were to bring it down to SiSF's place in Floriduh.

I'm thinking the carbbies should go to SiSF regardless. His mods, and the outstanding reputation are well earned, plus he's quite reasonable on his rates.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
Guy Young is down in the Richmond area. Kind of far, but he absolutely knows the C-10 inside and out as he is the former tech dude for the Concourier mag. He retired from his regular job and built a shop in his back yard to work on bikes as a "part time job".

You can't get much better than that, unless you were to bring it down to SiSF's place in Floriduh.

I'm thinking the carbbies should go to SiSF regardless. His mods, and the outstanding reputation are well earned, plus he's quite reasonable on his rates.

Richmond isn't to far and my brother in law lives there so I could go see him as well and kill 2 birds with one stone. I guess I can just get in touch with him through this forum right? 

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 06:30:37 AM »
I kinda doubt you will get in touch with him here...

PM coming
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »
Got it thanks

Offline Matt L

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
here's a bump for a small independent in northern virginia.  I've used Brooks cycle two or three times and always have been pleased with his work.  Great prices too.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/brooks-cycle-center-chantilly