Author Topic: Laminar lip or shield I could borrow for a bit?  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Laminar lip or shield I could borrow for a bit?
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »
Hey guys and gals, I have a request. Would anybody with an aftermarket shield or laminar lip laying around be willing to allow me to borrow for my moto trip around end of June? I am not quite ready to pull the trigger on a new shield quite yet, was really wanting to try a lip first. I would be happy to reimburse for shipping should anyone be willing to hook me up.

Danke.....

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Laminar lip or shield I could borrow for a bit?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 03:39:30 AM »
I've got a Kwak tall shield, Kwak stock 08 shield, and CB Euro.  Which one do you want?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
I've got a Kwak tall shield, Kwak stock 08 shield, and CB Euro.  Which one do you want?

Seriously....ah Jim that would be awesome!!! I would love to try that CB Euro, for sure a screen I have been wondering about. What the heck are you running now, you actually have 3 shields sitting around?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:09:28 AM »
you actually have 3 shields sitting around?

He's a hoarder...  ;)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »
He's a hoarder...  ;)

Might come in handy for me.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:03:12 PM »
I've got the CB Ultra Tour now.  Kinda like that one.  I can send the CB Euro but it has AF stickers on it.  It's also a bit on the buggy side.  PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail if you want it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:05:16 PM »
I have a Vstream if you wanted to try that... it's a decent shield, I drilled holes in the lower area both sides because the stock shield pulls you in when the shield is up, pretty annoying but the holes really worked to equalize backpressure

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
Wow, I would think the least you could do would be to clean, buff and install the windshield on the guy's bike. Oh and maybe kick in a couple of bucks for fuel too.

Seriously, nice offer Jim.

Brian

I've got the CB Ultra Tour now.  Kinda like that one.  I can send the CB Euro but it has AF stickers on it.  It's also a bit on the buggy side.  PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail if you want it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »
Put whistles in the holes and the pain from the noise will overcome the discomfort from the vacuum. You're welcome.

;D

The CalSci windshields have a humongous hole in the middle near the bottom. Coolest thing ever is to ride behind one in the snow and watch how the snow that comes through the hole moves- the flakes travel virtually straight up and over the rider's helmet. Pretty amazing to see although the terror of waiting to slide down the road does take away from the experience a little bit.

Brian

I have a Vstream if you wanted to try that... it's a decent shield, I drilled holes in the lower area both sides because the stock shield pulls you in when the shield is up, pretty annoying but the holes really worked to equalize backpressure
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
Put whistles in the holes and the pain from the noise will overcome the discomfort from the vacuum. You're welcome.

;D

The CalSci windshields have a humongous hole in the middle near the bottom. Coolest thing ever is to ride behind one in the snow and watch how the snow that comes through the hole moves- the flakes travel virtually straight up and over the rider's helmet. Pretty amazing to see although the terror of waiting to slide down the road does take away from the experience a little bit.

Brian

Brian,

That's exactly where I got the idea to drill into my shield.  I looked at the CalSci and figured it would work equally well on the Vstream.

Dave

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »

PM sent.  :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Mike G

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:30 AM »
I see you have a solution already but if you are interested in trying a Laminar Lip I have one that's gathering dust in the basement.  I tried it as it came with the bike but couldn't tell any significant difference.  I am pretty sure I have extra Velcro pads too.  I'm in Geauga county so not close to Westerville but not real far either.(about 2hrs.)

My Madstad is arriving today and I hope that's the last shield I ever buy.  I have tried stock, stock with Laminar Lip, stock with flip cut off, Targa 21", Rifle 19", 17" and currently 14".  I like the rifle the best so far but still not crazy about the backpressure to turbulence ratio.  I have been able to get rid of one or the other but not both.

Mike G

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
I see you have a solution already but if you are interested in trying a Laminar Lip I have one that's gathering dust in the basement.  I tried it as it came with the bike but couldn't tell any significant difference.  I am pretty sure I have extra Velcro pads too.  I'm in Geauga county so not close to Westerville but not real far either.(about 2hrs.)

My Madstad is arriving today and I hope that's the last shield I ever buy.  I have tried stock, stock with Laminar Lip, stock with flip cut off, Targa 21", Rifle 19", 17" and currently 14".  I like the rifle the best so far but still not crazy about the backpressure to turbulence ratio.  I have been able to get rid of one or the other but not both.

Mike G

Thanks for the offer Mike I really appreciate it, the C14 is no longer in my possession however.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »

Mike G

where you at in Geauga...?
I'm over in Concord, and would be interested in seeing / trying some of those other shields...
I have a Laminar on my stock 08... it seems to help.

I just went to Madstad's wesite..... didn't see them for the C14.... you talking about a C10?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Mike G

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
Oops, my bad.  I didn't see the fist poster had a C14.  Yes the stuff I have is for a C10, sorry.

I'm in Auburn Township, howdy neighbor!