Author Topic: Test Rode the Indian Scout  (Read 5755 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Test Rode the Indian Scout
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:54:08 AM »
It was a cold overcast day today.  Maybe hit 50 degrees when I did the demo ride.

I find the Indian Scout to be a good looking bike.  They had 3 colors on hand for the demo ride.  The gray, black, and red.

I'll start with the good.  The engine is freaking awesome!  Within the constraints of the demo ride I was still able to get on the bike a little.  Definitely a fun engine with plenty of power and it sounded nice with the stock exhaust.  The bike was nimble with very light steering.  Almost turned in too quick for those only used to cruisers.
They only had the bikes set up with the base ergonomics which were fine for me.  They offer several seats to move the rider forward or back, and several footpeg mounts to adjust the reach to the pegs.  Handlebars could be adjusted up and down for reach and they have alternate bars as well.  The bike should appeal to a lot of riders.

The not so good.  The fueling still needs to be sorted out.  If you are just racing from stoplight to stoplight you will love the fuel delivery.  It comes on strong and hard.  If you are trying to cruise with the bike there was a lot of surge and/or hesitation in the low throttle input fuel delivery.  The suspension was sprung softly.  Indian did not spend any money for the suspension to match the stellar engine.  I guess they didn't want a $15000 bike, or thought that anyone coming from a Harley wouldn't notice anyway.  I had a discussion with the salesman and the manager and after telling them I currently ride a Mean Streak they both acquiesced and admitted that they found the suspension lacking as well.

The bad.  While getting acquainted with the bike before the ride, I grabbed the front brake and rocked the bike back and forth to feel the suspension and make sure the steering stem wasn't loose.  All of a sudden the brake lever came all the way to the grip.  I looked down at the caliper and there was brake fluid on the ground.  I am so glad I checked before the ride, but now my demo ride was in jeopardy.  I called over the Indian transporter and fortunately it was just the banjo bolt that needed tightening.  I have never ever had a bike that needed the banjo bolt tightened.  WTF? 

Conclusion.  If you really want to join the ranks of Indian owners and don't have $21,000 - $29,000 to buy the 111 engine bikes, the Scout is a good choice.  What I told the dealer is that it would be a bike I would consider on the used market for around $7,000 so I could then address the suspension and fueling issues with aftermarket.

This same dealer also sells Ducati so they are supposed to call me when they get a demo Scrambler in next spring.  If it fits, and rides well, it might beat the Scout into my garage.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Test Rode the Indian Scout
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:08:18 AM »
They used to have race bikes. That's what I wish they would do. ;D

That is a cool looking ride. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
They used to have race bikes. That's what I wish they would do. ;D

That is a cool looking ride. 8)

Funny you say that.  I said the same thing to the Indian Rep and he gave me this look that told me they have other ideas up their sleeves for the future.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:45:26 PM »
I am rooting for Indian, and I am glad they are thinking out of the box unlike Harley. :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »
Those are the best looking cruisers on the market. I also think it is great that Polaris is thinking outside the box!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 07:39:03 AM »
Not for me but would love to see Indian make it in a big way. Other American bikes like EBR and Motus might be around for a while but I expect tiny niche markets for them in the world market. Indian I think has the potential to be a major player like HD even outside the US.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
I am rooting for Indian, and I am glad they are thinking out of the box unlike Harley. :)

Harley thinks outside the box. Live wire. It's the faithful have no vision.
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:32:54 PM »
Harley thinks outside the box. Live wire. It's the faithful have no vision.

At least Victory has a Vision.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 04:30:28 AM »

At least Victory has a Vision.  8)
:) the designer must have been on drugs when he had that 'Vision'.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:04:31 AM »

I agree, but the ride is amazing.  Probably the best handling touring cruiser out there.
My Concours Travels:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 06:22:10 AM »
I have not ridden one but people I talk to that have say exactly that.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 10:28:51 AM »

I rather like the design, and if a tip over occurs the bike does not lay flat and is very easy to pick up with no damage to you or the bike. Talk to some guys that own them, they say the handling is comparable to how a Wing handles.......the bike handles much better than you would imagine. If I ever get a bagger, that is very likely the machine I will go with.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »
I agree, but the ride is amazing.  Probably the best handling touring cruiser out there.

I agree also. The vision is one nice touring bike. Handles way better then some of the other Victory's like the Cross Country Tour. But damn, George Jettson called and he wants his bike back.  :o

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
Thanks for the write up, most all the people who would buy that bike won't notice the suspension issues you did, and, if any of those people did, they most likely wouldn't do anything about it anyway. But, on the other hand, if Indian is trying to lure guys used to riding bike with good suspensions. Hmmm. I don't know. They did a lot of market research before building this bike. I too thought the Vision was a decent bike to ride, weird as hell, but decent.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 01:20:03 AM »
I don't think I'm ready for that type of bike yet but I've got to say you guys are the masters of Retro-Modern (or is it Modern-Retro).

The Indian range (and that bike in particular) look stunning.................No big 4 Japanese manufacturer or any other world player seems to be able to deliver heritage with such conviction as your home teams.

There are many facsimile cola's in the world but we all know the real deal is ether Coke or Pepsi.......................when I'm ready to ride Heritage I'm glad that you guys are able to offer us a choice of "The Real Deal" machines.

:thumbs: :chugbeer: