Author Topic: Scotchguard...or not?  (Read 5570 times)

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Scotchguard...or not?
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »
We just got new riding jackets and pants...they have a zip-out, quilted liner in each piece...and contain a waterproof membrane internally in each piece.  They are lighter colors than I have worn in the past (silver & white), and I am thinking about spraying some Scotchguard on the outside fabric to help keep them clean...any input?  Anybody done this in the past? 
'02 C-10

Offline BackInTheSaddle

Re: Scotchguard...or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »
I would say yes.  It will help keep clothes clean and bugs/schmutz will come off easier.  They make an Outdoor formula, I think a green can, if you can find it.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline booger

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Yep,  I Scotchguard when I purchase new.

I also have my jackets professionally cleaned every year and re-Scotchguard.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
Nikwax.............and I rather enjoy the dirt, guts and road grime on my gear....shows how much I ride and enjoy riding. :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »
If you're so inclined, there is also a product you can find over in the camping dept. at WalMart that is a type of silicone spray.  It's for waterproofing camping gear.  It's a bit cheaper than scotchguard.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:51 AM »
Camp Dry. It works well but tends to darken colors a bit. To the maker's credit it states same on the can.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:09:58 AM »
Nikwax.............and I rather enjoy the dirt, guts and road grime on my gear....shows how much I ride and enjoy riding. :thumbs:

That's really strange, well maybe not.  I just washed my mesh jacket last year but I miss the 'odor' it had.  It felt 'comfortable', I guess.  It will take me several years of riding to get that back.  I also like the smell of motor oil mixed into asphalt, engines and machinery, and gasoline (the old stuff, not this new concoction they have now).
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »
That's really strange, well maybe not.  I just washed my mesh jacket last year but I miss the 'odor' it had.  It felt 'comfortable', I guess.  It will take me several years of riding to get that back.  I also like the smell of motor oil mixed into asphalt, engines and machinery, and gasoline (the old stuff, not this new concoction they have now).

:goodpost:

One of my favorite smells is 2-stroke bikes, call me crazy but man I love that smell...  :P

Offline graham downunder

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
My favourite smell is Castrol "R"  from speedway bikes .

Scothgaurd or Teflon are great products commonly refered to as fabric or carpet protector and you can buy them in bulk from carpet cleaning supply places I think they are about $50 for 1 gallon of concentrate that you break down about 4 to 8 times  depending on what you are using them on . Some are water based some are solvent based get the water based .

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »
problem is that many of those products are not friendly to the Goretex membrane living inside....and they only "coat" the outer hlaf of the threads diameter, rendering a shortlived, surface...
Best product I have found is Granger wash in protectant from Aerostich, I have used it to re-establish the original OEM qualities on my stich a couple times, I highly recommend using it in lieu of "spritzing stuff" on... you have to dry the garment when you use the Granger product, it permeats and completly saturates the threads...the dryer cures the chemicals... good stuff..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:44:55 AM »
I used Atsko Silicone Water-Guard.  I didn't get wet until about a year after I applied it but it didn't work.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"