Author Topic: Pope’s Ram Mount Hand Wings Design  (Read 11353 times)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Pope’s Ram Mount Hand Wings Design
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:03:23 AM »
Using Ram Mount’s “B” (1”) ball size components and some acrylic, I came up with this design after some trial and errors. It’s still a work in process, but I was asked by another rider to do a write-up on what I was working on.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: Pope’s Ram Mount Hand Wings Design
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:04:22 AM »
For the base, I used RAM-B-202U-225  , which I mounted to the side panels with 8-32 screws & nyloc nuts.
I used RAM-B-202U-152  base to mount the shield to with 8-32 screws and nyloc nuts.
The shields are made from some tinted acrylic sheet material which I got from McMaster-Carr. The shields in the photos are still a work in progress as I originally had shorter Ram Mount Arms. I’ll order in some more of the acrylic and make up some that fit the area better later. But for these, I took some cardboard and cut & fit it to come up with a pattern and then traced it out on the acrylic and then cut it out with a jigsaw. As you can tell, I haven’t cleaned up the edges yet.
The arm I used is the 3” one (RAM-B-201U ).
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:05:14 AM »
I do like the fact that this design is simple, has a lot of adjustability and the bases that are mounted to the side panels can be used during the summer months for other items.
The Pope

Offline fsr402

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:44:58 AM »
I like that a lot. Thinking a nice winter project..

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:47:45 AM »
That's a great idea. Adjustability and easily removed when you don't need them.
I think a small plastic plate on the outside of the acrylic to not only hide the ram mount, but to strengthen the mounting point might not be a bad idea as well. JMO

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »
Can they be tipped in to bring more air in to the chest area?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:08:53 PM by McJunkie »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »
Nice. I was thinking of doing something similar but more simplistic by attaching the acrylic with a properly bent piece of aluminum. I like the idea of being able to adjust on the fly with the ram mount.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
Although it is a neat idea, I could never come to drilling holes in the dash like that to mount those RAM balls :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
Can they be tipped in to bring more air in to the chest area?

Yes.

Although it is a neat idea, I could never come to drilling holes in the dash like that to mount those RAM balls :)

3M High Strength Double Sided Tape.
The Pope

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »
Yes.

3M High Strength Double Sided Tape.

^^^

Although I'm sure you could replace those sections of plastic fairly inexpensive, 3M VHB is the way to go...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
Here's an idea, get a removeable Ram ball, mount the plate underneath and have a small hole (gentle guys).  That leaves nothing but the Ram Balls showing (yes, I went there).  I could see a setup that had a pair on each side, could be used for wings (awesome idea BTW), a camera mount, and radar detector (not required on black bikes FWIW).  I think I need a new cover for the right side as I have made it my power center and mounted the Gerbing dual controllers there. 
I think I may do something similar for the GS, I'd like to reroute some of the wind off the chest here in a couple months without adding an oversized neck clever.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 04:11:35 AM »
I've got updated acrylic. (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic's, but it's all that I have at the moment)
This is also a bump for those that haven't see this concept before.

The Pope

Offline phoneman

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
  I'm liking this.  Looks like it has lots of possibilities as in keeping air away or bringing it in.

I'm not real sure that 3M tape is going to hold by itself--those deflectors gotta be pushing a lot of air.  I'd probably bolt it down as you have done--maybe even put some extra material of some sort under the side panel you have the deflectors bolted to.  They may crack over time w/o something under there.

Still a great idea.  Let us know how they hold up after some use.  And thanks for thinking outside the box and coming up with something that is probably better than what can be bought retail. :)

Offline Gsun

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
I like it because it is adjustable. All shields are different and my Cal Sci hits my ProjekD's when all the way down.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 07:16:05 AM »
  I'm liking this.  Looks like it has lots of possibilities as in keeping air away or bringing it in.

I'm not real sure that 3M tape is going to hold by itself--those deflectors gotta be pushing a lot of air.  I'd probably bolt it down as you have done--maybe even put some extra material of some sort under the side panel you have the deflectors bolted to.  They may crack over time w/o something under there.

Still a great idea.  Let us know how they hold up after some use.  And thanks for thinking outside the box and coming up with something that is probably better than what can be bought retail. :)

Thanks and I do have large fender washers on the underside to spread the load.

I had the prior acrylic shaped deflectores on there for more than a year and these new ones have been on there for 2 or more months now. I normally run this setup year round and it help to keep the wind off of my wide sholders.
The Pope

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »
Thanks and I do have large fender washers on the underside to spread the load.

I had the prior acrylic shaped deflectores on there for more than a year and these new ones have been on there for 2 or more months now. I normally run this setup year round and it help to keep the wind off of my wide sholders.

Don't live in Texas, do you!  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »
Nope, but we had a week of +100F days here in NC this past summer.
The Pope

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
John, I like the looks of what you built.
Well done!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 07:23:10 AM »
John, I like the looks of what you built.
Well done!

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted!
The Pope

Offline byekryam

• "The only way out is through!"
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 02:44:30 PM »
Pope,

Do you think your set up would work with my aftermarket shield? (see post - http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=62927.0 )

If so, would you be interested in making me a set like you have?  How much would you charge?  Having a problem finding a set that will work with my shield.

Thanks,
Wood