Author Topic: Tire Sealant and Pressure Sensors  (Read 3139 times)

Offline SANDPSYCHO

Tire Sealant and Pressure Sensors
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:56:35 PM »
I have a slow leak in my rear tire. The hole is so small I can't see it but it makes little bubbles. I would have to get a drill and hope I hit the right spot to plug it. So can I use a tire sealant and not damage the pressure sensors?

Offline feelergaugephil

Re: Tire Sealant and Pressure Sensors
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I used that green stuff, held air then it ate the tire sensor, I had to buy a new sensor, warranty would not cover it.....
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:00:54 AM »
Big no on any sealer, just plug it if you can.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »
Slime sells a type of sealant that's safe for pressure sensors. safe in the sense that you can wash off the sealant from the sensor when you replace your tyre.
in any case, those tyre sealants are meant for a temporary fix, till you get your tyres replaced.

i'd rather patch the tyre from inside if possible.

Offline CARLÃO

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:40:02 AM »
Sealants are hard to apply correctly, in most cases, they make the motorcycle unstable at the curves.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
If your anywhere near Colorado Springs I could pull the tire for you and patch it from the inside.

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
It's the stock tire and has maybe a couple thousand miles or less left on it. If I go to the trouble to take it off it's not going back on. I just have other thing I'm spending money on right now.  In our off road cars we use a coolent and AlumAseal mix. It doesn't eat aluminum like Slim does and works great. The hole is so small I can't see it and is more irritating then anything. Guess I'll have to get new tires sooner the latter. ;D

Thanks everyone

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »
Get rid of those stock tires, with new tires it will feel like a new bike again.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
Get rid of those stock tires, with new tires it will feel like a new bike again.

+1

When I finally chewed through the stock POS's, I popped my usual Michelin Pilot Road 2's on there (that's all I ran on my VFRs) and was happy as a clam again!