Author Topic: Another Oil thread...  (Read 16450 times)

Offline rcannon409

Re: Another Oil thread...
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
I also had notchy shifting when I used the 5w-40 T6, but since I have switched to 15w-40 Rotella I have had ZERO problems with how the shifter feels.  $13 per gallon, I can't argue with it.

Me too.  I did nto try the 15-40 in my c14, btu it was awful in my yz250 and sv650.  So what gives> How the hell can rated, high quality oil cause shifting notches..for lack of a better word.   I know it sounds nuts, btu I tried this oil in each bike multiple times..nto believing what I found.

I run that rotella diesel rated in my work van..one gas, and one diesel.  The gas engine van gets turned back this month due t it havign 307,000 miles on it.  It runs well, and does not use oil, and several of us offered to buy it. Oil change intervals were 15,000 miles, or once per month...if the driver remembered, or was nto too busy.In a ford e350.  I KNOW its good oil.

The diesel e350 is just broken in at 188,000. It is time up on that, but I'm keeping it another year just for fun. Damn thing needed an alternator at 160k and I want my moneys worth! LOL

Offline scooter

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
you are correct spec sheets dont lie.but are they comparing diesel oil ran in high performance bikes? i work in a diesel shop and diesel engines run at  a very lower rpm range then most motorcycles. we send oil in for examination all the time most fleets require it. diesels dont have a wet clutch either and hold 10 gallons of oil compared to 1 gallon for a bike. im just saying for a couple bucks a gallon why change.i would say keeping your oil clean is the best thing you can do and use a high quality motorcycle oil of your choice is best.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 10:38:57 PM »
you are correct spec sheets dont lie.but are they comparing diesel oil ran in high performance bikes? i work in a diesel shop and diesel engines run at  a very lower rpm range then most motorcycles. we send oil in for examination all the time most fleets require it. diesels dont have a wet clutch either and hold 10 gallons of oil compared to 1 gallon for a bike. im just saying for a couple bucks a gallon why change.i would say keeping your oil clean is the best thing you can do and use a high quality motorcycle oil of your choice is best.

Do as you wish, thousands of motorcyclists run the stuff with zero issues "me included". And the moto oil companies love guys like you, you need to look at oil analysis from bikes running the fleet oils before you poo poo it. ;)

And the answer to the question you asked is YES.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Fretka

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »

+1    Smart man.
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 10:48:07 AM »

Do as you wish, thousands of motorcyclists run the stuff with zero issues "me included". And the moto oil companies love guys like you, you need to look at oil analysis from bikes running the fleet oils before you poo poo it. ;)

And the answer to the question you asked is YES.
Heck, some even run car tires ;)

Fear not naysayers, notchy shifting is THE ONLY thing KIPASS will not cure, thus, the need for monthly oil threads ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
Yeah, I have not found why some oils cause this bike to shift better than some others. It seems to be EP (extreme pressure lubricant) related but I don't know for sure. It also seems that different users have different experience with regard to which oil(s) their particular C-14 responds to best.

The best oils I have found for shifting are plain ole' Pennzoil or Valvoline 10W-40.... the plain auto, mineral oils. The good quality shifting does not last very long with those oils though and by 1,000 miles it is notchy again. Rotella 15W-40 retains its better shifting qualities for better than 3K miles, at least in my bike. With fresh oil the Rotella does not shift as well as Pennzoil but by the time the oil has a few hundred miles on it the Rotella is superior.

Somebody ought to do a study.... :-)

Brian

Me too.  I did nto try the 15-40 in my c14, btu it was awful in my yz250 and sv650.  So what gives> How the hell can rated, high quality oil cause shifting notches..for lack of a better word.   I know it sounds nuts, btu I tried this oil in each bike multiple times..nto believing what I found.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
Just to ensure everyone knows the op did not disappear but is reading each and every post and then re-reading them to pull out any pertinent information and I am finding some good info.  I am very surprised at the lack of crap or jokes though... It is a level or two down from normal.   :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:  lol

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »
Well, you just provided a chuckle or two by saying the words 'pertinent information' within the confines of an oil thread. The very definition of an oxymoron.

