Author Topic: 12V power socket  (Read 3110 times)

Offline gtr a14

12V power socket
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »
Just fitted a 12v waterproof power socket,  for satnav and mobile phone.
 Easy to fit,Prety handy too.!

Offline julianop

Re: 12V power socket
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
Very nice.

Original owner of my 2006 put a huge red volt meter in that spot. I wish I dim the bloody thing, it's way too bright at night. There's a purple wire coming out of it but I don't know what it's for. No mfr markings on it either, so I don't know where to go to find out.

Is that the BMW Powerlet style?
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:25:07 AM »
Hi, it is "BMW" style, i actualy bought it from my local Marine/boat suppliers, it claims to be 100% waterproof, (guess it would be for a boat :) ) and seems real good so far.

Not sure about voltmeter though..

I keep a 12v compressor in saddlebag so this lets me inflate tyres without having to get at the battery.

enim57

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »
I fitted one to my dual sport. Good for pumping up airbed, tyre compressor, charging phone, etc. It's unswitched with a fuse so is always live but is neatly tucked out of the way and not obvious. Can also charge the battery via it.
A well spent $10.

Regards, Russell

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
Very nice.

Original owner of my 2006 put a huge red volt meter in that spot. I wish I dim the bloody thing, it's way too bright at night. There's a purple wire coming out of it but I don't know what it's for. No mfr markings on it either, so I don't know where to go to find out.

Is that the BMW Powerlet style?
Stop at a window tinting shop and get yourself a scrap piece of window tint for it. I would think for free, maybe??
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)