Author Topic: Ozark Blast  (Read 2900 times)

Offline texrider

Ozark Blast
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:46:23 AM »
Just back from a two day through the southern Ozark Mountains. Everything fresh and green, even roadside flowers in bloom. Mid 70's to low 80's. Almost no car traffic the roads I ran, but lots of Oklahoma speed traps. Did not see any such in Arkansas. Second day had some clouds in the high ridges giving low visibility, so stayed in the sunny valleys and looked up at the gorgeous hillsides. Can't say I've ever had a better ride there, wish I'd stayed longer. Bike was flawless in the 700 miles, and sporting a new pair of tires. Highly recommended area to ride!  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Jim __

Re: Ozark Blast
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:45:25 PM »
Sounds awesome.  I'm planning a ride to Russellville the 3rd weekend of June.  Wished I could have gone this month but stuff keeps getting in the way.  Been up there several times and it's worth every mile from Dallas to get there!

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 03:16:13 PM »
Oh yeah, Texrider... Arkansas twisties are cool.
I go there often. Usually around Eureka Springs, Talemina Drive...
Russelville's  got great roads, too.

Totally believe ya about Okla speedtraps. We're notorious for those, and toll roads.
Yet our roads are some of the worst you'll find.

Rode some great twisties this past weekend around the Talequah, Ok area, and east of there.
Beautiful country around there, and the Illinois River's always clear and flowing.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Jim __

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
Since you're more familiar with OK, is it worth trying Talimena drive in June?  We've driven it on a weekday in October and it was great but I have this image of being stuck behind 10 cars and an RV once all the families are on summer vacation.  As an alternative, we've thought about doing the Indian Highway, instead, then back to 259 for the twisties before heading to Mena.  Is the Indian Highway worth the detour?

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
I've ridden it in June. One thing that is nice that time of year is the lack of fog.
Talimena Drive during spring and fall has some of the densest fog I've ever seen!
During June, though, usually by 8 am it's all clear.

It's right at 80 miles from Talihina, Ok to Mena, Arkansas.
There's a motel in Talihina, and a restaurant...both are decent. One gas station, so be sure to either fill up there if you're headed to Mena, or in Mena if you're headed to Talihina.
I have family that live in Mena, and it's like my second home town.

The top of the drive is right about the middle, at around 40 miles.
At that point, on a clear day, from any of the several places you can pull over, you can literally see for miles.

Sidenote: always be on the lookout for deer while on the drive! Had one bigger than my bike jump out in front of me once at the 40 mile mark! Very close call, and took every ounce of brakes I had to avoid hitting it!

The fall, right after the first frosts, when the leaves begin to change colors, is the most stunning time.
But you have to really watch the weather forecasts, and deal with waiting out the fog.
Believe me, when it's raining, foggy, or snowing...you don't wanna be there!

Also, watch out for the LEOS. They radar all along the way, so obey the posted speed.
Queen Wilhemena State Park is about 12-15 miles from Mena on the Drive, and a nice place to stop.
There's also a 4star hotel there, with a great restaurant. They had it closed for remodel last fall, but it should be back open by now.

The ride from Mena to Hot Springs has a lot of good twisties. From Hot Springs, I've been north on several different routes...ranging from a majority of divided 2 lane to SERIOUS twisties as you head to Eureka Springs. If you are into curvy roads, then anywhere around Eureka Springs is a twisty-lover's paradise!

It's just hard to find bad places to ride in that area.
Bob
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Jim __

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:30:01 AM »
Thanks for the info/tips.  We hit fog last October on Talimena Drive.  Wow, you're not kidding about the density.  Went from beautiful skies to dense fog and back to open sky in a 15 mile stretch.  There certainly was no need to worry about speed traps during that part of the trip.  Normally, we'll shoot over to 27 from Mena and catch Magazine mountain on the way to Russellville for their cheap hotels.  We've only begun to explore the roads north out of Russellville.  Haven't found a dud, yet.  Haven't been to Eureka Springs, yet either, but it sure looks like fun on Google maps.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
If you're looking for great twisties, here's a route I've taken that's awesome;

From Mena, east out of town, take 59 N to 270 E to Mount Ida, (heading towards Hot Springs.)  N on 27 to Danville, 27 NE, through Dardenelle, to Russellville, continue N on 27 through Dover, 164 to 7 N...(this is where the fun REALLY begins!) 7N to Harrison, 392 W to 412, through Alpena, 62 W to Green Forest, Berryville, and into Eureka Springs.

That is one of the best day rides I've ever ridden... (next to the Rockies in Colorado in July...)

Don't recall riding 259 or the Indian Highway, as of yet... can't say.

One other sidebar...
the scenery is spectacular along highway 7, but the curves are sharp! Stay focused on the road!
It's an area that if you happen to seriously crash in, it's a long way to the nearest hospital.
Lost a friend because of that a few years back, about an hour outside of Talihina.
Sounds silly, but twisties in Arkansas can sneak up on ya.

Also, it's wise to invest in a fresh set of tires before you go!
Those chip and seal roads will eat 'em up fast!
Definitely not Shinko roads! Lol
(Friend of mine found that out, too... Had to call his dad to bring the trailer... from Witchita! No new tires anywhere in the area to buy! He had installed a brand new Shinko rear on his XS11 before leaving Witchita, and after 2 days of spirited riding around Eureka, it was showing cord!)
Bob

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »
If you've never been to Eureka Springs... It's a must do.

I go there a couple of times per year, we get a motel... Plenty there, as it's a quaint tourist town, and make day rides around the area. Best roads anywhere within 4 hours of Tulsa.

The Crescent Hotel is cool. My son got married there. Supposedly haunted, and they give tours.
Sits up on top of the hill overlooking town. They have lots of cool shops downtown, the girls love that.
There's Thornecrown Chapel... All glass, sits back in the woods... It's cool to visit...
The Passion Play, and a huge statue of Jesus, overlooking the Ozarks.
Lots of great eating places...
Lots of hills! If you go shopping downtown, get ready. Can be tough if you're riding a bike, 2 up.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
Oh, and another great road around there is hwy 23... South out of Eureka called the Pig Trail.
They say it got it's name 2 ways... One is it's as twisty as a pigs tail, and the other is it was a popular back road route into Fayetteville for UofA Razorbacks games.

If you take that ride,, be sure to turn east at 215, and head into Oark for lunch at the Oark General Store. It's the oldest, continuously run general store in Ar. Great hamburgers, but stop in early. It gets busy around lunchtime. We waited 2 hours for a table last summer! Lots of motorcyclists stop there.
South out of Oark on 103 is cool, snakelike, with lots of 10 mph hairpins.

The Cliff House Restaurant, located at the Arkansas Grand Canyon is cool, too. Good food, and the view is spectacular. Head south out of Jasper on hwy 7.

Pick a road... any road. They're all good!
Ride Safe!
Bob

Offline Jim __

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
Wow!  So many choices for just 3 days.  I'm definitely going to work some of your suggestions in this time, then try some more in the fall.  Thanks!!!

Offline texrider

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »
Never found an Arkansas road that did not at least lead to a better one 8)

I go east on 43 from Stringtown on my way in, and out down 2 from Clayton to Antlers, after I take the back way from Sardis Lake to Clayton.
I'll run the Drive at least one way, and 59, 144, the Indian Highway, 2 to Wilburton, etc. if I only have a day or two...
If I have three or four, I'm headed up by Table Rock areas, then down 7 and everything in between.
Y'all have named off my favorite places too! Nothing beats Ozarks riding, this side of the Rockies.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Jim __

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 06:07:38 AM »
That's it!  Time to retire. :chugbeer:  There's no way I can do all the riding I want and still work.  Hopefully, the June ride will work out, otherwise, I'll have to do 2 rides in the fall.  One to the Ozarks and the other to Kerrville.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 06:26:59 AM »
Now I have a delimna...
I managed to convince a couple of buddies to go ride over there this weekend...
Then started looking at the weather forecasts...
Looking kinda rainy!
Have to watch it closely between now and tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 07:04:18 AM »
I have no luck dodging rain.  Tried beating a thunderstorm from Mena to Russellville a couple of years ago.  Rained on me, hard, the entire time until I pulled into Russellville and it stopped, of course.  My biggest concern with the June ride is the heat (and RVs).  I've set a limit of 93 degrees but I may have to be flexible if I'm going to get a 3 day ride in before this fall.