Author Topic: Another stab at a Coast to Coast in 50 hours, this time heading east  (Read 33680 times)

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
Re: Another stab at a Coast to Coast in 50 hours, this time heading east
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
It looks like he is on his way.

1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline andreaF

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 04:11:14 PM »
Yes he is!  Sorry I was delayed.....   :( 

The official start time is 12:53 (Pacific time) Chet road with him for a bit, he's gotten rained on a couple of times and his thermostat quit on him...

he's traveled 108 miles  - 2950 to go
avg speed 53.8
been on the road about 2 hours now

My vigil has officially begun, gotta go make my popcorn!

Andrea

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
So, I just made it home!  We started moving at 1300 sharp, dern gas station receipt tried cheating him of almost an hour so we moved to another station to get the start receipt fixed.  We rolled right on past Ft Lewis and I departed his slip stream at 1447.  He was in awesome spirits and sure appeared well rested.  I'll post up pics from the ocean, gas station and a couple while we were rolling.  I am deeply concerned that that Sturgis stop may have polluted him, seriously.  He has HIGHWAY PEGS :o
Anrea, if ya need anything or if Brian needs anything ya have my number, I'll be around till early Wednesday then I'll be in cell free land.  Don't hesitate.

Offline andreaF

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
Thanks so much Chet for getting the pics,  can't wait to see them!  Once again he does seem to be in a great frame of mind ....which I guess is one of the more important things you would need for this type of endeavor.

Thanks once again for being there for both of us, it means a great deal!

Andrea

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
Thanks so much Chet for getting the pics,  can't wait to see them!  Once again he does seem to be in a great frame of mind ....which I guess is one of the more important things you would need for this type of endeavor.

Thanks once again for being there for both of us, it means a great deal!

Andrea
Your'e quite welcome.  If you speak with Brian in the next 15 minutes or so let him know the town is Ellensburg ( I had a brain fart, wanted to tell him where the states biggest speed trap is).

Offline andreaF

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
I just tried him, but it went right to VM, he's either in a spot with no service, or could be on the other line....not sure... :-\
he's generally very cautious about his speed though....One oopsie will blow the ride....so I'm sure he'll be ok....

thanks though!
Andrea

Son of Pappy

Offline andreaF

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »
Gret pics Chet, thanks!!!  And you do all realize I'm sitting here laughing to myself, watching him tell me the "CAT" Joke!!!  OMG! He knew I would when I saw him too I'm sure.....hehehe....  I really hate that I'm so predictable....

Anyway, I'll be calling him again shortly, but last we spoke he was just getting ready for a fuel stop, .he had been on the road for 4 hours, 224 miles.  All was well at the time, he was cruising along at 72 (you had him a bit nervous about speed along there).

We discovered also, when we were figuring the times coming into NY, we were doing the time change backwards, so he should have left earlier...he's gonna come into RYE at about 4-5pm....not so great...oh well, nothing can be done about that now!

Andrea

Offline andreaF

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »
You should be able to see a custom yellow flag showing at the fuel stop (don't know why the first one didn't work). 

Normally he tanks up while sitting on the bike.  Now with the new aux tank, he has to actually get off the bike to fill it, so he thinks it may be slowing him down more than the time saved by having that extra fuel......hmmm...dissapointing I would say. 

‎331 miles, 2722 mile to go...avg speed 59

sun's just starting to set

all is well...
Andrea

Son of Pappy

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »
At least this time he aint riding backwards ;D

Offline andreaF

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:34 AM »
mornin all! 

Brian's at mile marker 392 in Montana now.....only one car in is rearview mirror.

856 miles in; 13hrs 18mins; avg speed 64.3

he passed by an awful head on accident in the  I-90 West bound lanes...otherwise, dark and uneventfull.
all is well!

Andrea

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 05:24:02 AM »
His first fuel stop was about 300 miles. After that the fuel stops have been only about 200 miles. Is he having trouble with the auxiliary fuel tank.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 05:55:36 AM »
Almost into Wyoming!  Brian seems to be making good time, hopefully he gets the hang of refueling to maximize his time on the road.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
His first fuel stop was about 300 miles. After that the fuel stops have been only about 200 miles. Is he having trouble with the auxiliary fuel tank.
Not sure if he's having trouble but part of his plan was to give it a try and then keep it as a reserve. 

Offline andreaF

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 08:25:37 AM »
correct...no trouble at all...... he just feels he was using more time by getting off the bike to fill that tank, then he does stopping every 200 miles.  He can pull in, swipe his card and fill up VERY quickly.  As you said he now has it as a reserve should the need arise.

Spoke to him last on my commute, so couldn't write any stats down......but he did say his avg speed is climbing, which is great, he'll need it!

Andrea

Not sure if he's having trouble but part of his plan was to give it a try and then keep it as a reserve.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 08:55:58 AM »
Hopefully Strugis doesn't hold him hostage again.  I wouldn't be able to bear the sight of a C14 with leather tassles and chrome doodads hanging off of it.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline andreaF

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
Latest update...in South Dakota it's clear & sunny but HOT...it's down to about 88 from 102!!!  those supposed tail winds don't seem to be with him though....mileage is down to 38mpg :(

He's figuring he should soon have a "Bun Burner Gold" under his belt (1500miles in 24hrs)! 8)

1388 miles; 20hrs 28mins; 67.7 avg speed 

He feels great, all is well!

Andrea

Offline okxd45

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
 :popcorn:
Go Brian go!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline andreaF

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »
he's half way there! 

1520 miles; 22hrs 16min; 68.2 avg speed

he's gonna have to short tank the next stop to be sure he gets the BBG cert...
its still hot, he's passed lots of construction and is currently stuck behind a truck going 52 and has been for sometime....
he was a bit aggravated by it all.....  :(

But still feeling well and in general doing great!

Andrea

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
What route will he be taking near Chicago?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn