Author Topic: Fuel Starvation when tank 1 bar or lower  (Read 10352 times)

Offline julianm

Fuel Starvation when tank 1 bar or lower
« on: December 16, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »
Hi Guys,
I hope someone can help with this.
I have a 2010 stock standard which has done about 15000 miles. For the last 4 tanks once the level gets down to 1 bar on the gauge , if you open the throttle the bike cuts out  and then pulls again. If I keep the throttle at a constant position it runs okay. Opening the filler cap and running with it open  does improve the situation until the "Fuel low"  warning comes on ,the cutting out returns. It gets to a point where if I try to pull off too fast the bike cuts out and I have to restart.
I have blown through  the breather line and the filler cap and both are open.
What does concern me is that with the cap open it still does it at the lower levels.
Filled up today and there was still about a gallon and a bit left.
Once the tank is full the problems goes away.
Have tried a search but can't find any reference to a similar problem.
Any suggestions welcome.
Many thanks

Offline Freddy

Re: Fuel Starvation when tank 1 bar or lower
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 05:38:00 AM »
Follow the link  in the first post.  Some of the original pics appear later the the Aussie thread.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1238.0
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:04:25 AM »
Either clean it or replace it...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline julianm

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »
Thanks very much for the information. Great relief that it is not something really serious.
Could not see the pictures on the link in the recommended post but have found this one which gives all the details with pictures. Thanks to JamminJere
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7625.0

Offline julianm

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:24:32 AM »
Another thought on this topic.
Has anyone considered removing the filter in the fuel pump and adding an external filter in the fuel line ?
Is this possible , is there space to do it , would it be accessible for easy replacement, etc. as this could be a simpler process than the tank removal, pump strip down, cleaning and reassembly ?

Offline Freddy

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 02:47:49 AM »
I'd thought of doing it but due to space restrictions, which you'll observe, it ain't gonna work easier than doing the one in the tank,

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 06:18:51 AM »
Julian,
Because we have a pressurized fuel injection system, a fuel filter between the tank and throttle bodies and injectors will do nothing to help preserve the life of the fuel pump itself. The filter/sock in the tank is the only way to prevent dirt from entering the complete fuel system.  This maintenance procedure is not difficult and after you do it once, like anything else, will be easier the next time.  Im positive that after reading your post that you will find a dirty fuel filter/sock in your tank and your bike will have new found power once the procedure is performed.

My complaint is that there are no maintenance procedures or parts avalable for the fuel pump from KAW. Even a great dealer technician told me he never had one apart... They just replace it.

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline marku8a

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I am curious to know if this is covered under the original and extended warranty.

Mark

Either clean it or replace it...
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 10:02:58 PM »
I am curious to know if this is covered under the original and extended warranty.

Mark
My bet is no, they can't control, what is put in the tank.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 05:01:33 AM »
My bet is no, they can't control, what is put in the tank.

+1.  What manufacturer covers the quality of fuel put in a vehicle??  The filter/sock is doing its job, but it does fall into the category Jimbo mentioned..
Clean it or replace it. I just cant see spending 300 bucks (maybe less on ebay) for a pump that has nothing else wrong than a dirty screen.

JJ

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »
I had almost the same start to my problem.  Then it started happening more frequently and at all tank levels.  Final result was that Kawi replaced the fuel pump under warranty - no problem since.  If you are covered I would have them look into it.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Dalroo

• 2B1 - ASK1
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:09 AM »
This may or may not help, and is more of a preventative step, but while riding HDs, a good friend of mine who is also an old bike builder swore by Marvel Mystery Oil. I got into the habit of adding 2 ounces to every third or fourth tank full of gas. He claimed that it kept dirt and debris from solidifying in the gas and sticking in the filter or in injectors (or floats on carbs). Again, his claim was instead it would break down and pass through the system.

I don't know how scientific this is, but I continue to use it regularly and have never had a problem. Then again, it could be snake oil and I've just been fortunate :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
This may or may not help, and is more of a preventative step, but while riding HDs, a good friend of mine who is also an old bike builder swore by Marvel Mystery Oil.

snake oil
the only additives I ever recomend are Stabilizer for storage, and IsoHeet for water removal, followed by running the modified gas completly out, and refilling....period.

I don't know a lot of HD riders that run a full tank of fuel out in a single ride...... ::)  I used to know a lot, but they all got lazy.....and resigned to polishing the chrome more than riding. 8) ::) ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline julianm

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 05:54:14 AM »
Spot on diagnosis , stripped and cleaned the filter which was pretty black , reassembled and bike now back to normal.
Thanks very much to all.
Some advice for next time though, how does one undo the connectors for the fuel pump and level sensor.
Eventually I used jewelers screwdrivers down the body of the connector at each clip while maintaining tension and managed after a struggle to un-clip them.
Is there a better way?

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 06:36:59 AM »
I think you did fine julian. Maybe next time the connectors wont be a snag for you.  Enjoy your repair work!

JJ

Offline cow06

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »
I know it's been some time since a reply has been listed for this thread, but here goes. I just finsiished the Aussie Dave fuel filter repair. Followed his directions with no problems. Used new filter from Kawasaki didn't attempt to clean old one. Used a set of plastiic car trim removal tools (harbor freight) to get the pump apart. No dings or dents in pump housing, that way. Also used a short piece of rubber hose with a bolt in it to cap the tank after fuel removed, due a residual in the bottom. Thought better not to have that spillage on bike or in the shop.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 02:38:55 AM »
The 1400 filter kit (with O rings) has only been available for less than a year I think p/n 99999-0521.  The filter alone is p/n 49019-0013 and less than half the price of the kit.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 05:19:48 AM »
I know it's been some time since a reply has been listed for this thread, but here goes. I just finsiished the Aussie Dave fuel filter repair. Followed his directions with no problems. Used new filter from Kawasaki didn't attempt to clean old one. Used a set of plastiic car trim removal tools (harbor freight) to get the pump apart. No dings or dents in pump housing, that way. Also used a short piece of rubber hose with a bolt in it to cap the tank after fuel removed, due a residual in the bottom. Thought better not to have that spillage on bike or in the shop.

You may want to buy a filter screen and fit it to the old pump as a spare so if there is next time all you have to do is replace the assembly.  That's what I did. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 10:55:30 AM »
I bought 3 filters and replaced it.  I have 2 in the shop drawer for the next couple times.  I may do it over the winter.   It's a wear item, I wouldn't clean it when it's so easy and cheap to replace.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Big W

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 02:20:16 AM »
Fuel filter needs a clean, as tank empties more likely to happen, less fuel pressure. Also cuts out when on the gas overtaking, leaving you high and dry. Kawasaki refuse to admit there is a problem, they want you to buy complete fuel pump and filter assembly. New filter is same as Kawasaki mule. Have had 2 GTR's, has happened to both bikes approximately every 10 thousand km, always have used good fuel. Great bike, very poor form Kawasaki!