;D

In our defense though there have been a rash of oil and oil filter threads here and on the other site lately so we are probably worn down due to overexposure. We promise to try harder in the future.

Brian

Just to ensure everyone knows the op did not disappear but is reading each and every post and then re-reading them to pull out any pertinent information and I am finding some good info.  I am very surprised at the lack of crap or jokes though... It is a level or two down from normal.   :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:  lol
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
+1    Smart man.

Really......explain?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 08:22:01 PM »
Yeah, I have not found why some oils cause this bike to shift better than some others. It seems to be EP (extreme pressure lubricant) related but I don't know for sure. It also seems that different users have different experience with regard to which oil(s) their particular C-14 responds to best.

The best oils I have found for shifting are plain ole' Pennzoil or Valvoline 10W-40.... the plain auto, mineral oils. The good quality shifting does not last very long with those oils though and by 1,000 miles it is notchy again. Rotella 15W-40 retains its better shifting qualities for better than 3K miles, at least in my bike. With fresh oil the Rotella does not shift as well as Pennzoil but by the time the oil has a few hundred miles on it the Rotella is superior.

Somebody ought to do a study.... :-)

Brian

I think that this boils down to the dino oils using more VI additives to make the summer grade in that a 10W40 needs more VI to make 40 than say a 15W40 does. It is long proven that the VI additives are the first thing to break down in an oil and thus the deterioration of shift quality as the oil ages. Then you have synthetic oils which by nature don't need any where near the VI to make or maintain grade when hot so some synthetic oils such as 5W40 may not really improve shift quality for some riders whereas an oil such as 15W50 will due to the base oil being a 15 over a 5 and much thicker.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Fretka

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »

Really......explain?

When we have some very knowledgeable people like the S.A.E. and the designers, metallurgists etc.. doing our oil research for us.... why worry? Read the directions in your owners manual and save the verbal thrashing for something more appropriate like car tires on your bike.
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »

I have been puzzled for years about the reports of "notchy" shifting here; one because I had never experienced "notchy" shifting and two I don't understand the implied correlation between oil "quality" and  shifting performance. Lubrication of the simple mechanical moving parts of the shifting mechanisms would seem to demand many many times less lubrication/oil quality than parts like cam lobes, crank bearings, pistons rings and cylindar walls. So it seems to me if your oil has broken down to the pint that it can't properly lubricate the shift mehanisms than you engine should be toast.

So what causes poor shift quality or "notchy" shifting? I think  it can only be three things, misadjusted shift lever or clutch lever, inadequate hydraulic pressure or clutch drag due to excess oil viscosity Have you ever started a cold bike and noticed with the clutch pulled fully and in first gear the bike wants to creep forward? That is clutch drag. It usually goes away when the oil warms up.

So when a batch of oil starts to get old what is it that causes poor shifting. In my view it can't be loss of viscosity. Prove me wrong please.

Interestingly enough, other than hydraulic pressure problems or misadjusted  levers I had never in 40+ years experienced poor shift quality in any motorcycle until I tried some Motul V300 15W50, considered an excellent synthetic motorcycle specific oil, in my C14. Very minor but it is noticeable.  However,  there is now no change after draining the Motul and going back to Rotell T6 5W40 so it could be that my nearly 5 year old, 83000 mile Concours is past her prime.

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »
+1    Smart man.
Really......explain?
When we have some very knowledgeable people like the S.A.E. and the designers, metallurgists etc.. doing our oil research for us.... why worry? Read the directions in your owners manual and save the verbal thrashing for something more appropriate like car tires on your bike.
Ah, now we have an oil thread.  It really isn't an "oil thread" until we start snipping at each other.

Like most of motorcycling, it usually comes back to risk management.  Whether debating gear, oil, tires, brands, or whatever, hard use and infrequent changes tend to the the hardest on the bike or rider.  With gentle use and more frequent replacement, we can be happy with an even wider variety of choices most of the time.

