Author Topic: Now it wont start  (Read 9149 times)

Offline sgilbert14

Re: Now it wont start
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 05:44:58 AM »
Thanks and will be doing this from now on

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
Steve, if you sprayed carb cleaner into assembled carbs you most likely did more damage. The slide diaphrams absolutely will not tolerate getting carb cleaner on them, they swell up like crazy, and then they won't lift the slides at all, effectively killing anything past idle.

BTW, when ethanol dries and clogs the pilots, it's just a tiny film over the orifice. since you're feeling stickiness, I hate to tell you, that's the tank sealer again. check the engine side of the carb throttle valves (butterflies) see if they have a haze on them that you can wipe off with some carb cleaner on a paper towel. If so, it's the tank epoxy again, just like last time.

The instructions that came with the carbs has info on using the tcw3 oil, and it's highly recommended. Good luck, Steve

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 07:44:05 AM »
Wow, take sealer after over a year. That really sucks. I have really gotten to hate this bike. Cannot wait to get it out of here. My next, if there is one, will be fuel injected, ABS and much newer. No more taken on older projects.

Thank for the help.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »
Well, here is what I have done today:

Pulled the carbs, again, cleaned the jets, ports etc.... no gum on the inside but it took a few squirts in 3 and 4 to get the cleaner to squirt freely through the mixture holes taking extra care not to get anything dear the diaphragms as Steve noted. Thanks to luck I wasn't spraying anything up into the, yesterday. So not I am will put it all back together later and hope for the best. If that doesn't work I have a new bike shop that just opened up down the road that just may have a bike to work on.

Offline julianop

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
A couple oz per 5-6 gal is enough. Any inexpensive non-synthetic TCWlll two stroke oil will do the trick.

I've done this religiously since I had Steve wave his Jedi hand over my carbs a couple of years back. Short of forgetting to switch to prime once after a two or three week dead spell and having trouble starting (duh), I've never had a single carburation problem - not one in 30,000 miles.

I have a morning ritual, too, when I ride the bike to work in colder weather. When I pull out of my subdivision - a 1/2 mile initial warm up - I'll pull hard from about 2500RPM for just about a second: not to rev, just to lift the slides ('cos of the vacuum) and get them lubricated. It seems to eliminate any slight roughness I get just above idle after a cold night in a northern Midwest garage.

So yes, I too swear by the 2-stroke oil treatment.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »
Sounds good.

I gave up on the "self repair" and brought the carbs in today. I tried to get the thing working and instead just gave up nearly 2 seasons of riding and more $ then if I would have had the thing rebuilt at the shop. Just having the carbs bench tested to try to narrow the issue down. All I need to do is have it run and it is sold and I may or may not get another bike and if I do it will be fuel injected with ABS, radio and big comfy seat like a BMW 1200 touring mike or the like..

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »
be careful, the shop isn't going to know my jetting, using the foam etc, and they're going to insist on returning the carbs to stock jetting.

I also have a bmw1200 lt,  all i can say is you either need to turn into a very skilled mechanic, or have a LOT of money to keep it up. Steve

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 09:49:19 AM »
Thanks Steve
All I need to do is to get it running and then it will be sold off

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
The only thing that I am having checked is that there is fuel leaving the carbs as designed. I did not ask for anything beyond that. The bike has me beat and I just want it out of here and I hope that if this gets it to start them I have it sold for $1500 w/o most of the options.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »
see the other post you have... this double posting isn't conducive to problem solving.
Send them to Steve, and have him look at them, and maybe run them on his bike.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 05:09:13 AM »
Here's some interesting info on epoxy.

Y'all might know I had a high velocity ported head on my bike for years. I had partially filled the intake port with JBWeld to reshape the port. well after about 5 years, the epoxy was breaking down from the cleaning agents in ethanol fuel, and I had to replace the head. I did this early 2013. Of course there was epoxy in the combustion chambers, piston top, and back up into the carb throat forward of the butterfly. I meticulously cleaned all of it from the cylinder / pistons, and carbs. Of course the new head was immaculately clean.

So fast forward to yesterday. I'm doing some fine tune jetting on Shoodaben, and had to pull the carbs. guess what's all built up in the front throat of the carbs? you guessed it, JBWeld.  I don't know where it's coming from, but obviously carried back to the carbs by reversion pulses. I cleaned it all up, but still, this stuff is tenacious and seemingly impossible to get rid of.

My advise is to be very very careful with choosing tank sealer epoxies, as most of them were formulated before ethanol fuel and today's cleaning agents. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

BTW, if you're interested in the some hotrod work, here's a video of the ported heads, pistons, etc. Cool stuff for hotrodders  - Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIR2eEqeSiM

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 05:40:21 AM »
'My advise is to be very very careful with choosing tank sealer epoxies, as most of them were formulated before ethanol fuel and today's cleaning agents. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.'

Steve, do you have a recommendation on viable sealers?

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 05:59:35 AM »
 I did use the KBS system that Murph sells as a PM for shoodaben. I gave it over a month to dry though. I have had no issues in the last 2 or 3 years since I did it. Steve

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 06:04:04 AM »
Thanks, I've got an old bmw tank that needs attention.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
I used the KBS as well and about a week++ to dry. All kinds of fun I guess

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 06:04:05 AM »
for the sake of insanity I will do updates on my other post from this point on. Sorry about driving people nuts I thought that it would be better to list this as a different issue but... thanks