Author Topic: Final drive coupling stuck to wheel  (Read 2216 times)

Offline SmokinRZ

Final drive coupling stuck to wheel
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:04 AM »
Anyone ever have this issue?  I used to remove this on my C10 every tire change and clean and grease.  First tire change on my new to me 08 C14 and the thing is stuck in there and yes I did remove the big wire clip.  I even tried knocking it out from the back side.  It's the same part number as the C10 so it should just fall out like on the C10.  I thought I would check-in first before I get rough with it.       
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:51:00 AM by SmokinRZ »
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline Justcliff

Re: Final drive coupling stuck to sheel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:09:37 PM »
I'm not quite understanding what's stuck. Can you clarify?
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Final drive coupling stuck to sheel
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:01:21 AM »
Are you talking about the rubber cush drive?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SmokinRZ

Re: Final drive coupling stuck to wheel
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:50:43 AM »
Yes, the cush drive.  I've owned two C10s and they just pulled right out after removing the retaining ring.  This thing is really stuck.     
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 06:38:30 AM »
I've never tried or felt the need to remove the cush drive. So I can't help you, sorry. Never had any problems either out of mine, but then mine only has a 197,000 miles on it. I always just clean & grease the drive splines at tire changes.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 04:24:45 PM »
Why would you want to remove the cush drive?  To inspect it?  It is just rubber, I would think you could just visually inspect with it in-place, no?  I don't think it wears much or needs servicing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 05:42:54 PM »
I used to clean it along with the drive splines on the final drive every tire change on the C10, and then coat the drive splines with Honda Moly 60.  These have worn out on several C10's to the point of no forward motion and mine was about 30% worn at 55K miles.  It is the same part number for the C10 and C14.  A sacrificial design as the drive splines don't wear.  Anyway, I was just trying to remove it to clean in my typical anal fashion.  If it's that hard to remove I will just leave it alone.               
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 05:51:47 PM »
Maybe a picture would help us because I am confused.
 Normally we remove the wheel and that is it. You grease the spline teeth and put the wheel back on.
No need to remove a ring.
Glad to hear your using the correct grease  :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
This little jewel  ;D  A lot easier to scrub when it's not attached to the wheel.
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 11:41:15 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 02:09:01 PM »
I replaced the cush drive in mine a few years ago.  It wasn't difficult to remove or to replace.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »
I replaced the cush drive in mine a few years ago.  It wasn't difficult to remove or to replace.

Yours was damaged or worn?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 03:50:58 AM »
Yes, it was worn compared to the new one I put in.   Also had stress cracks.  If you pay attention to your rear wheel, you might see black dust collecting in spots.  That black dust is coming from the cush drive.  I would think the more you thrash a bike, the more likely it could fail over time.  If you are a more gentle rider then it would probably last the life of the bike.  I just did mine because I was concerned over the dust collecting and I was going to have the wheel off for a tire change.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 07:09:01 AM »
Yes, it was worn compared to the new one I put in.   Also had stress cracks.  If you pay attention to your rear wheel, you might see black dust collecting in spots.  That black dust is coming from the cush drive.  I would think the more you thrash a bike, the more likely it could fail over time.  If you are a more gentle rider then it would probably last the life of the bike.  I just did mine because I was concerned over the dust collecting and I was going to have the wheel off for a tire change.

I have seen such dust, but assumed it was road grime/brake dust.   Thanks for the additional info.

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 08:52:06 PM »
I got  it out, it had been nesting in there for 10 years and was being stubborn.  I had to spray inside with silicone and pound it out from the back side with some old QA50 foot pegs and a BFH.  Not my preferred method but no damage done.  I got everything cleaned up it should slip out by hand next time.  If you have ever owned a BMW, you become spline sensitive.   ;D               
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS