Author Topic: Time to play in California  (Read 2499 times)

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Time to play in California
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:55 PM »
I'm flying out this Saturday to ride my KLR around for a while. I'll be starting out from Point Mugu, probably will just throw the KLR in the back of the Navy Boy's pick up with his Husky 610 to travel up to South Tahoe on 5/31. Will be departing Tahoe on the 3rd(Friday) to head NW toward Crescent City area, then south to Point Mugu, arrive Mugu on the following Thurs evening. I'm usually pretty adept at finding decent roads and campsites, but am wide open for suggestions for can't miss roads/campgrounds.

Thanx
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
Re: Time to play in California
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
I got no help for ya, but have a great time out there! Avoid the KFC on the north shore of Tahoe.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline riverbound51

• It's all about the ride.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
I just posted this at another location  as well.  For California, try Pashnit.com.  They cover backroads and some off road areas as well.  I am not sure about much camping information, but they do a good job of reviewing roads and rides.
2008 Concours 14
Always looking for the road less traveled
www.odysseymotorcycletouring.com

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »
I live 40 miles west of Tahoe.  It keeps snowing up there about every other day including at the present time.  Hope it clears up before you start on Tuesday.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:02:04 AM »
I live 40 miles west of Tahoe.  It keeps snowing up there about every other day including at the present time.  Hope it clears up before you start on Tuesday.
We'll be hauling the bikes up in the kid's Rapture, if it's snowing, we'll just get beer and adjust plans accordingly. :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :thumbs:

I checked out the Pa$hnit site, the $20 kinda put me off, hey everyone has to make a buck somehow. then went surfing, found this site, way cool

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/ca.html

I'm out in Cal now, on the coast at Point MUGU, it's chilly out compared to good ol' muggy hot Floriduh. I think I'll acclimate just fine ;)
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)