The engineers and manufactures seem to have done well enough for us to be able to enjoy our off-spec deviations and still get good results.  Most of our quibbling is about ideal vs optimal, rather than acceptable vs disastrous.  I, for one, am grateful for that.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
I think that is a pretty good thought Tony. VI additives are basically plastic and shear fairly easily and quickly. They may also provide an intermediate surface for the shifting forks to ride on making shifting easier. ???

EP additives in the form of ZDDP also seem to be a big factor- adding them to the oil makes an immediate difference as well as improving the shifting quality after a lot of miles accumulate on the oil.

Brian

I think that this boils down to the dino oils using more VI additives to make the summer grade in that a 10W40 needs more VI to make 40 than say a 15W40 does. It is long proven that the VI additives are the first thing to break down in an oil and thus the deterioration of shift quality as the oil ages. Then you have synthetic oils which by nature don't need any where near the VI to make or maintain grade when hot so some synthetic oils such as 5W40 may not really improve shift quality for some riders whereas an oil such as 15W50 will due to the base oil being a 15 over a 5 and much thicker.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »
Yep, that advice works too I think. Still, it is an interesting subject and who knows, we just might learn something by accident.

I would not count on S.A.E. members doing much- I've spent a bunch of time with some of those folks and their long suit seems to be alcohol consumption..... at least in my experience. :-)  The field of study that encompasses motor oil and its use would be tribology. A fairly new field, it is gaining ground in quite a few engineering schools (falling under the mechanical engineering dept. 'cause the Che folks won't touch it   :D ).

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »
Speaking only for myself, I use the word 'notchy' to describe shifting that takes more effort, can be felt dragging while moving between gears, and has definite resistance to the start of movement. The C-14 seems particularly sensitive and variable regarding shifting feel; sometimes it is almost like the shift lever is not connected to anything (little to no resistance, no resistance to starting the fork moving, and no real feel of anything until the fork hits an internal stop) and other times it feels very mechanical, takes noticeably more effort, and sometimes feels like it would like to stop moving a bit short of fully engaged.

Lubrication in an engine works in basically two different ways, one is hydrodynamic and the other is direct contact sliding. Of the two, hydrodynamic lubrication is far more critical and what motor oil is mostly designed to create. It is where there is enough motion to allow one part to 'water ski' against another part without ever actually touching that other part. Main bearings, cam lobes and bearings, con rod bearings (mostly) are lubricated this way.

Shifting does not involve that though- only static, direct- contact lubrication comes into play. The shifting drum, forks and everything else involved in shifting do not float on a film of oil but make actual mechanical contact with the mating parts. The lubrication used in those cases is contact lube and is addressed by the EP (extreme pressure) lubricant additives in motor oil. The two major groups of EP usually used in motor oil are ZDDP (a chemical combination of zinc and phosphorus) and moly disulfide (moly), both of which are actually dry lubricants in suspension in the motor oil. I do not know why C-14s, at least mine, are so sensitive to lubricants regarding shifting but I do know that increasing the ZDDP content makes the bike shift better, easier and for much longer as the miles pile up on the oil. I think it is also interesting that the ZDDP content has been reduced <more or less> by about half in the latest formulations of motor oil in the US due to environmental concerns (the zinc can coat a catalytic converter and render it unable to catalyze). But the static or EP lubes have absolutely no effect on any surface being lubed as a hydrostatic bearing so the shifting feel is not indicative of the quality of a motor oil, at least not in the way we really need it to lubricate. An oil that causes (or allows) lousy shifting may be a wonderful lubricant for the parts of the engine that really need to be protected from wear.

I doubt your bike is worn enough anywhere in the transmission to cause any change in shifting feel and it is certainly not worn out.

It is funny that you mention shifting quality was a bit down with Motul and did not improve going back to Rotella T6 because I have found, at least in my own C-14, that T6 causes about the worst shifting of any oil I have tried. I honestly do believe that T6 is a great motor oil (as are all the diesel fleet oils IMO) but this last formulation was terrible from a shifting point of view- T5 was much better, again at least in my bike and my experience.

And the differences I have noticed are definitely due to the oil being used because they change immediately when the oil is changed and nothing else done to the bike. Something like clutch hydraulics could not cause that unless the hydraulic system was changed in some way at the same time the oil was changed.

