Author Topic: City lights not working  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Silverbullet65

City lights not working
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »
I just put in a new battery and removed an old unplugged piaa light harness that was still connected to the battery ... I buttoned everything back up and the left city light was out... The bike started and the headlights and gps works but now after switching bulbs to test... Both city lights are out now
Can I still run the bike without the city lights?
Thoughts?
Safety is no accident

Offline connie14boy

Re: City lights not working
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:27:21 PM »
I just put in a new battery and removed an old unplugged piaa light harness that was still connected to the battery ... I buttoned everything back up and the left city light was out... The bike started and the headlights and gps works but now after switching bulbs to test... Both city lights are out now
Thoughts?

Without the City lights you will have to ride in the country now..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 06:46:52 AM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:50:31 AM »
If the bulbs replaced are new and it still doesn't work something in the wiring is wonky.  I don't think that they are on a separate fuse.  Check for voltage on the connector to them either with a test light or a meter.  I don't have a wiring diagram handy at the moment unfortunately.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Silverbullet65

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:24:29 AM »
Really appreciate info
If you have time
To speak over the phone?
Safety is no accident

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:22:04 AM »
. I buttoned everything back up and the left city light was out... The bike started and the headlights and gps works but now after switching bulbs to test... Both city lights are out now
Thoughts?
1) You can run the bike without City lights, assuming they are the only thing not working.

2) My first guess is they both just burned out (assuming you have the original filament bulbs, and the one that was working was about to go when you messed with it) and as usual check the simple things first. If you have a License plate light and a tail light/Brake light working then I'd check the city light bulbs for continuity and or replace the bulbs as those four (city;plate;tail;brake) are on the same circuit. If the tail light/brake light and the plate light aren't working then check the tail light fuse. Then when all that is checked is when I'd move on to the fun process of checking circuit wiring. If you find that the city light bulbs are in fact burned out then you might as well get a plate light as well as it'll go soon.

LEDs would be a better replacement option for all if that turns out to be the problem, just remember most LED bulbs are polarity sensitive and if they don't work when first installed, turn them around in the socket before giving up on them if they can be installed more than one way (e.g. city lights).

Offline Silverbullet65

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
Hey Marty
I shorted something
These lights were new
Thoughts?
772-323-4257
Thanks Brian
Safety is no accident

Offline Silverbullet65

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 01:07:31 PM »
You were right Marty
Thanks a jillion!!!!
I didn’t realize the fuse was different
Than the headlight!
Once I changed the fuse I found a pinched wire on the left city light
I found some nice blue leds from
Walmart
Happy now
Your the best☘️
Safety is no accident

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
You were right Marty  Thanks a jillion!!!!  I didn’t realize the fuse was different Than the headlight!
Once I changed the fuse I found a pinched wire on the left city light

Yay!!!

I found some nice blue leds from Walmart

Oh, well, displaying blue lights on a "normal" vehicle is illegal.  I wouldn't recommend that because you are giving every LEO a great excuse to pull you over.  Much better to use yellow.  Not only legal, but it helps with being seen (since they don't just blend into the headlights).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Silverbullet65

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 08:59:06 PM »
Your absolutely right...just found that out
(The easy way) heehee
Thanks bud
Safety is no accident

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 05:40:05 PM »
You were right Marty
Thanks a jillion!!!!

Your the best☘️

Well just to save my image as an asshat, "your the best" should read "you're the best". There my image is restored.   8)  ;D

However, you're most welcome and comeback any time and let us guess about your problems. Wishing a safe ride(s) and no more problems.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 07:06:30 AM »
Well just to save my image as an asshat, "your the best" should read "you're the best". There my image is restored.   8)  ;D

However, you're most welcome and comeback any time and let us guess about your problems. Wishing a safe ride(s) and no more problems.

I never had any doubts Marty!

To the OP, Silverbullet65. Check these out, they work great and are the color you'll want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GYMOZ0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 09:11:42 AM »
Plug and play?

To the OP, Silverbullet65. Check these out, they work great and are the color you'll want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GYMOZ0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/quote]
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
Plug and play?

Yes.  I have them myself.  (On Maxtog’s recommendation)   JDMAstars leds are very good quality. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »

+1

Those are exactly what I am using.  They were cheap, brighter than incandescent, perfect color (yellow), fit, and have worked flawlessly for 2.5 years now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
 Wish I would have did this when I had most of the plastic off.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »
Wish I would have did this when I had most of the plastic off.

You don't need the plastics off.  It is just a single trap door above the front fender.  Takes only a few minutes to remove (I think it is couple of screws and a couple of plastic rivets).

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 07:05:12 AM »
You don't need the plastics off.  It is just a single trap door above the front fender.  Takes only a few minutes to remove (I think it is couple of screws and a couple of plastic rivets).

+1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 01:25:14 PM »
Thanks guys. I just had that off so it will be easy peasy!

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1