Author Topic: Shortening the factory exhaust  (Read 15625 times)

Offline Toaster

Shortening the factory exhaust
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
Greetings
Winter has set in the the rains are here (C14 is off the road). I am bored, so I bought a used factory exhaust muffler. I want to shorten it. I do not want it to loud (the factory exhaust is to polite). Should I remove 6" or 9"?
Thanks

Son of Pappy

Re: Shortening the factory exhaust
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:28:55 AM »
I dont remember how much I took off, but it was even with the bags when I was all done, produced a nice sound, more purr then growl, but not a quiet whisper.  Sure looked better.  I want to say it was just under 6 inches, nice balanced look.  I also painted the entire can, including caps with a ceramic impregnated header paint.  Then along came the Area P full system ;D

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
I took 9 inches off and it sounds a little throatier than stock.  It has kept me happy while I waited to buy a full AreaP. 

My phone doesn't take the best videos but it is good enough that you can get an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/user/C14bagger?blend=6&ob=5#p/u/0/Je-pa65z8fM
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline curly

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »
When I done this I took 5" off mine. This matched the end of the bag perfectly. I'm back to the stocker now because I'm running a pcv. Jamie said there's probably not much diffirence in fuel/air ratio but no way to be sure without dyno time. So I just opted to go back to the potato launcher to be sure.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:08:18 AM »
I took 6 off mine and thought it was just right
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline jonathan

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:56:08 AM »
I took about 4 or 5 inches off so that now it is even with the bag of the bags. There was no noticable change in noise volume, just made it a little throatier.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:05:38 AM »
 I think i took off 4-5 inches , I was not looking for more noise and did not get any.
It was not a  hard job  .I also painted the silver bits black .That really made a difference with looks .

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
Anyone have a how-to on this?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
First step, buy a potato peeler...  ;)

Sorry, my bad, couldn't resist.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
Anyone have a how-to on this?
I'll give you the condensed version.
Remove pipe from bike at the header/cats.
Remove end cap, 3 cap screws and she slides right off.
Mark desired length, make sure to keep same profile, this is important when it comes time to weld things back together, use blue painter tape, more then you think you need.
Grind weld off of end, this is the most time consuming aspect.  Once the welds are gone pull the innards out, there will be a mesh wrapped around the inner baffles, carefully unwrap and set to the side.
Measure how much you will be removing from the out side and take an extra 1/2 inch off. 
Next, using the cutting tool of your choice (Don't rely on Kirbys teeth, Brian cancelled his dental insurance years ago) remove the excess off the outside, being carefull to follow the correct contour.  Check the fit of the baffle and can, if everything fits, cut the mesh to size, I wouldnt recomend using your wifes best scissors.  Once done wrap the mesh and do a final fit.
Weld things together.
Touch up any welds and burnt paint with some high temp header paint, I painted both end caps a gray color (NOT SILVERDAMMIT, BTW) and can to match.
Reinstall and enjoy.  The benefits really are more looks than anything, I did have a nice mellow tone, nothing harse or annoying for sure.  The cats are still in the collector, so there is still lots to slow down the gasses.

Remember, if you don't post pics, it didn't happen ;D

Offline Toaster

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »
I cut 6 inches off my stock exhaust this week. I was bored and need to do something (Rain and cold in BC).
The mod went well except when I cut the same off the inside of the muffler (the inners of the muffler) it would not go back together, because the exhaust pipe from the header protruded at least 2 inches into the muffler. So I cut another 2" of the mesh inner part. This left the muffle with no baffling. You can see straight through the exhaust. Though it was going to be to load, but it just has a nice mellow sound. I have not taken it for a run yet, but I let it warm up in the garage the reved it to 6000. Sounded great. ;D

Offline Toaster

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »
Let's try this picture

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 09:59:01 PM »
Nicely done!  My mid pipe was only about 1/2 inch into the can, when I removed the mid pipe to send off to a "Membah" I was surprised at how easy it was to remove.  No more bazooka shadows will be chasing you!!!!!!!!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 10:10:51 PM »
Why? :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »
Why? :o

Why ask why?  Shorten the bazooka since it was so ugly I could cry.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »
Why ask why?  Shorten the bazooka since it was so ugly I could cry.

All you did was shorten a HUGE turd, save up and get a purty race exhaust instead! 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 10:20:48 PM »
All you did was shorten a HUGE turd, save up and get a purty race exhaust instead! 8)

I did.  It will be installed along with the AutoTune in the next couple of days.  But the chopped stocker looked and sounded a little better than the full bazooka while I pinched my pennies to buy a full Muzzy. 

Offline jonathan

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »

Shortening was free. I have trouble spending $400 for a muffler.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »
Shortening was free. I have trouble spending $400 for a muffler.

Still looks like total ass IMHO, you just went from a big turd to a small turd. One of the biggest and ugliest exhaust cans on any bike I have ever seen.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »
Still looks like total ass IMHO, you just went from a big turd to a small turd. One of the biggest and ugliest exhaust cans on any bike I have ever seen.
A shucks, a nice small ass is preferable over a big ass anyday ;D
shake that money maker