Author Topic: The Dark Side  (Read 16552 times)

Offline Charlie747

The Dark Side
« on: May 12, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
I've had this addition to the fleet just shy of a year now and I've got to say..........

K16 = Tourer
GTR = Fun

Offline O.C.

Re: The Dark Side
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:06:43 AM »
Behave yourself Charlie...I'll be speaking with you ate the  gathering  ;D 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 04:19:20 AM »
Soooo, you let a year go by before you told us and since it's old news now that makes it ok?  ;)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
Congrats Charlie! Nice bike!

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »

I was expecting a car tire. 

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »
Soooo, you let a year go by before you told us and since it's old news now that makes it ok?  ;)

Man with big shinney swords known for some time lol

I chose to extend the fleet as I love my old war horse (GTR) others sold out and went Yamaha twin and other products before returning to a GTR !

I have not left like others.  A point I may well take up while extracting the urine from 1 x OC over many pints in a few weeks time lol

If the pair of us get our mutual act together we may at long last meet up for the first time at "Fun in the Forest"

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5246.0

And if you want a sweet sounding sofa with a gearbox that wakes the dead every change try a K16.

But if you want to play hard ball with the Howel of a devil stick to the GTR

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 04:18:32 PM »
Congrats Charlie! Nice bike!

Thanks Rhino......does not have the same adrenalin rush of our GTR

Well I feel embarrassed to admiting ownership of a Dark Side bike 😇

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 04:19:37 PM »
    I was expecting a car tire.

Mmmmmmm.............Rubber.........it must be Friday night lol

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 04:23:35 PM »
Anyway how do you know I wasn't talking about my MV in the back ground ?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »
I rather like that one.  The BMWs are too bloody ugly for my taste.. ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
I rather like that one.  The BMWs are too bloody ugly for my taste.. ::)

Have to agree with you on that one Jim lol

PS Yer starting to sound like PRD ! Lol

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 01:10:19 PM »
Ok so I must ask if you had to choose between the 2 which one would you keep? I keep going back and fourth thinking I want a k16gt to replace my 2013 GTR, for me it is my daily ride 6 months out of the year.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 06:27:01 PM »
Both are pratical every day shaft drive bikes with 150bhp+

Both bikes have very different qualities that make what on first glance appears to be the same solution to a question asked

The K16 ride quality is all day good with that 6cyl motor pulling well in the mid range. The steering is light accurate, the brakes strong with minimal dive but the suspension does rise and fall under acceleration, the gearbox is clunky and transmission noise is apparent.

The GTR is hard riding in comparison with a motor that once passed 6500rpm keeps building up its head of steam in an ever accelerating and increasing rush of induction noise exhaust howel and adrenalin.  The brakes are strong, the steering firm with feed back and a planted front end feel. The gearbox a sweet delight to use. The rear suspension is the best engineered solution on the market with zero torque reaction under any conditions.

Both are equipped with good lights, luggage and equipment as standard. The K16 can be optioned up but at considerable cost.

The K16 is a low input bike to ride. It's all midrange and low thought process to ride well. This is its strength and also it's weakness. Leaving you to enjoy the ride have fun but in a controlled way.

The GTR needs thought skill and at times physical input to ride well and make progress on. This can be its weakness but it is its biggest strength. This demand both physically and mentally coupled to the mid to top end rush makes the GTR the more exciting and rewarding bike to ride well with an inner warm glow of adrenaline and smile of satisfaction on your face every time you return from a ride.

The GTR also has at least 2 interactive and very supportive forums. This one and on my side of the pond

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php

Good banter, good support and info, good friendship.

The only K16 forum I'm on is ok but no humour / banter and new posts appear once in a blue moon.

GTR has few faults over its considerable production run..........the K16........where shall we start !

To answer your original question....................

I hope I never have to choose  :chugbeer:

Offline O.C.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 01:46:57 AM »
Man with big shinney swords known for some time lol

I chose to extend the fleet as I love my old war horse (GTR) others sold out and went Yamaha twin and other products before returning to a GTR !

I have not left like others.  A point I may well take up while extracting the urine from 1 x OC over many pints in a few weeks time lol

If the pair of us get our mutual act together we may at long last meet up for the first time at "Fun in the Forest"

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5246.0

And if you want a sweet sounding sofa with a gearbox that wakes the dead every change try a K16.

But if you want to play hard ball with the Howel of a devil stick to the GTR

Its gonna get messy Charlie my old mate  :chugbeer:
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:15:02 AM »

Its gonna get messy Charlie my old mate  :chugbeer:

Yer took yer time find this young Roger Dodger..................beers at 12 o'clock high............tally hoe............ :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline 1jeep

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
well this doesn't help me, sounds like the only thing I would gain is a higher comfort level.

If I only I could talk the wife into both bikes, but if I did then I think I would be looking at a 1200GSA instead.

Thanks.