Author Topic: Strange cracks...  (Read 7391 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Strange cracks...
« on: December 07, 2015, 02:08:41 PM »
This is reposted from the UK forum...

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5184.0

Anyone with a 10 on up see this yet?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Strange cracks...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
No, have not seen that one before- clearly a KiPass failure.

Looks like the screw may have been over- tightened.

Brian

This is reposted from the UK forum...

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5184.0

Anyone with a 10 on up see this yet?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18029.msg220697#msg220697

Similar, but different. This one looks like a screw problem, suppose mine could have been, too (where the grip heather switch mounts).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »
You might want to add an Easy Boys! after the 'screw problem' part of that second sentence.

:-)

Brian

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18029.msg220697#msg220697

Similar, but different. This one looks like a screw problem, suppose mine could have been, too (where the grip heather switch mounts).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
One of my panels failed right where the well nut is located. Just looks like a missing screw. Mainly because it is a missing screw. ::)
I must have used it too much when it was new... :P

Probably from landing a monster wheelie. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 03:55:50 PM »

Brian

:goodpost:  Probably didn't realize it at the time and the vibrations/time/environmental conditions compounded the issue.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »
Looks like the screw may have been over- tightened

I agree.  I bet that sucker was just a little too tight and over time, it finally stressed the plastic too much and with a hard bump, game over.  Sorry to see that kind of thing happen, it is a pain.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »
Doesn't happen on the 08/09 bikes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 05:14:12 PM »
You might want to add an Easy Boys! after the 'screw problem' part of that second sentence.

Brian

Ha! I thought about it, but didn't want to be accused of plagiarizing your lines.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

sailor_chic

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »
I was relieved seeing the first picture here and it was a bike part. I feared this was going to be some Walmart type pics of diverse people showing there backsides.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »
VirginiaJim,
My 2011 has done that. Stinks.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
VirginiaJim,
My 2011 has done that. Stinks.

It really is VERY easy to overtighten many of the bodywork screws on the C14.  They like to use those rubber bushings below the screws.  The bushings are nice because they can help to eliminate rattles and keep things from loosening.  But they also crank up the force on the plastic and make it difficult when tightening to know when to stop.  And I doubt there are specs for the torque for body screws :)  (Nor have I seen a torque-metered screwdriver... and who would do that, anyway???)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
It really is VERY easy to overtighten many of the bodywork screws on the C14.  They like to use those rubber bushings below the screws.  The bushings are nice because they can help to eliminate rattles and keep things from loosening.  But they also crank up the force on the plastic and make it difficult when tightening to know when to stop.  And I doubt there are specs for the torque for body screws :)  (Nor have I seen a torque-metered screwdriver... and who would do that, anyway???)

I know, Max...
I've had to pull that panel a few times for various things like when I installed my Rostra, or when I change my air filter, etc.

Didn't think I overtightened it enough to cause that, but... It did.
If I had left it any looser, it probably would have vibrated out.
You wouldn't think using a 3" 3/8's extension with a torx bit by hand would have overtightened it enough to crack it, but mine split completely into.

It didn't break though when I tightened it. It waited for many miles later. Looked down one day... there it was... cracked in two at the bolt.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »

Brian

Look exactly like that. Someone hamfisted it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »
It really is VERY easy to overtighten many of the bodywork screws on the C14.  They like to use those rubber bushings below the screws.  The bushings are nice because they can help to eliminate rattles and keep things from loosening.  But they also crank up the force on the plastic and make it difficult when tightening to know when to stop.

Well, now mine is cracked too (below glovebox trim near the heater control).  And it has been months since I last removed that panel and pretty sure I didn't over-tighten.  It just "appeared" after several hot days.  For now, it is just a single crack, and doesn't connect to the screw (it is on the other side, near the handlebars).  Makes me sick, but, oh well.  Next time I take it out for some reason, I will look and see if there is a way to mend it from behind with epoxy or something :(

Offline jwh20

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »
A new one is only about $65.  So before spending a lot of money with plastic welding services or making something out of epoxy, you might just want to order a new one.  It does, however, appear to me that this piece is under-engineered.  The way it cracks looks like the stress of the openings and the inserts is just too much for that thickness and grade of plastic.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 12:26:39 PM »
A new one is only about $65.  So before spending a lot of money with plastic welding services or making something out of epoxy, you might just want to order a new one.  It does, however, appear to me that this piece is under-engineered.  The way it cracks looks like the stress of the openings and the inserts is just too much for that thickness and grade of plastic.

Yeah, it always seemed to me to be "too thin", from the first time I disassembled it.  I thought "surely this is going to break, especially over time when it is bound to get more brittle".  Interestingly, I found the part on one major site- it is the only one of all those shown in the explosion diagram that is "not available".  $7 for some epoxy might do the trick.  It isn't structural and I don't think it is like to get worse, and I am in no rush to fix it.  Might be quite a while before I take that panel off for some other purpose.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 07:02:42 AM »

Brian

Screw problems in a thread titled 'Strange Cracks'. Yeah, we're gonna need a few 'easy boys' here and there.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 10:47:12 AM »
Screw problems in a thread titled 'Strange Cracks'. Yeah, we're gonna need a few 'easy boys' here and there.

:banana

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
Word of the day is incorrigible.