Author Topic: Ceramic Paint Protectant  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Ceramic Paint Protectant
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »
Just curious if anyone has had a ceramic coating done to their bike. I just had it done to my truck. While I was there I asked about coating bikes. The detailer said he has coated lots of bikes. Supposedly everything, including bugs rinses right off. The coating can be applied to everything. Paint, plastic, metal, windscreen, wheels, trim, even exhaust. It seals the surface leaving a hydrophobic barrier that very little will stick to. It was amazing how the rain just rolled right off every surface of my truck. After sitting outside in the rain, my truck had no water spots!

If anyone has had this done, please post up and let me know your opinion on it. I’m thinking the scratch resistance and ease of cleaning would make it worth it. What do you think?

They did some minor paint correction and polished the truck prior to applying the ceramic coating. The results are unbelievable! Check out my walk around video of my truck. It is only 2 minutes long. If you are really impatient, fast forward to the drivers side. The reflection of the trees and driveway in the paint looks like a mirror!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhO3kKOeMo
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:30:33 PM by Poseidon »
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline FTB530

Re: Ceramic Paint Protectant
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
How much did the coating cost on your truck? I have a 17 Silverado, had the interior detailed a few months ago and the guy did a excellent job, looked as good as off the showroom, I asked him about the ceramic coating for my Concours and he told mr $300 , I’ll probably have it done with tax refund money , depending on cost maybe the truck too!

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 06:41:39 PM »
Paint correction, polishing and ceramic coating was $800. Looks better than new now! They have a new truck just like mine at the dealership. Mine has a lot better gloss and depth to it and a perfect mirror finish. Couldn’t be happier with the results. That is what got me thinking about getting the bikes coated. $250 for a bike here.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline katata1100

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:56:48 PM »
I can get the same gloss , if not better, with Collonite and it does everything ceramic does, for $15 and the bottle lasts a long time.
If you really want to protect your paint, get paint vinyl sheets for it. I had the entire front and fender of my c14 done, along with sides and fronts of saddlebags.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 05:14:11 AM »
I can get the same gloss , if not better, with Collonite and it does everything ceramic does, for $15 and the bottle lasts a long time.
If you really want to protect your paint, get paint vinyl sheets for it. I had the entire front and fender of my c14 done, along with sides and fronts of saddlebags.

Carnauba wax has to be reapplied a few times a year, does not protect against swirl marks and light scratches and does not provide the same hydrophobic properties as ceramic coating. It also doesn’t last as long as ceramic coatings, which can last 5-7 years on daily drivers or even longer is some cases. Try applying carnauba wax once every 5 years and see how your paint looks!

Vinyl clear bras provide better protection from rocks and road debris than ceramic, but have to be removed and reapplied periodically. They also do not provide the same other prosperities as ceramic coating.

If you want the best protection and ease of cleaning, ceramic coatings can be applied over vinyl clear bras like what you have.

The ceramic coating is not what produces the gloss. The paint correction and polishing that was done before the ceramic was applied is what created the gloss. Ceramic coating seals the paint and protects it after. Carnauba wax will give you a great gloss. I’ve always used it on other vehicles. It doesn’t provide everything that ceramic does tho.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 10:06:05 AM »
You say that ceramic gets the gloss from the prep done to the paint?
Uh, we who own dual orbital polishers have been doing that for years.
I have a  red ‘06 GTO which has klasse polymer topped with Collinite that has so much
shine that the garage walls have a red tinge.
Car “coatings” that promise to last years have been around for decades, car dealers love to sell them as high $ Mark up.
Spending hundreds on this junk is like flushing dollar bills.
Plastic film doesn’t have to be reapplied periodically ( who makes this stuff up?).
I brought it up because this ceramic junk is supposed to be some of protector. Really? Against what???
Swirl marks? Swirl marks are caused by improper washing and drying techniques. Swirl marks can be removed easily with 3m and DA. Apply film and call it a day.
Wind blown sand and rocks? Nope, won’t protect.
After the front plastic on my c14 was replaced in an accident, I had it all covered with clear bra.After four years, still looks like new, not a single flaw. You want to protect the paint? Cover the entire front end, sides and front of bags with clear bra stuff. I have the film that if it gets a nasty pick from a rock, just heat with blow drier and smooth out. The ceramic stuff would leave you with a nice large chip.
My wife has film on her six year old Mazda. She drove into some hedge which destroyed the vinyl. Cost $125 to replace. Had she no plastic ( and maybe just “ceramic polish”!) she’d need to have the area repainted!

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 12:27:57 AM »
Not everyone has the time, equipment or experience to do profesional level detailing. My main reason for getting the ceramic coating is for the ease of cleaning, how it stays clean longer, and protection against light scratches as it is harder than the clear coat. A large portion of what I paid for was the profesional level detailing, paint correction for the improper washing the dealership did prior to me purchasing the truck, and polishing of the paint. This is not cheap when you have someone else do it. If you have the time, equipment, ability and skill set to do this yourself and have to repeat it at sometime in the future, it’s not a big deal I guess. For the rest of us, we want to make it last as long as possible. I prefer to spend more time riding and less time detailing. I also want my vehicles to look good. Only time I have to spend on my bikes is weekends and vacation time. I don’t want to be spending hours of the little time I have detailing.

One thing I didn’t mention was that my truck had been rained on one day. And been in the snow a couple of days later and had not been washed prior to the video I posted. Despite this, there isn’t a single water spot on it. Mostly because the water will not sit on it. Water not only beads up the way it does with wax, it rolls completely off the paint leaving it instantly dry.

One of the reasons I am considering ceramic on my bikes, mainly the M109 and Magnum, is because ceramic coatings can be applied to chrome an heat does not effect it. It can be applied to the chrome exhaust sealing in the polishing once it is done. That is something neither wax nor vinyl can do.

I may try the clear bra to the front of the Concours and then ceramic coat over it. I still want the hydrophobic properties ceramic offers for the ease of cleaning.

When I said that clear bras have to be removed and replaced periodically, I was referring to the fact that they are taking the beating from rocks and debris. Also, envirmental contaminants will get down into the films surface similarly to the way it does waxes and clear coat if left exposed.  I have no doubt it provides better protection than ceramic coatings. After all, that was the sole purpose it was originally designed for!

Ceramic coatings are not the same as the “paint protectants” dealers would apply and upcharge for in the past, or the Teflon coatings of the recent past. Both of which was a way for dealers to mark up the price of new vehicles. Ceramic actually works and lasts. Just make sure you know what it’s intended purpose is before you have it done.

Bottom line is that there are options out there for protecting the finish on your cars, trucks, and bikes. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. You have to research it and pick the one that is best for your application, and budget.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 06:32:35 AM »
If anyone has had this done, please post up and let me know your opinion on it. I’m thinking the scratch resistance and ease of cleaning would make it worth it. What do you think?

Well it's starting to look like you are the resident expert. However I'm going to stay tuned because if this stuff is really that great, then I'm interested. I love my bike, but I hate washing it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »
+2
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 11:40:29 AM »
Heck you can even coat the window glass.   Wonder if it works on screens?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
Heck you can even coat the window glass.   Wonder if it works on screens?

Undoubtedly does, as long as the screen paint has been properly professionally paint corrected and polished. I wouldn't want that job.