Author Topic: Which DS, if I were to take the plunge  (Read 21024 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Which DS, if I were to take the plunge
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »
Congrats!  I just took a new 1200GS for a demo ride last week and was very impressed by the power.  One thing that I was slightly concerned about was it really felt like it was getting blown around the highway compared to the connie.  Did you notice that or is it just something you get used to?  I had just driven my connie 30 miles to get to the BMW dealership so it may have just been an initial difference in riding position.

The Beemer is taller and lighter, so more affected by the wind. That Connie heaviness was an asset in a crosswind.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline TJ

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »
After owning my Tiger for a year I find myself riding it a lot more than my Concours. So much more I actually put the Concours up for sale. The Tiger has the smoothest gearbox and motor of any bike I've ever ridden.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
After spending the last few weeks testing the BMW R1200GS, Yamaha Super Tenere, and the Triumph Tiger Explorer XC, I decided it was time to let the Concours go and picked up the Triumph myself.  I loved the BMW's power, but it just didn't feel right, where I felt right at home on the Triumph.  It was sad to say goodbye to my Concours, but it was time for a change and the dealership gave me a trade that was damn near even to what I see some go for on Craigslist and here. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline TJ

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2014, 07:39:30 AM »
After spending the last few weeks testing the BMW R1200GS, Yamaha Super Tenere, and the Triumph Tiger Explorer XC, I decided it was time to let the Concours go and picked up the Triumph myself.  I loved the BMW's power, but it just didn't feel right, where I felt right at home on the Triumph.  It was sad to say goodbye to my Concours, but it was time for a change and the dealership gave me a trade that was damn near even to what I see some go for on Craigslist and here.

First farkle:) Install a Rox 2 inch riser. Enjoy

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
After owning my Tiger for a year I find myself riding it a lot more than my Concours. So much more I actually put the Concours up for sale. The Tiger has the smoothest gearbox and motor of any bike I've ever ridden.

:o :'(

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2014, 05:17:34 AM »
I might go with a Triumph next bike. The Explorer or the Trophy. Quite a bit more money though.
Joel from Maine.

Offline TJ

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »
The only complaint I have about the Tiger is first gear is to tall. If I was mainly riding under 65 mph I would swap out the front sprocket to change the gearing.
The 800 triple is one sweet and smooth shifting motor.

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »
Here's on on the showroom floor and one in my driveway.
Very Nice! At least you can actually ride your GS, unlike the new RT, in which BMW recently told owners Do Not Ride :o
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2014, 07:17:05 AM »
Very Nice! At least you can actually ride your GS, unlike the new RT, in which BMW recently told owners Do Not Ride :o

What was that about?

Offline CADMAN97

• 2010 C14 ABS
1998 Honda Magna--->Sold | 2003 Yamaha FZ1--->Sold | 2003 Honda VFR800--->Sold | 2010 Honda VFR1200--->Sold | Kawasaki C14--->SOLD | 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000--->Current | 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300ES--->Current

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
Rear Shock problem...

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/06/24/bmw-r1200rt-sport-tourer-long-term-test-intro-review-and-specifications/

Wow! Thanks for sharing. If I had new one of those I would be frustrated and pissed off in the extreme. Not being able to ride it during prime time summer....   :yikes:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
Just saw this in the comments of the Cycle World article, looks like BMW is going to take care of their customers,

"I have one and put on 5k miles before the stop ride order. I like it a lot. It's comfortable, handles nicely, has great weather protection and gets great mileage (54-56mpg at 60mph, high 40's at 70mph). The recall has not been announced yet but BMW has already offered 3 compensation choices (from cash offer to loaner bike to repurchasing the bike). That seems rather generous compared to other manufacturers! And don't forget that the shock problem appears to be a supplier QA issue not a design issue. This is my first BMW but, if they get the repair done in a timely fashion and write me a surprisingly large check, it won't be my last."

Son of Pappy

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2014, 08:04:31 PM »
FWIW, we had a 1200 GSA grenade the final drive this last weekend.  He got stuck riding my 450 EXC.  For some reason he had a ton of fun on the skinny bike :)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »
My riding buddy that went with the Triumph instead of the GS may finally be getting his back from the dealer. It's been there almost seven weeks due to a problem with the cooling fan. I believe he said it was a relay that died and he was told by the dealer last week that the part has been put on permanent backorder. That tells me that the're a problem with the part and they're re-engineering or looking for a replacement supplier or something. He told them to pull one off a bike on the showroom floor and put it in his. He was supposed to get the bike back today, but I've not talked with him.

Did anyone see the comparo in one of the bike rags this month (Motorcyclist maybe?) that compared the GSA, the KTM, Triumph, and the Super T? I haven't read it yet, but was told the KTM barely won out, the Triumph was a distant third, and the Yamaha was trash.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline TJ

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »
Owned my Tiger XC for a year now and not one thing has gone wrong with it. Consistently getting 50-57 mpg, sometimes more. Strange but I never even had to adjust the chain yet, it is still in spec.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:33 AM »

Did anyone see the comparo in one of the bike rags this month (Motorcyclist maybe?) that compared the GSA, the KTM, Triumph, and the Super T? I haven't read it yet, but was told the KTM barely won out, the Triumph was a distant third, and the Yamaha was trash.

Quite a different tune compared to the articles over the last two years where the Yamaha kept winning the shootouts.  I wish Kawasaki would enter the Adventure touring market, but alas, I guess I am going to have to cross over to another manufacturer.  I may start by adding a Triumph Thruxton to the stable.  If that happens then I am going to have to make room for some Triumph paraphernalia on the walls.  LOL!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline TJ

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »
Kawasaki has the KLR. They also just revised the suspension so it shouldn't bottom out anymore. You can find a new one for about $6,000 making it one of the best values in the motorcycle world today. There are a lot of bikes on the market that are faster but none more capable for the $$$. You can run them all day long at 70 mph then crawl along at 10 mph for days. If I wasn't such a speed junkie and lived at a lower elevation one would be in my garage as we speak.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 10:32:16 AM »
Kawasaki has the KLR. They also just revised the suspension so it shouldn't bottom out anymore. You can find a new one for about $6,000 making it one of the best values in the motorcycle world today. There are a lot of bikes on the market that are faster but none more capable for the $$$. You can run them all day long at 70 mph then crawl along at 10 mph for days. If I wasn't such a speed junkie and lived at a lower elevation one would be in my garage as we speak.

I had a highly modified '08 KLR.  Nice bike, but not an Adventure Touring bike.  Mine felt most comfortable under 60 mph.  Sure it could do more, but it and I didn't feel comfortable with the engine rpms.  Besides all the visual enhancements, it had the Doohicky upgrade, thermobob, Racetech GVE and springs, Cogent Moab rear shock.

I have my Versys set up like an Adventure bike, but I am now looking for more electronic aids like cruise control, ABS, and TPS.  Als well as places to strap down camping gear.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline TJ

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »
I agree, wouldn't want to run 75-80 all day on one. And I am with you about cruise control. I will NEVER buy another street bike without it.