Just for chuckles, it would be interesting to see what you thought of Rotella 15W-40 and C-14 shifting. It works much, much better than T6 in my bike. Delvac 15W-40 seems to work even better (another diesel fleet oil). I am going to try Delo 15W-40 next. Another benefit of these oils is that they are all quite inexpensive; I do not use them because they are cheap, I use them because they are excellent oils but the cheap aspect is a great side- advantage.

What I do find amazing though is how some users find some oils to allow very nice shifting while others of us find those identical oils to cause notchy shifting. That just does not make any sense to me- I am sure it is true and I believe the information, I just cannot find any logical reason why different models of the same motorcycle would respond so differently to the same motor oil? By the way, the best shifting oil I ever used was Pennzoil 10W-40 which is also the least expensive oil I have ever used. Maybe using recycled oil would be the cat's pajamas?   ;D

Brian

I have been puzzled for years about the reports of "notchy" shifting here; one because I had never experienced "notchy" shifting and two I don't understand the implied correlation between oil "quality" and  shifting performance. Lubrication of the simple mechanical moving parts of the shifting mechanisms would seem to demand many many times less lubrication/oil quality than parts like cam lobes, crank bearings, pistons rings and cylindar walls. So it seems to me if your oil has broken down to the pint that it can't properly lubricate the shift mehanisms than you engine should be toast.

So what causes poor shift quality or "notchy" shifting? I think  it can only be three things, misadjusted shift lever or clutch lever, inadequate hydraulic pressure or clutch drag due to excess oil viscosity Have you ever started a cold bike and noticed with the clutch pulled fully and in first gear the bike wants to creep forward? That is clutch drag. It usually goes away when the oil warms up.

So when a batch of oil starts to get old what is it that causes poor shifting. In my view it can't be loss of viscosity. Prove me wrong please.

Interestingly enough, other than hydraulic pressure problems or misadjusted  levers I had never in 40+ years experienced poor shift quality in any motorcycle until I tried some Motul V300 15W50, considered an excellent synthetic motorcycle specific oil, in my C14. Very minor but it is noticeable.  However,  there is now no change after draining the Motul and going back to Rotell T6 5W40 so it could be that my nearly 5 year old, 83000 mile Concours is past her prime.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »

Paranoia will destroy ya, and it all comes down to money and scare tactics. Who is "actually" an expert, who do we trust, who is not in it for themselves or the companies they work for? Oil analysis has been done on plenty of bikes running the fleet oils, some have even shown it to be superior to several high end "moto specific" oils. ;)  Never had a bike that burned oil, never had a clutch slip, shifting and engine temps have been excellent.......this has all been with Rotella and Delvac in my crankcases. Do as you wish, I will keep on using the diesel oils "good stuff".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline scooter

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 06:02:26 PM »
there ya go. get all the information you can and decide for yourself, not what some one else thinks.its the bike owners decision let them run what ever oil they want.im not going to change the way i service my bike because of some ones opinion and neither should any one else.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »
<snip...>

What I do find amazing though is how some users find some oils to allow very nice shifting while others of us find those identical oils to cause notchy shifting. That just does not make any sense to me- I am sure it is true and I believe the information, I just cannot find any logical reason why different models of the same motorcycle would respond so differently to the same motor oil? By the way, the best shifting oil I ever used was Pennzoil 10W-40 which is also the least expensive oil I have ever used. Maybe using recycled oil would be the cat's pajamas?   ;D

Brian

Totally agree with this.  After hearing from Pokey and Jim about how bad Amsoil worked for them, and knowing how well it has worked in my previous bikes, I tried some in my C14.  It worked great w/ very smooth shifting right to the end, even though I left it in a little too long (7,654 miles), as I was waiting to do the valve adjustment before changing it.

After the valve adjust, I changed the oil and used the same exact oil from the same exact case as the first batch, and after the first couple hundred miles, very notchy shifting.   :banghead:

So WTH? 

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2012, 03:02:18 PM »
You should have listened to Pokey and Jim.... ::) ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.