Author Topic: South FL to Canada with a junk lens  (Read 12484 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
South FL to Canada with a junk lens
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
Ok, Canada just to drop in on a friend but I'm going mountain hopping all over the east part of our country and on to  Maine for Lobster. I'll post a few pics of the adventure in this thread along the way.

1st stop will be Saturday at a BBQ shack (literally) up in Georgia where they're hickory smokin' some HOG!  <thanks SteveJ>

The old junk lens I'm taking has a story though
A group of photographers across the country have been passing around an old lens and they sent it my way.  I'll use the junk lens and my amateurish back-up D80 Nikon body for the trip pics.

I opened the box and the ancient lens jumped out and flew on top of a beauty dish light modifier I had used on my last model shoot.

The old lens forced my cam to take a pic before i could set up decent studio lighting or tweak the white balance!?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: South FL to Canada with a junk lens
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
The Connie 14 beast is packed and ready to sling around some mountain roads, too bad for me the house sitter won't be here till tomorrow!

Of course its going to be a whole lot further the way I'm going.  "Interstates" to be kept to a minimal!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:44:43 AM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »
Hoping to shake some hands along the way

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »
Safe travels to ya Steve, post up some pics along the way bro!  :chugbeer:

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 07:19:08 AM »
Hope you have a great trip. I'll be looking out for you from Boston, Mass to Old Orchard Beach, Maine. If I am around and you are passing through feel free to stop in. I am in Wells, Maine.
Joel from Maine.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
Sweet, another interactive road trip thread! So where's the Spot page link?

Kidding, have a good ride Steve!  Be sure to update the thread as your adventure unfolds, or get someone to do it for you. 
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 07:32:11 PM »
QC50?
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
Neat trip. I just sent you a P.M. with my contact info. so if you get a chance maybe we can hook up in southern New England.

Brian

Ok, Canada just to drop in on a friend but I'm going mountain hopping all over the east part of our country and on to  Maine for Lobster. I'll post a few pics of the adventure in this thread along the way.

1st stop will be Saturday at a BBQ shack (literally) up in Georgia where they're hickory smokin' some HOG!  <thanks SteveJ>

The old junk lens I'm taking has a story though
A group of photographers across the country have been passing around an old lens and they sent it my way.  I'll use the junk lens and my amateurish back-up D80 Nikon body for the trip pics.

I opened the box and the ancient lens jumped out and flew on top of a beauty dish light modifier I had used on my last model shoot.

The old lens forced my cam to take a pic before i could set up decent studio lighting or tweak the white balance!?

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »
There is a Border- To- Border Insanity run which entails having to be present in all three countries (US, Canada and Mexico in any order) w/in 24 hours. Doing that on the east coast would be murder though as it is further between the northern and southern US borders than it is in, say, the middle of the country. 2,000 miles in 24 hours would be tough to do under any circumstances with US speed limits in place.

Brian

QC50?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline okxd45

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
Sounds like a fun ride!  I'm in Hershey, PA if you want to check out the attractions and meet a fellow Connie owner.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
I'm gojng to try my best to look you guys up soon!

So yesterday house sitter came around early and I met SteveJ and we went up to GA for lunch at the shack by the track.  SteveJ plotted my course out west coast (and even new dirt short cuts in Utah and we're in FL) and colorado last year and helped me with Maine this year. I appreciate it too.  After a huge lunch he went back south and I went North.

DAMN this  Shack by the Track place is good.  And of course real hickory.  not mesquite like out west, or OAK and PALM tree like FL................ just real Hickory smoke. Pic of SteveJ:

I was there too

I went through GA it was 110 degrees.  Everyone thats been through the badlands of OK or the desert of AZ realizes mesh is no good (gloves or jacket).  Its like riding through a blow torch at speed.  Leather or textile  is a must. I was skeptical of the RS Taichi jacket when I left Tampa, but was thanking God I had it when I got in that heat.  Kept the heat blast off perfectly while letting a draft flow through.  I'm now sold on the brand.  Today wasn't as bad as yesterday since I made it to the mountains.  I did too many places in NC/TN to list. Was in the saddle 13 hours of all back country mtn roads: Gap/ Cheroholla/LOCALS ROADS/Asheville/Boone/Blowing Rock/ The mad HWY 181 (and more locals roads) and tonight I'm in Hickory before meeting a lady tomorrow for breakfast.  Again the jacket rocks, and it got special attention!

Sweet rest area on the blue ridge parkway (on a rare part of the parkway plenty of places to pass we ride), of all the times I've been past it I never stopped and looked at it

Stopped on a backroad and took a "break" by a zombie building.  Would it have been wrong to steal these old horseshoes? 

"StudioS"!   This photography studio is different than the ones in Tampa I shoot in.  I appreciate boudoir customers walking on pavement in their heels instead of the dirt this guy has for an extrance but hey if he makes it work thats great.

We were railing the bikes outside of Boone and before we could think about pulling over to don rain gear we were in a hailstorm from hell. Sounded like machine gun fire hitting my helmet.  The jacket got it first soaking =)

Tomorrow I'm doing the 421 SNAKE and then some extreme sweet  twisties of WV.  And that state is the best kept secret ever. I'm still amazed it hasn't been infiltrated by squids, tourist riders, and hardly-ablesons

Then Tuesday gonna blister some pavement and get to the Catskills to watch nephews play a baseball tournament

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
Very cool!  :thumbs:

Keep the pics coming Steve... 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 12:20:38 PM »
Safe travels and good times Steve!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 12:39:32 PM »
Have fun in WV, I know I had a blast there last year.  And you are right it is a well kept secret because I don't think I saw more than 20 vehicles outside of towns the whole day I was riding through the hills and hollers.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 06:38:09 AM »
Have fun in WV, I know I had a blast there last year.  And you are right it is a well kept secret because I don't think I saw more than 20 vehicles outside of towns the whole day I was riding through the hills and hollers.

+1

you're giving away the top secret. And the road between Marion VA to Tazewell to Welch VA is incredible  :D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 06:40:15 AM »
Thanks guys

I road backroads of NC/TN/VA/WV and then interstate through a small piece of Maryland and PA.  600 miles of mostly switchbacks. Wow what a day it was. WV is incredible every time I ride it.

Few pics, can't post process on this crappy laptop monitor but saving the raw files for when I get back.

Hickory  to the Snake

Then I hit the real backroads, routes plotted into GPS and way off the main roads.  OK so this guy in the country is raising fighting gamecocks. Wish I'd have brought my zoom lens.

On a back road from hell in WV and came up on an abandoned zombie school, real cracks in the columns and all going on

Was turned on to "the hangout in Welch, WV".  It says Drive - in, but everyone is inside socializing. Made some new friends there, I'll be back =)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 06:41:53 AM »
Stopped here in Cooperstown,my nephew from the Carolinas is up here in a baseball tournament. He hit a home run as I arrived from a long ride from PA and was walking up to field # 4, good times!

Spending the 4th with them, then on to the Adirondack mountains and the Canada

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
+1

you're giving away the top secret. And the road between Marion VA to Tazewell to Welch VA is incredible  :D

Nah, just a bunch of old Kawi riders on here, I wouldn't mind sharing a great road with anybody around these parts.................... as long as they don't mind riding like their hair is on fire.  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »
Went by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum between nephew's tournament games.  Glad Tyler hit a homer here, Uncle Steve got the shirt!

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »
Went by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum between nephew's tournament games.  Glad Tyler hit a homer here, Uncle Steve got the shirt!

Cool Shirt.

Gonna wear it to the next RTE?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)